SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musher advice; carry a bigger gun
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musher advice; carry a bigger gun Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Giant moose tramples dog sled team in Alaska for almost an hour

A Giant bull moose spent an hour trampling a dog sled team in Alaska even after the owner emptied her gun into the animal.

Bridgett Watkins and her team of dogs were attacked by the moose last week while on a 52-mile run, leaving three dogs needing surgery.

"This has been the most horrific past 24 hours of my life," Watkins said in a Facebook post.

As the giant moose charged at her and her team, Watkins shot the animal, but it didn't stop him from stomping on the dogs, according to the post.

"I ran for my life and prayed I was fast enough to not be killed in that moment," she wrote.

After she and a friend trailing her took refuge behind her snowmobile, the moose charged at them and stopped 2 feet in front of the machine. She was able to cut six dogs free, but the moose went back over to continue trampling them for nearly an hour.

"I have never felt so helpless in my life. He would not leave us alone and he even stood over top of the team refusing to retreat," Watkins wrote.

Some of Watkins' friends arrived at their location and were able to kill the moose, but four dogs sustained serious injuries.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gia...-sled-182028294.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, moose are big enough to do serious damage if they get pissed off.

In my experience, most folks who have never encountered a moose greatly underestimate their size. These aren't just slightly larger deer. They're properly massive creatures.

When I worked in Maine for a time, the company insurance for my employer required that all employees with out of state DLs had to go through a supplemental Maine driving class. It was nearly all about what to do if there's a moose in the road, plus a bit about roundabouts (which were mostly a New England thing at the time, although that's changed in recent years).

I still recall the instructor's halfway joking - but really not - instructions: "If you have a choice between hitting a moose in the road, or swerving and hitting a tree, you should aim for the tree... It will hurt less."

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Terrible story. Wonder what she was carrying?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A møøse once bit my sister.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Note to self: "Bring moose gun, not mouse gun."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A .22 short rifle, single shot, bolt action Cricket model.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Alaska I carried a Super Blackhawk with hard cast bullets.

If I was in the woods, I also carried an 1895 Marlin .45-70 with hard cast bullets at 1,800 fps.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one in person but have seen pics of them destroying cars in traffic encounters.

I'm surprised it hung around for that long after the initial charge and continued to trample them. Never thought a moose would be that deliberate. I guess I was lulled into complacency by the friendly Mr. Moose on Captain Kangaroo as a kid.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why if she shot at it once, she didn't shoot at it again (and again and again) if necessary. It was obviously a dangerous creature, and it got shot and killed by the people who turned up at the end, so it wasn't actually invincible or indestructible.

How strange. I wonder if she dropped her weapon when she ran away or didn't carry reload(s).

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I don't understand why if she shot it once, she didn't shoot it again (and again and again) if necessary. It was obviously a dangerous creature, and it got shot and killed by the people who turned up at the end, so it wasn't actually invincible or indestructible.

How strange. I wonder if she dropped her weapon when she ran away.

"the owner emptied her gun into the animal"

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, saw that, then edited my post to reflect it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Hah!

The headline called it a "giant moose," but it looked like the regular size.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Not normal, but not totally abnormal either.

An interior bull moose is larger than many domestic horses. They're also beyond stupid, and anger easily over trivial and unexpected stuff. They have poor eyesight, and a pack of wolves...is a threat to moose. Still, this is a Fairbanks musher operating on a known trail with a snowmachine making noise... not what you'd expect to happen.

Moose are more dangerous than bears. Alaskans know that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Can you shoot a moose to protect your dogs?

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe carry a Tavor 7 for moose and squirrel bear?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Mind you, møøse bites can be pretty nasty.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please excuse the big city kid over here, but I've seen a moose or two in my day.

Huge.
As in really huge!

What size handgun would one carry for a moose?
Hell, I'm feeling a little undersized with a .44 in bear country.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Yeah, saw that, then edited my post to reflect it.

And we don't know how many shots actually hit the moose. Emptying the gun doesn't mean shots on target.

I'm sure I'd be poor shot if a moose was trampling me.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Can you shoot a moose to protect your dogs?

Yes.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Please excuse the big city kid over here, but I've seen a moose or two in my day.

Huge.
As in really huge!

What size handgun would one carry for a moose?
Hell, I'm feeling a little undersized with a .44 in bear country.

Shot placement goes a long way, but a moose hide with winter coat on is pretty thick. magnum rounds work pretty well, but shotgun and rifle rounds work better.

I carry a 44mag (329PD) as a minimum in outdoor situations. If I actually think I might need it, I carry a 45-70 (1895SBL).

A 10mm is common here, and I have plans to build one at some point for outdoor carry.

www.rikrlandvs.com