SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lost my Dad this week
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost my Dad this week Login/Join 
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted

He was a single father who did the best he could to raise me. He was generous, kind and occasionally a real pain in the ass.
He worked over 40 years at a college in various positions ending on Head of Registrations and Records.
He loved to fish and took yearly trips with his buddies from work to the St Lawrence River each year. Then to Deep Creek as his health declined and then this year he had to pass altogether. He was reclusive during the rest of the year and never remarried after my mother left us when I was five. I taught him to shoot and got him interested in firearms as a hobby. How's that for a twist? We shared that for awhile but it got hard for him as the cancer progressed. He was a very good shot though! He got cancer in 2001 and was only given 5 years. He beat that prognosis I'd say.
Though some years weren't great others were and he fought hard to stay here. Over the last two months or so he was in and out of the hospital for pneumonia then aspiration pneumonia twice. The last admission he never made it back home and he passed at around 6pm on 11/11/19. He went within hours after telling me he wanted to go and he was tired of fighting. He had suffered terribly the two weeks he was in the hospital. And actually the cancer never got him but the cures did. Radiation caused damage to his throat and eventually most of what he swallowed went into his lungs instead of stomach. I will miss him and in fact the past two nights I almost picked up the phone to check on him like usual. RIP Dad

This is my first big loss other than my beloved dogs. And I am not quite sure it has hit me. Somehow this whole making arrangements thing and dealing with all of the loose ends, bills, closing accounts etc takes away from the time you are supposed to grieve. So I guess I will grieve when it's all done. Thanks for listening......

The pics are old and older still but that's all I could find.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Sincerest of condolences for a great Dad. I’m sure he knew how well loved he was & I’m sure he will always be proud of the person you’ve become.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great Dad.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your father is playing with your pups at the Rainbow Bridge.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry Tara. I remember you posting about him in the past. May he RIP. We recently lost a family member who fought hard and ultimately went home.
Sounds like you took care of each other from start to finish. No relationship is perfect. Thing happen along the way. But a lasting, loving relationship is as valuable as anything on earth in my humble opinion.
Surely you will miss him. But he will always be part of you.

Glad to see you post and share some thoughts
on him with us.

Take care.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Frown

I lost my father several years ago, after battling a multitude of lengthy illnesses, multiple procedures and hospital stays including one stay for 6 months. In dealing with all that, I know how much you must have had to deal with and in dealing with it for so many years.

Somehow, in dealing with all the arrangements and details, and there are so very many to deal with, we sometimes get lost and struggle to find the time to remember loved ones we have lost. I hope you are able to take the time to both grieve, but also to remember the good times with him, and all the smiles and all the moments you two shared together.

Your Dad sounds like a great guy, like someone many of us would have enjoyed spending time with...and I'm certain he was lucky to have a daughter like you.

T, I'm so very sorry for your loss. When the turmoil and commotion of arrangements settle down, I truly hope you can take the time to just think of him with fondness, knowing that you are a better person for having him in your life. I'll say a little prayer for you.

Although it doesn't happen as often as when he first died, I still occasionally find myself thinking about Dad and reaching for the phone, only to realize that I won't ever be able to call him again just to check on him or ask him a question.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. May your father RIP.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. My father passed away in February, still think of him daily.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear it. There are no words.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think about you every time I see the first aid preparedness bag you sent. It is in Mrs DF’s car. That makes this news sting. I’m so sorry for your loss.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss of your Father.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, Tara. My dad and I really didn't like each other very much, but I miss him constantly and regret that I didn't try harder to get along...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."

You have certainly done this.

May your dad's name and memory, always be for a blessing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My sympathies to you Tara.

Take solace that you did a lot for him and with him. And keep his memory alive within you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My sincerest sympathies. Prayers for you and yours.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My deepest sympathies Tara. I lost my father 6 years ago and I miss him every day.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My condolences and prayers.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss.

I hope that you find comfort in your memories of the good times.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I am truly sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post