SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musher advice; carry a bigger gun
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musher advice; carry a bigger gun Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Raptors? We have hawks around here, more than one might expect. I don't know why we have such a high concentration. Maybe it's because of the old-growth, tall trees. Last year, I saw something on the street in front of my house which startled me- a squirrel skeleton- a fresh skeleton minus the head. Not a single scrap of flesh left on the bones. As the saying goes, "'tweren't Mormons!"

The wife occasionally reminds me that hawks are a protected species. She feels the need to do this because I've told her that if I see a hawk anywhere near our cat, I'm gonna punch it in its hawk head and then stomp a mudhole in its hawk ass. The state won't be able to charge me because I'll surely bleed out on the spot from the clawing I receive.

Regarding sufficient moose medicine, well, I can't recall their name, but in the early 20th century there was a big-game hunter who used to kill African elephants with 7x57mm Mauser. If it works on African elephant, it'll work on moose.

**edit**

Here's the guy: Karamojo Bell

Not pictured on that page: his gigantic brass balls.

"He is noted for using smaller calibre bullets rather than the heavy recoiling, larger calibre bullets that were popular with other big game hunters. Around 800 of his kills were made with Mauser 98 rifles chambered for the 7×57mm Mauser/.275 Rigby (using the 1893 pattern standard military 11.2-gram (172.8 gr) grain round-nosed full metal jacket load), which today is considered to be too small for elephants, and are no longer legal for dangerous African game; Bell preferred smaller calibers because, besides being lighter rifles to carry, they recoiled less and therefore are quicker to the second shot. Bell found that German and English military ammunition was the most reliable, which also encouraged him to use the smaller calibers. His favourite rifles were a bespoke Rigby-made 7×57mm Mauser with which he shot the majority of his elephants, a 'wand-like' Mannlicher–Schoenauer 6.5×54mm carbine, which he abandoned due to failure of the available ammunition, a Lee–Enfield sporting rifle in .303 British and Mauser rifles chambered in .318 Westley Richards."

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, but he’d shoot them behind the ear, AKA the Bell shot.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was confused. I thought he shot them in the scrotum, AKA the Ball shot.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, the biggest handguns I have are .50AE, .500 S&W Magnum, and a BFR in .45-70. Reckon one of those would do the job?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’ve run into moose a couple times.
Once on the freeway. Full grown. Definitely bigger than our truck. It turned its rack our way and we threw our vehicle in reverse and got the fuck out of dodge.

The next time was right down the street from our house. It was a calf, about the size of a horse. I was driving, on my way to dog training class with my mutt, and I see a see a horse trotting towards us. Surreal, since I’m in a suburban neighborhood with no stables around, and I recognize the gait isn’t right…finally realize it’s a moose as I’m passing. Luckily, it had somewhere to be, so no issues there! This is NOT a creature to mess with. Had an acquaintance with brain damage after her car was totaled by a run in with a moose.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Raptors? We have hawks around here, more than one might expect. I don't know why we have such a high concentration. Maybe it's because of the old-growth, tall trees.

They are becoming prevalent everywhere especially the Red Tail Hawk. It does not matter if it is a treed area or not.
I live in a fairly unique area. I can be in the heart of downtown and drive in any direction for 15 minutes and will be in the midst of nearly treeless horse farms, then travel another 10 minutes and be in some deep forests, it I travel south from downtown the trees areas go to the river that are palisades with hundreds of feet drop offs to the river.
Red tails are absolutely everywhere. We have a 20 mile mostly limited access loop that somewhat separates urban and suburban areas of town. You take the time to drive the entire loop I bet you would see at least 20 red tails perched on the street lights along the way. They watch the grass median for little critters.
I see more red tailed hawks than I do cardinals or blue jays.

Our subdivisions are loaded with Peregrine Falcons. I love watching them fly between the houses. They are so blistering fast.

Growing up one would see Raptors on occasion but only in the woods especially if there was some decent water ways.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome picture parabellum. That is one impressive animal.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That moose has the look of an animal that knows it doesn't have to prove anything to anybody.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my twenty bucks would be put on the moose.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, I think 5.56 would work...

...provided you could launch 30 rounds of it a single burst and then follow it up with a couple of 40mm grenades

"SAY 'HALLO' TO MY LEETLE FRAND!!!"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard or read what the "high powered" rifle was that killified the beast? I'd guess that is of interest to our folks here, just like the failure of the .380. Another interesting point hinted at was how many of the .380 shots hit the thing and where. Remember, a mis isn't going to kill it unless it scares it to death. Tiny little handgun rounds don't usually do that.

I also must admit to ignorance of what a high powered rifle is. OK, I know one when I see it or worse feel it in my shoulder. I also know some of the unqualified pistol rounds when I see them. I could be wrong. A while back an Alaskan guide did killify a grizzly with a 9mm at close range with a single shot from a Smith model 39. Makes you wonder if the brand of gun really matters...Frown

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A G20 loaded with fifteen 220 grain hard cast flat nose cartridges would make a nifty backup, but when there's a pissed-off moose thirty feet from you, you'll want the .375 H&H.

Dang. I just sold my 375 (M70 pre 64)

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
If I recall, that show Wild Alaska Something with the cute Phred, seemed to show a Marlin lever in 45-70 quite often. I think...

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Can you shoot a moose to protect your dogs?

That thought crossed my mind, knowing it's not unheard of for dog sledders to cull a fair number of their dogs at times.

Probably okay in the eyes of the law.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, the biggest handguns I have are .50AE, .500 S&W Magnum, and a BFR in .45-70. Reckon one of those would do the job?

flashguy

Yes, but you need a trailer for the BFR.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post