SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I want to start making my own iced tea at home but have never done it. It would be unsweetened or with maybe just a very small amount of sugar.

Does anyone have a good method/recipe? Recommend tea brand/type?

Thank you!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just use Wyler's Peach Tea mix in cold water. One little packet makes 16oz of tea. I also put 4 packets in a 2-liter bottle and keep it in the refrigerator. The mix I buy uses artificial sweeteners, but they have several versions. I think it tastes great.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It’s basically figuring out how many tea bags suit you. I used to just throw maybe 7-10 Lipton bags in a gallon container, boil water in a tea pot, pour it in and let it steep maybe a half hour, remove bags, add sweetener and top with water.

I usually just grab a jug of Milo now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 large tea bags 1 gallon of water, put bags in water set in sun until desired strength OMG nothing better then some good ole SUN TEA!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lady Grey, and a little brown sugar. You'll need to experiment to personal taste.

My personal favorite is the 'Arnold Palmer', half lemonade and half iced tea. Recipes are online.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We too like SunTea, but we usually use 6 Lipton bags in a gallon jar for an afternoon in the sun.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Bring 4 cups water to a simmer, remove from heat. Add 2 family size Luzianne Ice Tea bags. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags. Pour into a 2 qt jug. Add 2 cups cold water. Add ice to bring it to the 2 qt mark. Let it rest about 20 minutes.
Occasionally I will add a little fresh squeezed lemon juice.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
2 large tea bags 1 gallon of water, put bags in water set in sun until desired strength OMG nothing better then some good ole SUN TEA!

It's actually 6 bags 3 gallons of water but, who focusing on the minutia?

Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I use a Bunn coffee maker (dedicated for tea, never make coffee in it) with family sized tea bags. Very good tea. If you like it with sugar, you add it while it's hot, then pour over ice into a big pitcher and refrigerate. Best iced tea I've had and pretty quick as the Bunn keeps the water hot. I used to switch off the water heater between batches to keep it full. If you keep to specific amounts of everything just like you like it, it's very consistent.

Mine is very much the same as this one.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Green tea is a favorite drunk of the Japanese which shows that it extends their life.

Green tea contains a catechin called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). Catechins are natural antioxidants that help prevent cell damage and provide other benefits.

I use 6 green tea bags and 6 black tea bags to two quarts of water. I add the juice of one lemon and two packages of Stevia.

I drink 1 to 2 quarts a day all year.

I use the Amazon Basic water pitcher for heating the water:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll just say that I rarely add a Lemon slice.

I prefer an Orange slice, or occasionally a Lime Slice.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll just say that I rarely add a Lemon slice.

I prefer an Orange slice, or occasionally a Lime Slice.

Most heathens eventually say that - followed by their milk lovin' breathren but; instead of calling them them out, we prefer self-identification. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I prefer Sun Tea, with a fat orange slice squeezed into a big glass and a little fresh Mint, something I learned from a local Italian restaurant forever ago.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I am no doubt an uncultured heathen, but I use a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker.

Fill heater to line with water. 7-10 Red Rose tea bags in the top according to desired strength. Fill pitcher to line with ice cubes. Turn it on, walk away.

When it's done brewing, empty the top, squeezing the bags to get the last of the tea out.

From "Hey, I'd like some iced tea" to ready to drink in about 15 minutes. Pollute to taste after it's in your glass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No exact science in our house.....boil water ub Le Creuset tea kettle (3/4 full) once water is boiling remove from heat and place two Luzianne tea bags (red variety not the green)in said kettle to steep for 25 minutes. After steeping, place tea into 1 gallon pitcher (filled with one and half cups of sugar). Follow with cool water to fill the pitcher to the gallon marker.
Enjoy!

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I am no doubt an uncultured heathen, but I use a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker.

Me too. Use it constantly.

My proportions are usually a lot higher, though, since I make around 4 gallons at a time to keep in the fridge.

In addition to normal black tea bags, I put two spoonfuls of a good strong Assam tea at the bottom of the basket (line with a coffee filter).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I use Luzianne cold brew family size bags. I use 1-quart mason jars with plastic screw on lids and keep them in the refrigerator. One bag makes one quart. I don't sweeten it since my wife likes unsweetened tea. I just put some Spenda or Truvia in the glass when I go to drink it.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just make it stout. I hate weak tea.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Before the dreaded menace of kidney stones, I made sweet tea in the coffee pot.

Put one cup of sugar in the pot,
Put two big Lipton tea bags in the filter,
Fill the machine to the top line and press go.
When it’s done you can pour it over ice immediately and it’s prefect

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I haven’t made iced tea in a while but the one thing I recall was not to let the bags steep too long. I think it was about 4 minutes (hot tea). If the bags stay in too long it gets bitter.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post