SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mega Yacht My Song lost a sea, with a twist
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mega Yacht My Song lost a sea, with a twist Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
The mega yacht My Song was lost overboard this week.

She was being transported on the MV Brattinsborg to Ibiza to take part in the Logo Piana Superyacht Regatta, which is running in Porto Cervo, Sardinia, from June 3 to June 6, when she broke loose over the weekend.

quote:
Fox
< snip >
“The vessel maintained visual contact with My Song until the air and sea search was initiated. As of 0900hr BST on 28th May 2019 the salvage attempts are still ongoing,” Holley said.
< snip >
“A full investigation into the cause of the incident has been launched,” he continued. “However the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle (owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY Song overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.”
< snip >

The second image looks like she's a total loss.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Worth an estimated $40 million... Somebody's insurance is going to be really unhappy.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That boat is wrecked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
It fell off a cargo ship ?

Insurance might be an issue

From the OP:

“However the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle ( owned and provided by the yacht , warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew ) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY Song overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...rgo-ship-missing-sea

The owner is worth $1.6 Billion

Superyacht: $38 million

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One part the OP didn't quote was who was providing those statements.
quote:
The head of Peters & May, the company that handles MY Song’s transporting, said in a statement to the press:
In other words:
  • don't blame us even though we're the company that handles all of the yacht's transporting
  • the first rule of public perception is get your version out there first.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    Somebody used thewrong size bungee cords....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
    Picture of Otto Pilot
    posted Hide Post
    Hmmm...on a cargo ship to go to a regatta.

Kind of like a really expensive version of Harleys on trailers to Sturgis. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    wishing we
    were congress
    posted Hide Post
    from the Fox article

quite a yacht

posted Hide Post
    I run A LOT of yachts to and from freighters that are being loaded or unloaded and see all of them put onto the deck and strapped down. Close to a 1000 of them. Most of the time they use cradles supplied by the shipping company that are solid, welded steel cradles that are supplied by the shipping company. Peters and May is a pretty reputable shipper. However, they don't own the ship, they just charter the deck space of someone elses ship. Anyways, some of these racing sailboats do use their own cradles because they have such incredible draft and the keels are so long that the shipper would have to build a special cradle for that one yacht. At this point in time who knows what happened, whether the yachts cradle failed, or the lashings to the deck failed. However a sailing yacht like this has a very high center of gravity above the sea and above the deck of the ship and the top of the mast was probably around 170' in the air with a lot of windage on it which is a tremendous amount of force on it's cradle. There are some pictures of this particular yacht, on it's cradle before the accident, pictures of the yacht after it fell in the water, and pictures of the "broken" cradle on a yachting site.

There is special insurance the yacht owner can purchase to cover things like this, and generally the responsibility falls under that insurance and the shipper is not liable.

I find it extremely strange why they're shipping a 130' sailing yacht anyways versus sailing it on it's own bottom. The cradle was built in an Italian shipyard specifically for shipping that vessel and was used many times, so it's entirely possible it was tired.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    its annoying to sail your mega yacht long distances (I delivered racing sailboats for a long time) so shipping it is not unusual. Maritime courts will sort out who is on the hook. But my guess is its not the shipper...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by hrcjon:
    its annoying to sail your mega yacht long distances (I delivered racing sailboats for a long time) so shipping it is not unusual. Maritime courts will sort out who is on the hook. But my guess is its not the shipper...

I get that. But on a 130' the owner wouldn't be on it, just the full time crew. It is less wear and tear (USUALLY) to ship it. LOLOLOL I ran the Mega sailing yacht "Drumfire" once. Generally I try to stay away from sailboats in general.

I'm not laughing
    WITH you
    Picture of Rolan_Kraps
    posted Hide Post
    Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do!

Rolan Kraps
    SASS Regulator
    Gainesville, Georgia.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    It's just like the time on Lake Huron when I warned my kids not to play with the 3' foot diameter beach ball when the wind was blowing offshore. Within 2 minutes, that ball was on it's way to Canada.

On second thought, this was 38 million times worse than the beach ball incident.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    They towed her to Pallerma and hauled her out of the water. She was partially submerged for the entire voyage. She should be a total loss from the looks of it and the cradle punched several very large holes in the bottom of the hull. So either the lashings got loose and she was bouncing heavily on them, or improperly supported by the cradle which allowed the cradle to punch holes, create slack in the lashings which snapped them and off she slid into the ocean. It's a shame.

wishing we
    were congress
    posted Hide Post
    Jimmy implied there were pics. Here are some:

https://www.superyachttimes.co...ong-hauled-out-palma

posted Hide Post
    Someone heavily involved in the yacht shipping industry reported to me that the same loadmaster, was the same loadmaster that lost 2 yachts (a 30 meter and 40 meter) off of the ship BBC Utah 2 years ago. Several people are saying that this one is/was under strapped and the straps didn't have enough angle. I'm not sure if it's factual or not, but from all of the yachts I've seen strapped, they usually have twice as many lashings.

I'm not sure if this is allowed (if not please delete the link), but here is the link to the yacht forum that has many before and after pictures and postings about it.

https://www.yachtforums.com/th...off-ship-deck.31481/

thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Other than curiosity, why even bother with the retrieval of that?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Georgeair:

Insurance company will want to know what happened. Also, it would be a hazard to navigation if left at sea. Shame.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    For the legal battle on whose insurer is paying the claim

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Georgeair:

So the insurance company (and marine inspectors) can inspect it, come up with a cause and determine negligence if any and who is responsible for paying for it. They offer shipping insurance specifically for shipping a yacht on deck, the shipping companies insurance doesn't cover it, as far as I know and neither does the yachts insurance. It might be fixable, but I highly doubt it. There is some salvage value. 39 tons of solid lead just in the keel at $0.69 a lb.