SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!! Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I went away to summer camp and my mom took it upon herself to sort out all my Lego pieces by color. I was impressed but they only lasted about two weeks of trying to keep them sorted.

I kinda wish Lego would just offer big boxes of random lego pieces for free building. They have small boxes and you can go to a Lego store and purchase individual pieces, but's such a pain.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
There are TWO types of LEGO play:

SET BUILDING - purchase the set and build it. It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set. The assembled sets can be played with together of course.

FREE BUILDING - this is where you just have a whole slew of random parts that you picked up for cheap at garage sales. eBay will likely be a place I look as well looks like they go for about $12 a pound. Though I am pretty sure my mother still has my tub of random LEGOS. These parts are to never be mixed with the parts from a set. A fully assembled free build can of course be put into play with fully assembled sets.

I found your picture online

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son used to play with them all of the time when he was little. Being that he is a big Star Wars fan, I am thinking about getting him the Millenium Falcon Lego set but man they are wanting crazy money for those.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I went away to summer camp and my mom took it upon herself to sort out all my Lego pieces by color. I was impressed but they only lasted about two weeks of trying to keep them sorted.

I kinda wish Lego would just offer big boxes of random lego pieces for free building. They have small boxes and you can go to a Lego store and purchase individual pieces, but's such a pain.

eBay is your friend. Buy random pieces by the pound.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set.

I am shocked and appalled. Your statements are an affront to all civilized men. You, sir, are a miscreant and a ne'er-do-well. I challenge you to a duel. Sabres at dawn.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i remember playing with lincoln logs

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
What is this "kit" you speak of? I had a huge bucket of random Legos and you use your imagination to build what you want.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

yeah, it became a "profit deal" specific kits make more $$ I used to have ALL separates but heck I'm 61. none of that duplo stuff either

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are 'Lego Compatible' bulk bags on Amazon.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
bulk bags

Yeah but that scares me in terms of quality. Are the bulk Amazon knock offs good? My grandson might enjoy it

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Okay, what if we rented a bounce house, threw in a few thousand legos and tossed the kids in? Would that be wrong?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You never ever ever ever mix disassembled kits.

... The hell you say?

Build the kit once as intended. Then play with it. Then disassemble it and put the pieces in the tub.

Whenever you want to build something custom, go for the tub-o-parts.

This is the One True Lego Path.

What kind of repressive, OCD, fun-killing Lego prison camp are you running, sir? Big Grin

This is exactly what I did as a kid. Sometimes I never even built the kit; it just got dumped into the big chest of LEGO parts. I built everything custom and just grabbed from what I had. They didn’t have the LEGO people back then like they do today so I built my own. It was two single blocks stacked on each other with a round LEGO as the head. When it came to a war, I twisted the body to identify who was dead. Total imagination.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
What you need is some kind of lego app that utilizes your phone's camera & figures out which pieces go to which set by looking at a pile of legos.

I found that one funny.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set.

I am shocked and appalled. Your statements are an affront to all civilized men. You, sir, are a miscreant and a ne'er-do-well. I challenge you to a duel. Sabres at dawn.

You do not duel with the left-brain lego curmudgeon. You shun them and giggle at the fact that they would probably employ super-glue to keep their precious sets from being strewn about, mingling amongst other heathen sets.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy whose mother glued his LEGO sets together. He was PISSED...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kid enjoyed playing with Legos. My cats enjoyed them equally.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Got the kit that was supposed to be the "carnival in the park" set or something.

Made a scale replica of the UH-1B Huey gunship from Apocalypse Now instead. Perfect except it was red and yellow instead of green and black.

Mom was pissed I didn't make what was on the box. Dad was pissed I let mom know that he'd let me watch Apocalypse Now.

Worst Christmas ever.

Wink

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We usually keep kits separate for a few weeks, but inevitably they get assimilated with the rest.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
What is this "kit" you speak of? I had a huge bucket of random Legos and you use your imagination to build what you want.

There are thousands of them and many are pretty slick and quite costly.

What you describe is the Free Building I addressed in my follow up post.

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:

There are 'Lego Compatible' bulk bags on Amazon.

Ohh, HELL NO!!!!! Lego compatible is even more blasphemous than mixing a set into the Free Build parts!!!!

Plenty of good clean 100% all LEGO bulk sales on ebay.
No LEGO compatible please!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
quote:

You do not duel with the left-brain lego curmudgeon. You shun them and giggle at the fact that they would probably employ super-glue to keep their precious sets from being strewn about, mingling amongst other heathen sets.

NO GLUE! No way, no how!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked at Legos in a couple decades. I cant imagine only being able to build something in particular and that's it. Just get an actual model to build at least that way it looks cool when it's done.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post