SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been using PG Tips to make ice tea (I use something different for hot tea). PG Tips is nice but I'm feeling it's actually too smooth and mild for ice tea. I've been using more and more tea bags per batch to draw out taste.

I might try something with more punch. Not sure about orange pekoe or loose leaf yet. Something cheap and robustly flavored. Maybe I'll try lipton bags first. Using loose leaf sencha or oolong seems wasteful.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Recently I’ve become partial to Red Diamond tea. Three family size bags steeped in hot water then stir in 1/2 cup of sugar and top off with water in the pitcher. I used to be all about the sweet tea growing up in TX, but more recently I’ve backed way off. I still make simple syrup to keep in the fridge for the times I want it a little sweeter.

Oh yeah, homemade tea And homemade lemonade makes for a great Arnold Palmer…

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Maybe I'll try lipton bags first.

Skip that and go direct for Luzianne large tea bags. Do some online research and you'll find they are universally rated the best of their kind.

Here's amazon reviews as an example

https://www.amazon.com/Luziann...-Pack/dp/B071YV6PTQ/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As a child I remember my mother (a beautiful brunette) as I remember her. She is 86 now. Still beautiful Wink would always have a glass of instant Lipton tea unsweetened with ice. I remember always asking her for a drink when outside in the summer. Fond memories.

If drinking it I just use a spoon full with about 20oz of water and ice. Works well for me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19090 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Luzianne as anything else in my cajun family is an abomination.

Boil 1 gallon of cold water, 2 Luzianne large tea bags, steep between 22-30 minutes depending on your shade of choice...while still hot pour in 1-1/2 cup sugar and stir vigorously. Serve over ice or with a shot of Jack (if you are so inclined).

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Maybe I'll try lipton bags first.

Skip that and go direct for Luzianne large tea bags. Do some online research and you'll find they are universally rated the best of their kind.

Here's amazon reviews as an example

https://www.amazon.com/Luziann...-Pack/dp/B071YV6PTQ/

yup

Posts: 2711 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sun Tea with Luzianne is good, growing up we had a Mr Coffee Ice Tea maker, fill up the container with Ice, pop in the large Tea bags up top and let it steep hot water through the bags over the Ice.

Link

I may have to order one...

Right now, Pick up two to three gallons of Publix Ice tea, unsweet in the deli, lasts all week, nice cold and ready to drink.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Still have one of those Mr Coffee deals. No longer use it. Simply pop a big Luzianne tea bag in a pitcher filled with water and let it sit on the counter until it is "dark enough." Then refrigerate. Bingo!

No sugar water aka sweet tea for me. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
8 bags of Lipton tea
1 1/2 cups of sugar

Bring quart of water to boil and turn off heat, put 8 bags of tea in and let it steep for 10-15 minutes. Pour the hot tea into a 1 gallon pitcher and stir in the sugar. Add room temperature water and then cool in the fridge.

How people drink unsweet tea is beyond me.

I drink sweet tea with meals and also while smoking a cigar.

Posts: 13039 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Considering the amount of sugar in some of these recipes and how much of the product is drunk, I’m going to stop fretting if someone says my Snickers bar will give me diabetes. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
We too like SunTea, but we usually use 6 Lipton bags in a gallon jar for an afternoon in the sun.

Sun Teas is the answer.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
it's just 2 ingredients - tea and water
mix to taste

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1994 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I got my first boxes of Luzianne. Unfortunately, it seems that they are obfuscating whether ore not they are sourcing from PRC - a practice I abhor. I respect a company more if they just explicitly declare they are buying from PRC; I will likely not buy their product but I would respect the company for being transparent. Like Lipton - they are explicit and transparent. I'm disappointed that Luzianne seems to be obfuscating.

I'll try these boxes. Sunk cost. But unless it's spectacular beyond what I might use otherwise, these will be the last boxes I will buy.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Their teas are sourced from tea-producing countries in Asia, Indonesia, Africa and South America. They're very protective of their recipe.

https://www.nola.com/entertain...2d-2449f439513e.html

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If Asia = Japan or Korea or Taiwan or even India, okay.

If Asia = prc like for Lipton, then no bueno.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some relatives who were sort-of missionaries in China brought me a large fancy container of green tea some years ago. When I brewed the first batch, an oily slick caused by something formed on the surface. I was grateful for the thoughts and gesture, but that batch went down the drain and the rest into the trash. There may be reasons to avoid processed food products from that country besides its politics and other practices.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes. Caveat emptor especially for food stuffs.

I'll use up the Luzianne but probably stick to PG Tips for now. Unless more info comes to light and/or another alternative is found.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

posted Hide Post
I have always heard the wonders of sun tea. However my personal experience is that it tastes exactly like boiling water with tea bags in it. The boiling water part is easier. I think the magic is finding the right amount of sugar or sweetener to float your boat. My mom made the best iced tea and the secret unfortunately was a metric shit ton of sugar. Ugh.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll be THAT guy... Big Grin
Just the facts, please don't bash me sun tea fans!

Wife was in the dietary field for over 30 years. She said, and a quick google will back it up that Sun Tea is a health risk. It can not legally be made or served to the public according to her training. Sun tea creates the perfect conditions/temp to bread bacteria and doesn't get hot enough to kill it.

I tried it years ago and saw no benefit, no better taste, maybe a very tiny energy savings and the feel good idea of it... The down side of taking hours and being a potential health risk. My venture into the Sun tea business didn't last very long.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Ok I'll be THAT guy... Big Grin
Sun Tea is a health risk.

Interesting. Cold brew it is then!
https://foodhero.com/blogs/how-to-make-sun-tea

USN (RET), COTEP #192