SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mega Yacht My Song lost a sea, with a twist
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mega Yacht My Song lost a sea, with a twist Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've done a little sailing on the Great Lakes, so not a complete novice. Would someone tell me why you would ship a vessel on another vessel when said vessel is easily capable of circumnavigating the globe? It's gotta be cheaper / more rewarding to just sail the damn thing to the regatta, right?!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wait, let me shed tears over some rich asshole's toy.

OK, all done.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I've done a little sailing on the Great Lakes, so not a complete novice. Would someone tell me why you would ship a vessel on another vessel when said vessel is easily capable of circumnavigating the globe? It's gotta be cheaper / more rewarding to just sail the damn thing to the regatta, right?!

Similar to the reason they don't drive race cars to the tracks. Wear and tear.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

For a number of reasons. Generally it is less wear and tear on the vessel. The freighters usually can maintain a much better schedule, once it is loaded and underway than a sailing yacht. But the shipping companies will tell you they have a freighter in 2 weeks and string owners along a lot of times. You can give the crew their scheduled vacation time without interrupting the yachts schedule. It generally costs about the same as the expenses to run it there (at least on a motoryacht). And, in a lot of cases (not this one), the yacht is too small to make the crossing on it's own bottom.

While it may be some rich persons toy, it is still someone's property, just on a larger scale. Also about 12 crew members, whose full time job and residence (crew live on board a vessel that size, it is their home), just evaporated and they're without a job or place to live and they're not rich. A vessel of this size, employs a lot of people between the 12 +/- full time employees and all of the parts/subcontractors/yards/repair workers that fix things on it. It's probably running a $3-5 million a year budget, that is being spent on these items and giving people jobs, just like a small business of that expense and budget. For example, the yachting industry is Fort Lauderdale's biggest industry (larger than even tourism) and contributes $10.8 Billion $ a year to the Fort Lauderdale economy and that's just repairs, dockage, and the parts and pieces they buy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

39 tons of solid lead just in the keel
That would make a lot of bullets!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Maybe enough to have to reopen that last lead smelter...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
quote:

Unless my math is wrong, that's about $55K. And I suspect a lot of work to extract it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link to picture of the yacht loaded on the freighter before heading out..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's video from a deck camera somewhere.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unless my math is wrong, that's about $55K. And I suspect a lot of work to extract it.

No, it's easy. The bottom skeg that the boat is resting on in the pictures is where ALL of the lead is. Jut cut it off.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Link to picture of the yacht loaded on the freighter before heading out.
Why on earth is the cradle so tall? It's an order of magnitude taller than the white sail boat.

I do have a background in oil & gas logistics, and have shipped fabricated items much larger and heavier than that boat. The tall cradle loaded at the edge of the deck is a recipe for disaster. Double whammy from the boat's high center of gravity and its CG being so far from the ship's center of gravity.

I'd much rather be the owner of the white sail boat with the lower shipping cradle, it's starboard to port orientation, and sailboat's CG much closer to the ship's CG.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It has a long skeg.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Why on earth is the cradle so tall? It's an order of magnitude taller than the white sail boat.

I do have a background in oil & gas logistics, and have shipped fabricated items much larger and heavier than that boat. The tall cradle loaded at the edge of the deck is a recipe for disaster. Double whammy from the boat's high center of gravity and its CG being so far from the ship's center of gravity.

I'd much rather be the owner of the white sail boat with the lower shipping cradle, it's starboard to port orientation, and sailboat's CG much closer to the ship's CG.

My Song Specs. Note the draft. I suspect that the keel retracts into a well but even so I would guess it only loses half the draft in the process so maybe ~ 11 feet IF it retracts.

L.O.A. 39.62 m
D.W.L. 36.78 m
BEAM 8.52 m
DRAFT 7.00 m
DISPLACEMENT 105,000 kg
BALLAST Approx. 36,250 kg

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Wait, let me shed tears over some rich asshole's toy.

OK, all done.

A well-insured toy

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Suspected Weapons & Ammunition trafficker claims 237,391,113 forty-five caliber bullets were lost in a 'boating accident'. BATF and US Customs agents are investigating."

www.bullshooterrickroller.com Smile

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Suspected Weapons & Ammunition trafficker claims 237,391,113 forty-five caliber bullets were lost in a 'boating accident'. BATF and US Customs agents are investigating."

www.bullshooterrickroller.com Smile

Northern Marine launched a 85' about 4-5 years back, it turned turtle and rolled over on launch due to not having enough ballast and one of the travel lift wheels getting stuck. HOWEVER, they put approximately 3.4 million, 9mm lead bullets (60,000 lbs) cast into fiberglass resin in the keel for ballast. Talk about a complete waste of ammunition.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by

HOWEVER, they put approximately 3.4 million, 9mm lead bullets (60,000 lbs) cast into fiberglass resin in the keel for ballast.

That settles it.

They needed to use 10mm.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

My Song Specs. Note the draft. I suspect that the keel retracts into a well but even so I would guess it only loses half the draft in the process so maybe ~ 11 feet IF it retracts.

L.O.A. 39.62 m
D.W.L. 36.78 m
BEAM 8.52 m
DRAFT 7.00 m
DISPLACEMENT 105,000 kg
BALLAST Approx. 36,250 kg

Just looking at the picture, Im going to say "Space". It looks like the stern of the "My Song" is sitting over the bow of the smaller sail boat behind it. It looks like there's (at least) another 2 sailboats just port of "My Song" as well.

Im no expert, but I wouldn't have loaded the ship like that.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone heavily involved in the yacht shipping industry reported to me that the same loadmaster, was the same loadmaster that lost 2 yachts (a 30 meter and 40 meter) off of the ship BBC Utah 2 years ago. Several people are saying that this one is/was under strapped and the straps didn't have enough angle. I'm not sure if it's factual or not, but from all of the yachts I've seen strapped, they usually have twice as many lashings.

here is the link to the yacht forum that has many before and after pictures and postings about it.

https://www.yachtforums.com/th...off-ship-deck.31481/

Interesting. A quick look at that page and many of the pictures were taken down.

It's all over but the lawsuit.
The owner is going to look to collect from the shipper, and the shipper is saying it was the fault of the owner's provided cradle.
It should be a good legal battle. If it's not settled it could end up costing more to litigate than the value of the boat. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally when they load yachts on ships, they are inches away from each other. Usually always less than a foot, between each yacht at the closest places. They are loaded in certain orientations and places due to several factors. Mainly for the stability of the ship, the weight has to be in a certain area depending on the weights of the actual yachts. Also most times, these ships unload and load yachts in 6 +/- different ports along the voyage, so that comes into play so they can unload these 3 in Port 1, load 1 in Port 1, and don't have to move, and re-secure the ones that are already on deck.

I have been doing freighter loadings and unloadings since 2003 for all of the largest yacht shipping companies. I've done upwards of 1000 of them. By freighter loading, I run the yachts to or from the ship to a marina. If a yacht ships from the MED to the West Coast US, it is on 2 different ships, so all of those get unloaded from the first ship, taken to a marina (by me) to wait for the second ship to arrive, then get taken (by me) to the second ship to get loaded. Generally they will unload 40-60 yachts (the entire ship) and then load 40-60 yachts in 3-4 days time and it sets sail, that's everything (welding the cradles to the deck of the ship, strapping them down, unwelding cradles, craning them on and off of the ship, etc.) But I have to get onto the ship most times and see all of the goings on, and how everything is done, etc. etc.

Here's a website with pictures and the schedule, scroll down, so you can see how tight they're normally loaded and also how many stops a single ship will have to load and unload them on once voyage. Here is a link to the worlds largest yacht shipper

https://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport.com/

The draft on MY SONG was 15' with the keel in the up position. That's just to the waterline, to the gunnel was even higher.