SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SD Shipyard Fire - Bonhomme - Arson Suspect
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SD Shipyard Fire - Bonhomme - Arson Suspect Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The more this case gets revealed, the more it looks like the USN continues to bumble along, remarkably incompetent and lacking in leadership. The case against the accused sailor appears thinner and thinner as much is hinging on a single-witness and circumstantial evidence; its possible he was a known shit-bird but, not an arsonist.

This Navy, good grief, where's some leadership, is anybody good at their job.... Mad
Experts Criticize ATF, Navy Finding on Cause of Bonhomme Richard Fire; Case Against Sailor Pending U.S. 3rd Fleet Decision
quote:
An expert in electrical engineering told a Navy court that an electrical short in a forklift or some faulty batteries could have sparked the fire that ultimately led the service to scrap the former USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), countering the Navy’s acceptance from a federal fire investigation that a disgruntled sailor deliberately set it.

Andrew Thoresen, a forensics engineer, said that in a limited, four-hour visit to the ship’s lower vehicle deck one year ago, he found a wire in a forklift’s main conductor feed had a “globule” of melted copper wires.

Such a globule likely was the result of a “localized spot” of arcing activity that would generate high heat by touching the metal framing, ignite nearby flammable materials strewn about the stowage area “and cause the damage we have in this case,” Thoresen testified Wednesday at the Article 32 preliminary hearing for Seaman Apprentice Ryan Mays, accused of hazarding a vessel and aggravated arson in the July 12, 2020 fire aboard Bonhomme Richard at Naval Base San Diego.

“We can opine this is definitely arcing, because copper melts at roughly 2,000 degrees,” he said Wednesday when questioned by defense attorney Gary Barthel. Other copper strands in two feet of wire he visually inspected weren’t melted, and “we know that it is only electrical activity that can cause that” localized pattern.

Shown in court was a photograph Thoresen had taken of the damaged wire, held in his gloved hand, along with images of the forklift and fire-damaged scene in the Lower V. “It’s definitive that it’s arcing,” said Thoresen, who’s investigated more than 3,000 fire scenes over his 20-year career.

“We know definitively it was from electrical heat and not the heat of the fire” that caused the copper to melt, he added in response to a question from Capt. Angela Tang, the hearing officer.

Thoresen also saw scores of “18650” lithium ion batteries in buckets that had been collected by investigators as evidence in the Lower V area considered a crime scene. “They’re a major fire cause that we see all the time,” he said.

But he was unable to do any lab analysis or X-ray the batteries to determine whether any of them had internal cell failure that would spark a fire, he said. None of the batteries were analyzed by federal investigators or taken to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives lab for further inspection.

“They can’t be eliminated” as a potential ignition source, said Thoresen, a defense consultant.

His contention conflicts with an ATF investigation into the cause and origin of the fire. Just weeks after the fire broke out, and while an ATF national response team was still processing the scene aboard, a preliminary investigation concluded it was arson and not due to any accidental ignition source. The final report wasn’t completed until earlier this year.

The ATF report and a Naval Criminal Investigative Service report prompted the Navy to suspect Mays after one sailor who was standing duty in the area claimed he saw him in the Lower V before the fire was reported. Mays, who had just begun his deck department duty section aboard Bonhomme Richard when the fire broke out, has denied he started the fire.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its quite possible that this admiral is scrambling to make sure he's not left holding the bag when it comes to 'who's fault is it' however, it's also plausible that he recognizes the Navy isn't doing anything to solve the issues amongst senior officers: nobody taking responsibility. Now he's threatened with censure, what's being kept away from the investigation?
Very concerning that various commands refused to assist even though a national asset was in peril. Makes you wonder how these people would perform in a war. Eek If things were normal, as in a normal Congress, the SASC & HASC would have the Pentagon on the carpet and stars would be on desks.

New details emerge about the 2020 Bonhomme Richard fire, ahead of censure of three-star
quote:
WASHINGTON — The initial response to the July 2020 fire that destroyed the multibillion-dollar amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard was uncoordinated and hampered by confusion as to which admiral should cobble together Navy and civilian firefighters, according to new information from the then-head of Naval Surface Forces.

The discombobulation in those early hours meant sailors may have missed a small window to contain the fire in a storage area. One admiral who said he lacked authority to issue an order pleaded with the ship’s commanding officer to get back on the ship and fight the fire, when the CO and his crew were waiting on the pier. And when that admiral — now-retired Vice Adm. Rich Brown — found the situation so dire that he called on other another command to intervene, it refused, Brown said in an interview.

Brown, who led Naval Surface Forces and Naval Surface Force Pacific from January 2018 to August 2020, told Defense News in June he set up an ad hoc chain of command to coordinate trying to save the ship that Sunday morning, after seeing lower-level leaders struggle to communicate or to fight the fire aggressively. The move came after the fleet’s operational chain of command declined to step in due to confusion over who had control over the ship.

An investigation into the fire, released in October 2021, outlined several failures leading up to the fire and during the response. But Brown’s comments offer additional details and a new perspective on how the fire response came together and what was left out of the formal investigation.

Brown said he is sharing his story with Defense News now as he faces a secretarial letter of censure. He was named in the investigation as contributing to the loss of the ship, but was cleared by what’s known as a Consolidated Disposition Authority in December. He said he was not interviewed for the investigation into the fire.

Capt. J.D. Dorsey, a spokesman for Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro, told Defense News “the secretary is still in the process of reviewing the command investigation and has not yet made any final decisions on actions beyond what the CDA has imposed.”

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
pleaded with the ship’s commanding officer to get back on the ship and fight the fire, when the CO and his crew were waiting on the pier
YOUR ship is going up in flames and you stand by and do nothing? This is very telling and reflects a very, very bad state of affairs within the Navy. Sad.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
pleaded with the ship’s commanding officer to get back on the ship and fight the fire, when the CO and his crew were waiting on the pier
YOUR ship is going up in flames and you stand by and do nothing? This is very telling and reflects a very, very bad state of affairs within the Navy. Sad.

WTF is right. The CO is just standing by on the pier??? But what the fuck is an admiral for if he can't issue an order to a captain? Fuck pleading and order the captain's ass. If a line Admiral ordering a captain to fight a fire that is on board the captain's ship isn't a lawful order, I don't know what is.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19660 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody can answer this quote about who's in charge of who:
quote:
With the Navy’s organization falling apart, he called the Expeditionary Strike Group 3 commander, Rear Adm. Phil Sobeck, around 11 a.m.
“Phil, you can tell me to eff off, because I’m not in your chain of command, but you have to get down to that pier and provide leadership and guidance because they’re all sitting at the end of the pier watching the ship burn,”

Brown said he told Sobeck. “And he goes, ‘Admiral, I’m getting in the car, I’m on my way.’”

Isn't the Commdander, Expeditionary Strike Group 3 a subordinate command of Navy Surface Fleet Pacific?

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Give me an "I"!

Give me an "O"!

Give me an "W"!

Give me an "A"!

Doesn't the Navy learn?

Halsy, Michener, Nimitz, and Spruance are spinning in their graves so fast if we added an armature we could power San Diego.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The situation required strong, proactive leadership. Apparently did not happen. I think there is a leadership crisis in our country and not just the military, but in all of society. I think this played out in Uvalde TX recently.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The suspect flunked BUDS, perfect set up to take fall disgruntled and hating life in the Navy, something don’t smell right. Hopefully the sailor has somebody more than a Lt.Jg. For lead counsel.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
The suspect flunked BUDS, perfect set up to take fall disgruntled and hating life in the Navy, something don’t smell right. Hopefully the sailor has somebody more than a Lt.Jg. For lead counsel.

Yeah, put me on his jury. This is a massive clusterfuck from the top down, and the only evidence pointing to the poor bastard of a sailor being accused of setting it amounts to he didn't like the navy and someone saw someone with a build similar to his in the area. So nothing the least bit conclusive, while there is actually evidence that it may have been caused by equipment failure and exacerbated by leadership failure.

Unless better evidence appears, it looks like he's being railroaded hard here.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Iowa 16" gun mount explosion. Navy was convinced a sailor caused it deliberately. Further laboratory investigation indicated it was caused by an over-ram on loading. But I don't think the Navy has changed its mind.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Changing direction, and influenced by h2oys’ post that touches on the Hitchens opinion piece, “Why Americans Are Not Taught History;” I wonder how many recent college graduates could cite the historical reference to the name Bonhomme Richard.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sal provides sobering commentary about the Navy. Command isn't ready for prime time as evidenced by their inability to provide leadership, effect change through experience and inability to prioritize core competencies. A ship burnt at its birth yet, nobody has been busted down to O-1. Still haven't heard if Congress has noticed, no Congressional hearings where committee members are grilling admirals for answers.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
Reminds me of the Iowa 16" gun mount explosion. Navy was convinced a sailor caused it deliberately. Further laboratory investigation indicated it was caused by an over-ram on loading. But I don't think the Navy has changed its mind.

Clayton Hartwig redux. I finished my tour on the IOWA one month before the accident. I watched NIS and the investigative clown show. I believe the Sandia National Labs alternate view of what actually happened. https://www.osti.gov/biblio/5758451-iowa-explosion

Chain of command has entirely too much ass to cover to not name a suspect to cover for the total lack of “command”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Further laboratory investigation indicated it was caused by an over-ram on loading.
No. That is not what the investigation indicated. Read carefully. Sandia National Labs suggested it was a possible cause, not THE cause. You're jumping to conclusions.

From the OTSI.gov report: "Sandia suggests as a possible cause the excessive speed of ramming powder bags into the chamber of a 16-inch gun."

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Navy's case was thin from the start. Their own incompetence regarding safety, training, compliance and accountability led to this ruling. By all accounts, May was a malcontent after getting dropped from pre-BUDs training, give him a general discharge and be gone. The Navy couldn't nail the hide of a lowly shit-bird E-2, they'll now start hunting for brass to blame.

BREAKING: Former Bonhomme Richard Sailor Ryan Sawyer Mays Acquitted of Arson
quote:
NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A military judge today acquitted a young sailor accused by the Navy of setting a 2020 fire that ultimately destroyed an amphibious warship as it neared completion of a major modernization and overhaul.

Capt. Derek Butler’s findings – not guilty of arson and of hazarding a vessel – puts an end to a two-year ordeal for Seaman Recruit Ryan Sawyer Mays. As a 19-year-old deck seaman, he was fingered by a shipmate who claimed he saw Mays near where the fire began in the former USS Bonhomme Richard’s (LHD-6) lower vehicle deck.

At hearing the verdict, given briefly by the judge, there was a loud collective gasp in the courtroom and Mays, standing between his attorneys, dropped to his chair and sobbed loudly.

After a minute or so, a crying, red-faced Mays hustled to the galley and tightly hugged his wife. His father came to him and tightly held him.

“I never had a doubt,” he told Mays. “I love you, ” his mother said.

Defense attorneys had argued that there was more than enough reasonable doubt in the Navy’s prosecution to find him not guilty of the charges. They said he’s consistently pressed his innocence and questioned whether it was arson that started the blaze or just an accidental fire sparked by faulty vehicles or lithium-ion batteries that were stored in the area, which sailors and contractors working on the ship had used as a junkyard.

Navy criminal investigators accused Mays of starting the fire because he was angry at dropping from the training course to become a Navy SEAL. During court sessions, prosecutors described him as disgruntled and unhappy about his assignment to a ship stuck at the pier for maintenance.

“Seaman Mays’ life has been put on hold,” Lt. Cmdr. Jordi Torres, the lead defense attorney, argued on Thursday morning during closing statements. The sailor who claimed to have seen Mays in the Lower V “is the only evidence the government has … if there’s even an arsonist to begin with.”

“There was no open flame that they recovered, ” Torres said, adding that “apparently having a lighter makes you an arsonist.” Investigators found a small lighter during a search of Mays’ personal belongings.

The lead prosecutor, Capt. Jason Jones, has argued there was sufficient evidence to convict Mays on both counts. He denied Mays’ attorneys’ contention that investigators and prosecutors were biased in their fervent pursuit of the young sailor.

“There has never been a myopic focus on Seaman Mays,” Jones said. He defended the investigation and prosecution, adding that “we’ve proven it beyond a reasonable doubt.”

In 2020, Mays was held for three months in pre-trial confinement in a San Diego brig, but was released without being charged. Then, in July 2021, the Navy formally charged him but did not order his confinement as the case wound through a preliminary hearing and then went to trial.

Defense attorneys grilled investigators and government experts in fire forensics and engineering over their conclusions and argued the investigation failed to present any specific, strong physical and forensic evidence that Mays was in the deck at the time and had set the fire.

Investigators, Torres said, did not pursue possible links to two other recent fires – a burned mattress aboard amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD-2), berthed at Pier 8, the afternoon the fire broke out aboard Bonhomme Richard and, a few weeks earlier, a small fire aboard BHR in a cup in an engineering space.

“We really don’t know what happened there entirely,” Torres argued, “because NCIS didn’t investigate it. ”

Investigators questions Mays for nearly 10 hours one day in early August 2020 before he was confined to the brig. At one point in the investigation, he began to cry. “I didn’t do anything. Let me go,” he said in a video clip played in court Thursday during Torres’ closing arguments.

“This is not a close call ” the attorney told the judge. “The evidence did not support a conviction. Not by a long shot. Seaman Mays is innocent.”

“This court must find him not guilty now,” he added, “and finally let him go.”

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see justice served. It seems like we'll never know what really happened because the Navy sure didn't do much investigating, but the case they presented against Ryan Mays was thinner than a water sandwich. It turned out hey really didn't have any evidence at all beyond "hey, he might have done it!" and I'm glad the court saw through it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He denied Mays’ attorneys’ contention that investigators and prosecutors were biased in their fervent pursuit of the young sailor.
Lead defense attorney - O4 (LtCdr).

Lead prosecutor - O6 (Capt).

Hmmmmmm....

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
He denied Mays’ attorneys’ contention that investigators and prosecutors were biased in their fervent pursuit of the young sailor.
Lead defense attorney - O4 (LtCdr).

Lead prosecutor - O6 (Capt).

Hmmmmmm....

Also, Jones...defended the investigation and prosecution, adding that “we’ve proven it beyond a reasonable doubt.”

He was dealt a weak hand but has said all the right things. Nuts, but he'll probably still get a star.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I don’t suppose we can fire every officer in the Navy over O-5 and start over? I don’t think they’re even smart enough to fight “white supremacy” like Pedo Peter wants them to.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I don’t suppose we can fire every officer in the Navy over O-5 and start over? I don’t think they’re even smart enough to fight “white supremacy” like Pedo Peter wants them to.

If you're at the O-5/6 level, and have command, you're doing your damndest to make sure NOTHING happens while you're in-charge, not a single thing. If you have a hard-ass Master Chief (I've heard there's hardly any of them left any more) even better as you won't have to deal with any personal/morale issues other than convening the occasional captain's mast. The zero-defect, corporate box-checking mentality that's infected senior leaders has resulted in an institution where CYA is the name of the game, don't color outside the lines. We saw it during the Afghanistan-draw down, not a single senior leader in the Army or, Marines resigned in protest. Where's today's Gen Singlaub?