SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    R.I.P. Robert J. Wick
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Robert J. Wick Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
My Step-Father died today, at age 94.

My birth Father died when I was 17 years old. My Mother re-married a couple of years later, to Bob, a wonderful Step-Dad to me for 40 years.

He was an amazing man, serving in WW II. At age 80, he had a both knees replaced,because he and my Mother planned to continue to visit England, which required him to be able to walk the countryside.

At age 85, he discovered he was adopted at birth. He found he had a Sister who was still alive in Detroit. He was able to meet her and communicate with her for a couple of years before she died.

When he married my Mother, we had an Irish Setter named Lizzie, whom he became best friends with. Lizzie loved him and the car rides to Kelley's Island. He and Lizzie would share from the same container of UDF, Dutch Almond Chocolate Ice Cream (yes, I know this is probably not recommended), using the same spoon. One bite for Bob, one for Lizzie. Lizzie lived to be 14 years old. The only time I ever saw him cry, was when he had to take Lizzie to put her down.

Every Easter Sunday, we would have brunch at their home. Bob would cook several pounds of bacon on the grill. We would eat much of the bacon before it even made it to the kitchen with the rest of the food.

Smoked cigars and drank beer on their Gazebo and on Kelleys Island.

So many wonderful memories flooding through my mind.

He had CHF and received a pacemaker/defib about 10 years ago. He slowed down a little bit every year. Earlier this year, he fell and broke his neck. He was in a brace. His Doctor told him he would have the brace for the rest of his life. The brace made him miserable and he asked for another option. He was recommended to a Surgeon who told him if his Cardiologist would give his approval, he would operate on him. Bob opted for the surgery, understanding the potential downside was considerable. The upside was, if successful, he would only need the brace for 30 days.

The surgery was successful and he was excited to shed the brace.

2-3 months ago, he did buy a Zinger (think kitchen chair with a motor), because by the time he walked to Happy Hour and Dinner every evening, he was winded. The Zinger provided him the ability to enjoy Happy Hour and Dinner every evening.

About a month ago, His heart Doc recommended getting Hospice involved. His heart was failing and there was nothing more he could do.

This did not slow Bob down. This past Tuesday, he still made it down for Happy Hour and Dinner.

Before I left for vacation (October 11), Bob did require assistance showering and getting to bed. He had spoken with a NP, and asked him to be frank regarding the future. The NP told Bob, he would likely go to sleep one night and not wake up. He understood the situation and was at peace. At the recommendation of a Hospice NP, we did have his defibrulator turned off.

When I tucked him in that evening, I asked if he was in any pain. He said he had no pain at all.

While I was away, his condition worsened. He began having pain. They brought in a hospital bed to try and make him more comfortable.

Yesterday, he was inconsolable and the meds provided little relief. Hospice recommended he be moved to their facility. When he arrived, he was unconscious, but breathing on his own. We visited last evening and said our goodbyes.

I went at lunch today. His breathing was very, very shallow and irregular. I left his side at 1:15. My Step-Brother texted me at 2:10, stating that Bob had passed.

He lived a good long life and did not suffer in the end. What more can someone ask for?

Thank you for everything Bob.

R.I.P. Bob. Give Lizzie a treat for me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A life well-lived and obviously an exceptionally strong, positive impact on you and those around him.

May he indeed Rest In Peace and may you and yours be comforted with memories like those you’ve shared with us here.

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my condolences

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good Bless him. I loved how you memorialized him. Sorry to hear of his passing. Sounded like a great life

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That was a wonderful read. I’m sorry he’s gone. I’m sorry you’ll feel his absence. You did him an honor by posting this here.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences on the passing of your step-dad / father. I'm sure he & Lizzie are playing and eating ice cream together again.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, but what a guy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A true man's man!! I'm glad he lived a live worth living!! Now he can rest.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Bob. Condolences to you and your family, Steve.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. What a great man

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Hell of a run for what sounds like one helluva a man.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
What a life, and what a man.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My condolences and prayers for you and the family.
I completely understand as I lost my decades long stepdad at 95 this past May. It has left a lasting void.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for Bob, you and the family. Condolences on your loss. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for you and your family’s loss

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Condolences on your loss, but what a life he led and how fortunate you were to have such a great step-dad.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
He lived a good long life. His way. My condolences to your family.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My condolences on your loss. May the memories and lessons that Bob provided last a lifetime.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and your family.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post