SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musher advice; carry a bigger gun
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musher advice; carry a bigger gun Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps she's a transplant from Cali?

Doubtful if she had a dog team. The Cali person would be doing selfies with the cute moose.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Her family moved to AK from Arkansas when she was five.
Her parents are mushers.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In western Marquette County we have moose. They from time to stroll out onto the highway. And then just stand there. Traffic comes to a halt until the Moose decides to move on.
One of the things about Moose is they seen docile and slow moving. Harmless, even. Until Bullwinkle decides you are a threat. He can go from "oh, look a Moose"! To "oh holy shit, a Moose" in a nano second!
Real World Moose Encounter: I like to explore old mine sites and was looking for one just across the Baraga / Marquette Co. line. I was on a two track and hopped off my bike to tinkle. In mid stream, I looked up and emerging from a swampy area was a Moose cow and a calf. Distance: 40 feet or so. No cover for me except putting my bike between Mom and me. I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum and got it right out. But confidence in putting an end to a potential stomping was not high. Mom strolled out onto the two track and waited for the kid to catch up. Then both stood and stared at me for what seemed to be a week. They then just strolled off into the swamp on the other side of the two track. I had a small camera and briefly thought about taking pictures of the huge tracks the two of them left on the road but figured discretion was the better part of valor and scooted! Without a doubt, the riskiest wildlife encounter I have had since moving up here. Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

This is exacerbated by the fact that vehicles nosedive when the brakes are applied.

One of my friends told me that part of learning to drive in Canada, at least in BC, was to not hit the brakes if a moose wanders in front of you. Best to hit it good and hope that it flops/rolls over the top of your vehicle. Slowing down just increased the chances of it crushing the passenger compartment.

Big ol meat blocks on stilts.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Hiked Bald Mountain with some buddies in High School was not into guns really then. We had planned to hike Holy Cross but it was closed to hikers due to bear.
Well on our way up Bald we encountered a cow moose and I had no clue how large they were.
She seemed pretty pissed lots of snorting, grunting, and hoof scraping. She dropped her head a couple of times and I thought she was going to charge. We were in some pretty dense pines which is my guess why she did not actually charge.
We just slowly and quietly backed away. Kept my eyes on her the whole time. Never saw any babies but I am guessing as pissed as she was they were around somewhere.

I can only imagine how big a bull is.

How ironic. I am watching the newest Outdoor Boys episode with my boys and they are driving in Alaska and he has a Moose counter on the screen.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
“That would be asinine to go back out there on the same trail, the same place, and not have a gun where I can’t truly put down an animal if I have to,” she said.[/i]
Uh, forgive me lady but it was utterly asinine for you to go out there in the first place with a .380. Because of this broad's utter incompetence, she has four dogs undergoing surgery, and she was almost killed. I am totally inexperienced when it comes to back country adventures, but even I would know a .380 is totally unacceptable for this purpose. Wow, just wow!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We had planned to hike Holy Cross but it was closed to hikers due to bear.

That's insane. You drive "up" to Holy Cross city. I've done it a couple of times. My wife now refuses to go. Go figure.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
She did carry a .380 caliber gun because there are few people where she trains, ...
A .380 ACP in Alaskan wilderness? I'm certainly no expert on Alaska, but, from what I understand about it that was just plain st00pid.
quote:
She has since upgraded to a larger caliber firearm after it didn’t stop the moose.
One hopes "larger caliber" means more than "9mm".

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize that weight is a concern with dog sledding, but the sled should easily carry a long gun, right? Maybe in a scabbard similar to the way you carry on horseback.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Seems like the a .380 would only be good enough to shoot yourself with, rather than be stomped into a meat pie.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Anchorage, Alaska, from 2009 to 2014. Two interesting moose stories:

One Iditarod, I went over to my buddy’s apartment to walk downtown for the ceremonial start. I had just street parked and was lifting my windshield wipers up off the windshield (prevents freezing to windshield which extends life) when a moose walked around the corner. It charged as soon as it saw me. I barely made it inside my truck. It definitely got the heart pumping.

My employee's husband was a paratrooper at JBER and the Colonel was late the day they were deploying to Afghanistan. He didn't want to leave a vehicle at the base while deployed so he rode his mountain bike, and while whizzing down a trail on base he found himself between mama and her calves. He did the tree dance for 30 minutes with mama. At least he had a good story when he arrived late.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Several years back I took a trip and flew from ATL to Toronto and took a puddle jumper from Toronto to North Bay. At -40 thoughts freeze and urine crystalizes in the body but hey, it’s Canada. Drove a long way north to Kirkland Lake to spend Christmas with my new found, beautiful Canadian hottie in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Anyway, I digress, there are tons of signs warning of moose crossing roads and we passed many right next to the road grazing. We passed within feet of several. The height surprised the hell out of me. My .45/70’s might tickle it if not a well placed shot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
An old CBC TV show called This Hour Has 22 Minuets did a bit about the danger of a moose encounter that said it was not like having a dog humping your leg, eh. LOL.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
As I understand Alaska law, you may defend and protect your property if you are/have not provoked the attack/threat by game/wildlife.

Nothing specific to species that are the threat.

So, yeah, polar bears. And Bald Eagles are not on a protected species or endangered list, but may be protected (as well as other species) on indigenous people's lands.

All raptors are protected. You can't even possess a feather, never mind kill one. Although I think you can if they threaten your stock.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A bolt action rifle in .375 Holland & Holland would put that moose to sleep for eternity.

A handgun is just not gonna cut it.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A bolt action rifle in .375 Holland & Holland would put that moose to sleep for eternity.

A handgun is just not gonna cut it.

AK Super is saying a .44 or a 10mm...
I'm not going to say he's wrong, because that's his backyard.

But I'm with you!
If I ever make my way "North, to Alaska" I'm leaving my handguns at home and getting a Barrett .50cal. I'm not taking any chances with being under-gunned with wildlife.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A G20 loaded with fifteen 220 grain hard cast flat nose cartridges would make a nifty backup, but when there's a pissed-off moose thirty feet from you, you'll want the .375 H&H.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I'm going to want a Tank.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Captioning Para's moose picture:

^That's his "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do you, punk?" look.

And yes, 375 H&H although my Ruger #1 would would be fine. I doubt I'd get a follow up shot.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
As I understand Alaska law, you may defend and protect your property if you are/have not provoked the attack/threat by game/wildlife.

Nothing specific to species that are the threat.

So, yeah, polar bears. And Bald Eagles are not on a protected species or endangered list, but may be protected (as well as other species) on indigenous people's lands.

All raptors are protected. You can't even possess a feather, never mind kill one. Although I think you can if they threaten your stock.

I incorrectly stated that Bald Eagles are not "on a protected species or endangered list", when I was meant to say "threatened or endangered species list".

And as far as possession, several of my cousins have permits (being native) have and can posses feathers and certain parts. But generally, you are correct.

I stand corrected on the killing of an eagle that is attacking, thinking (stand your ground) and not willful or wanton destruction without it being a just defense.

But I could have said that better.

Now, it that eagle has a skateboard...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post