SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love my wife but she belongs nowhere near a LEGO set!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
My son can do puzzles like I have never seen. Puts them together faster than I can and he does not look at the box to see the final picture. So I figured simple LEGOS would be good.
I am buying him the small $5 3n1 Creator sets. There are 3 different options to build but can only be 1 at a time. He does alright. I have him find the piece and show him where it goes. He makes it about 3/4 of the way thru and looses interest until I finish it and then loves playing with it.
He asked my wife to do one with him the other night. She has never done a LEGO set ever.

Oh, my dear goodness!!!! It was so painful. She did not care if she was using light grey when it was supposed to be dark grey. The wheels were clearly facing the wrong way.

Then today my boy asked if we could build the train and he brings me the Tupperware tub and I was mortified!!!!!!
She just dumped all of the disassembled kits into the same tub.

You never ever ever ever mix disassembled kits.

She has lost LEGO duty.

What is cool now that I did not have as a kid is you can download the instructions. So whenever I buy a kit I download the PDF and have a folder on the computer so we'll always have it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Legos are Scandinavian caltrops

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

... The hell you say?

Build the kit once as intended. Then play with it. Then disassemble it and put the pieces in the tub.

Whenever you want to build something custom, go for the tub-o-parts.

This is the One True Lego Path.

What kind of repressive, OCD, fun-killing Lego prison camp are you running, sir? Big Grin

Posts: 32516 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Legos are Scandinavian caltrops

Truth. A painful truth.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
What you need is some kind of lego app that utilizes your phone's camera & figures out which pieces go to which set by looking at a pile of legos.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Rogue has nailed it.

I grew up with one kit. A small box with lots of imagination. I built all kinds of things with names no one ever heard of.

DaVinci got nuthin on me

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My legos are in a tub or two all mixed up. Find instructions and dig for the pieces. I can't imagine keeping the pieces for every set in their own containers. What a limit on the imagination of a child.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No matter how many and various pieces the boys got, they always resulted in some kind of weapon. No matter how long and completely they cleaned up after, there was always at least one left in the carpet for my bare feet to find after tucking them in at night.

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm on both sides of the camp re '1 box of all sets'
Great for a la carte building, but when my daughter wants to re-build a set, it takes well over an hour to find the parts in the mish mash of sets.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

... The hell you say?

Build the kit once as intended. Then play with it. Then disassemble it and put the pieces in the tub.

What kind of repressive, OCD, fun-killing Lego prison camp are you running, sir? Big Grin

Exactly! We NEVER had plans. It was what we THOUGHT we could build or imagine!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I built all 7 Battlestars... from scratch, no prefab Lego kit.

Routinely built an 8' skyscraper... from scratch, no prefab Lego kit.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great thing about legos is if you need to escape quickly and your attacker is barefoot, just dump them all over the floor!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

... The hell you say?

My childhood precisely. Though I think I got only a very few of this specialized kits, I spent my youth fighting with the basic shapes and sizes....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The primary point of most kits is to add to the big bucket for making your own creations.

It's in the waiver.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When my younglings were very young I would play legos with them. when they were not watching I'd steal a few legos here and few there until there were just a couple of blocks left. Then it would dawn on them that pops was up to his old tricks and they'd attack.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Aside from one Expert builder set, ( a helicopter ) I had a big, metal can, ( it used to store hats, or maybe cookies.. ) that all of the LEGOs went into between build projects.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

... The hell you say?

RELEASE THE KRAGLE!!!!

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My wife sorted all Lego by color so it's like Lego store with bins of each color. We easily have thousands of dollars of legos.

You can get the directions for any set online and build any set you wish.

The are also Lego rentals, comes in the mail assemble play with it ship it back get a new. Service is to expensive for us but a cool idea.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
There are TWO types of LEGO play:

SET BUILDING - purchase the set and build it. It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set. The assembled sets can be played with together of course.

FREE BUILDING - this is where you just have a whole slew of random parts that you picked up for cheap at garage sales. eBay will likely be a place I look as well looks like they go for about $12 a pound. Though I am pretty sure my mother still has my tub of random LEGOS. These parts are to never be mixed with the parts from a set. A fully assembled free build can of course be put into play with fully assembled sets.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is only to be disassembled for ease of storage purposes and to be built again as instructed. Those disassembled parts are never to be mixed with the disassembled parts from another set.

I am shocked and appalled. Your statements are an affront to all civilized men. You, sir, are a miscreant and a ne'er-do-well. I challenge you to a duel. Sabres at dawn.

Posts: 32516 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post