SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
There are 5 Stages of Grief:

Stage 1–Denial; Dems experienced this with Election and the subsequently violent anti-Trump election demonstrations.

Stage 2–Anger; Dems experienced this with the Inauguration and the subsequent “pussy hat” demonstrations by the femiNazis.

Stage 3–Bargaining; Dems currently undergoing this with the various “Russia collusion” investigations, impeachment demands/25th Amendment attempts, “Dreamer” Govt shutdown.

Stage 4–Depression; What the Dems will have and be full-blown in after the 2018 Congressional elections when they fail to retake the Congress.

Stage 5–Acceptance; something the Dems will never arrive at.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
"I have argued earlier this was an incredibly dumb decision by Sessions because this was not an environment of "justice", but rather an attempted coup to overturn the election...."

Incredibly dumb, or gutless?

I’d say it was uncommonly ethical and far-sighted.

The Attormey General is always in a delicate position. Usually, the AG post goes to someone very important in the campaign. John Mitchell was head of Nixon's, Bobby was Jack’s brother.

If any issues arise involving misdeeds by higher ups in that administration, implicating nominees of the President, friends of the President, the Attorney General is not going to be the one to head the investigation and prosecution. This is one driving factor in the independent prosecutor/counsel law(s), so far not a completely satisfactory resolution of the problem, especially in the ultrapartisan climate.

Maybe it used to be that when underlings were accused of heinously damaging activities, they would be fired, plead to something relatively trivial and be off the front pages with scarcely a mention. The Attorney General would supervise these messy affairs and no one would complain too much as long as it was discrete, some justice was meted out, everyone’s dignitude was more or less unsullied and attention could be returned to looting the Treasury. All parties went along on this basis, kind of like when the mafia and the cops understood that each had a role, there were boundries to what was permitted, everyone had a piece of the action and prospered.

The first prominent departure was Nixon’s dirty tricks, and ever since it has gone progressively down hill. Media types have Pulitzers to win, and politics has turned into 24/7 fuck you. The Attorney General can’t be the supervisor of investigations and prosecutions involving administration figures these days, when everyone lawyers up and angles for a book deal.

Holder and Lynch should have been so concerned with ethics, and we roundly lambasted them for those lapses. Now Sessions acts, in my view, appropriately, and is catching hell over it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I am hoping the Nunes memo makes us very happy, but I am anticipating we already know (or at least highly suspect) much of what is in it.

Remember that Trey Gowdy was the only Republican House intel comm member who read the underlying material that this memo summarizes.

Gowdy held an interview yesterday and said he wants the memo released.

“If you think your viewers want to know whether or not the dossier was used in court proceedings,
whether or not it was vetted before it was used,
whether or not it’s ever been vetted.

If you are interested in who paid for the dossier. If you’re interested in Christopher Steele’s relationship with Hillary Clinton and the Democratic National Committee, then, yes, you’ll want the memo to come out,” Gowdy explained.

“Do you want to know that the Democratic National Committee paid for material that was never vetted, that was included in a court proceeding?” he continued.

“Do you want to know whether or not the primary source in these court proceedings had a bias against one candidate? Do you want to know whether or not he said he’d do anything to keep that candidate from becoming president?”

Gowdy was supportive of the FBI and Department of Justice reviewing the memo before it's released, but said those agencies are aware of the information in it.

“There’s nothing in this memo the Department is not already aware of,” he said.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...-to-testify-n2441108

A very small number of REPs and DEMs from other committees have also read the underlying material. Someone from Grassley's committee, someone from Goodlatte's committee, and someone from Richard Burr's committee have read the underlying material.

Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
McCabe is stepping down

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
He's trying to wait out the clock to make his retirement date...needs to get indicted before that & lose his retirement.

quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
McCabe is stepping down

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
McCabe is stepping down

This traitor should be in Leavenworth NOT collecting a Pension dime!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NYT article

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...o.html?smid=tw-share

A secret, highly contentious Republican memo reveals that Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein approved an application to extend surveillance of a former Trump campaign associate shortly after taking office last spring, according to three people familiar with it.

The renewal shows that the Justice Department under President Trump saw reason to believe that the associate, Carter Page, was acting as a Russian agent. But the reference to Mr. Rosenstein’s actions in the memo — a much-disputed document that paints the investigation into Russian election meddling as tainted from the start — indicates that Republicans may be moving to seize on his role as they seek to undermine the inquiry.

The memo’s primary contention is that F.B.I. and Justice Department officials failed to adequately explain to an intelligence court judge in initially seeking a warrant for surveillance of Mr. Page that they were relying in part on research by an investigator, Christopher Steele, that had been financed by the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

A handful of senior Justice Department officials can approve an application to the secret surveillance court, but in practice that responsibility often falls to the deputy attorney general

important note: above is not about the first FISA warrant in summer of 2016, this is about an extension warrant in spring 2017. Rosenstein was appointed Dep AG 26 Apr 2017

Rosenstein appointed Mueller as special counsel 17 May 2017

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
According to the CNBC story in the first post about this above,

quote:
McCabe, who served a brief stint as acting director of the bureau after Trump fired ex-FBI chief James Comey, will remain on the payroll until March, when he is eligible to retire with full benefits, NBC said. He had been expected to leave.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d say it was uncommonly ethical and far-sighted.

I’m, I sure hope you’re right. I for one really appreciate your wisdom and experience even if you are a lawyer. Wink

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That Rosenstein approved it, if true, wouldn't surprise me in the least. I have long felt he was tainted. How perfect it was that the dems bullied Sessions into recusing himself, because then total control of the "collusion" investigation would fall to Rosenstein. And who did he chose? Mueller, whom he knew from the Uranium One investigation which they both took part in. It is Rosenstein's job to keep Mueller "on track" during the colusion investugation, but as we have seen he has done the opposite and allows Mueller to run rampant wherever he feels like, completly out of the scope of the initial investigation.

And now McCabe gets to take terminal leave and retire will full benefits. Amazing.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
McCabe will be 50 on 5 May 2018.

Don't know how his annual leave plays into the day he retires. For FBI, a special agent can retire at 50 w 20 years service.

I think McCabe has 22 years at FBI

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Lynch was AG until January 20.

Sally Yates was Acting AG from the 20th until she was fired on the 30th. Dana Boente took over until February 9, when Jeff Sessions was sworn in.

Sessions recused himself from campaign related issues March 2. Boente stepped in as Acting AG on those issues, pending confirmation of a Deputy AG.

Rod Rosenstein was nominated as Deputy AG on January 31, confirmed by the Senate 94-6 April 25 and was sworn in on the 26th. IOW, he was nominated before Sessions recused himself.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...s-visit-to-hill.html

Sources told Fox News' Catherine Herridge that FBI Director Christopher Wray went to the Capitol on Sunday to view the four-page memo.

McCabe steps down next day

Fox reporting that McCabe was "removed"

According to one source, Wray was asked to point out inaccuracies or other issues with the wording -- and said he would need “his people to take a look at it.” The source said the review is ongoing.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm certain that he just wants to spend more time with his family.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
hard to check the news w/o some new revelation

http://thefederalist.com/2018/...ng-that-led-to-leak/

The FBI’s top brass initiated conversations with a White House official that were quickly leaked to CNN, according to a new book.

Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe asked to speak privately with White House chief of staff Reince Priebus following a February 2017 intelligence briefing

McCabe said he asked for the meeting to tell Priebus that “everything” in a New York Times story authored by Michael S. Schmidt, Mark Mazzetti, and Matt Apuzzo was “bullsh-t.”

The story was yet another one of those anonymous “bombshells” you’ve heard so much about during the Trump era. It was headlined “Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence” and was sourced to not one, not two, not three, but four “current and former American officials.”

CNN’s Pamela Brown, Jim Sciutto, and Evan Perez reported a very similar story, also sourced to anonymous officials. Sciutto is a former Obama administration appointee who is close to Obama administration officials. Perez has extensive ties to Fusion GPS, the Democrat-funded firm that created the Russia narrative.

McCabe claimed to want Priebus to know the FBI’s perspective that this story was not true. Priebus pointed to the televisions that were going non-stop on the story. He asked if the FBI could say publicly what he had just told him. McCabe said he’d have to check, according to the book.

McCabe reportedly called back and said he couldn’t do anything about it. Then-FBI director James Comey reportedly called later and also said he couldn’t do anything, but did offer to brief the Senate Intelligence Committee on the matter later that week, suggesting they’d spill the beans publicly

then,

Now, a week later, CNN was airing a breaking news story naming Priebus. According to ‘multiple U.S. officials,’ the network said, ‘the FBI rejected a White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump’s associates and Russians known to U.S. intelligence.’

Priebus was stunned by the implication that he was pressuring law enforcement. Had he been set up? Why was the FBI leaking this information when one of its top officials had initiated the conversation?

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't have a specific link, but the headline at Lucianne is that McCabe was "removed" from his post.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Every serious Federal employee or serviceperson I’ve known can tell you to the day exactly when they can retire with full benefits, or be released from active duty as the case may be.

They have computed good time, leave, holidays, mastered the rules, and figured out exactly what they can do under various scenarios. It may occupy as much as a third of their working life, staying on top of all this.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link to The Federalist website, sdy. Very interesting stuff!

Includng this:

quote:
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) said Wednesday that the classified report compiled by the House Intelligence Committee, which reportedly details abuses by federal law enforcement and surveillance agencies, is “sloppy” and “baseless.” He also has not read the memo.

“I have not seen the memo,” Warner said, according to CNN. “But I think it is sloppy, careless, and again, I think has no grounding in fact.”

The senior senator form Virginia did not explain how he could know intricate details about a document he has not even read.

Under the rules of the U.S. House and the committee motion to make the report available to the entire House, only members of the House have been authorized to read the four-page classified memo. Before the memo can be made available to Senators and their staffs, executive branch agencies like the FBI, and the general public, the committee must vote to make the report publicly available. Congressional Democrats have repeatedly said they oppose making the report available to the public. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, has said that the American public doesn’t have the necessary knowledge or experience to adequately understand the findings in the report and should therefore be denied access to it.

The memo, which has stoked both widespread speculation and outrage in Washington, reportedly contains information about the FBI’s reliance on a now-infamous dossier compiled by British ex-spy Christopher Steele to obtain a warrant from a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to spy on associates of the Trump presidential campaign. To date, none of the dossier’s substantive allegations of illegal foreign collusion have been independently verified.

Steele, who has not set foot in Russia in nearly two decades, relied on information he received third-hand, including from Kremlin-connected Russians who may have used Steele to peddle disinformation in order to interfere with the 2016 presidential elections in the U.S. This dossier was funded in part by the Democratic National Committee, Hillary Clinton, and possibly others. The firm that commissioned the dossier, Fusion GPS, was at the same time working on behalf of a Russian company accused by the U.S. government of fraud and money laundering as part of a scheme to violate U.S. sanctions against corrupt Russians.

Republican lawmakers in the House are currently considering if, when, and how to make the House report available to the public. Under House rules, if the president objects in writing to the release of the report, a majority vote by the full House of Representatives is necessary to make the report public. Absent a presidential objection, the House Intelligence Committee can release the memo by majority vote.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) said Wednesday that the classified report compiled by the House Intelligence Committee, which reportedly details abuses by federal law enforcement and surveillance agencies, is “sloppy” and “baseless.” He also has not read the memo.

TOP.
MEN.

On another note, "sloppy and baseless" could be used to describe Bernie Sanders....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post