SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SD Shipyard Fire - Bonhomme - Arson Suspect
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SD Shipyard Fire - Bonhomme - Arson Suspect Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
read an article this morning that NCIS has a suspect

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w...FpBjcwazS7aZ2GmbL79o

Channel 10 News, the ABC affiliate in San Diego, reports that a sailor is under investigation for the fire that burned for days aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard. The blaze has likely destroyed the multi-billion-dollar capital ship.

Channel 10 News states:

Multiple sources with close ties to Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) told ABC 10News that investigators determined the July 12 fire may have been set intentionally.

Investigators identified a sailor as an arson suspect in their probe, sources said.

The sources added multiple search warrants were executed at the sailor’s home and property. The sailor’s name and rank were not disclosed.

The outlet also stated that the NCIS team dealing with the investigation has "requested help from the National Response Team for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) because the agency provides resources and expertise on complex, large-scale incidents like the massive ship fire."

If indeed a serviceperson caused this, it could represent the most expensive single losses of property due to arson anywhere, let alone from within the Navy. It's worth noting that a civilian contractor was to blame for what is now the second-worst fire aboard a U.S. Navy vessel in recent memory. In 2012, Casey Fury, a painter and sandblaster, lit the Los Angeles class nuclear fast-attack submarine USS Miami (SSN-755) on fire. The damage was pegged at the better part of $1B and the ship was removed from service as a result.

We have to highlight that just because there is a suspect, it doesn't mean they are guilty or that arson is even the definitive cause of the fire. Still, if this ends up being the case, it will be another gut-punch for the U.S. Navy and will have wide-ranging impacts.

We will keep you informed as the investigation continues to unfold.

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought Navy ships had some sort of automated fire suppression System. Halon? Water sprinklers? Something?

It would seem prudential.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought Navy ships had some sort of automated fire suppression System. Halon? Water sprinklers? Something?

This was covered in the main thread but as stated there with the vessel in the yard for maintenance and upgrades it was likely this system was offline.

Every insurance company, OSHA, or any outfit with a brain has fire watch and hole watch procedures. But accidents still happen.

Curious what comes of this.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

While in port, and undergoing modifications and repairs in a shipyard, ships tend to de-pressurize their fire mains. It is not a fun time for a CO or Chief Engineer.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The ship had at least two halon systems. One was deactivated, the other was damaged in an explosion that apparently started the blaze.

I am sure this is partly why an arson investigation has proceeded so quickly. An explosion that damages the only operational fire suppression system is a pretty suspicious event.

Link

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything online if they have determined or decided if the ship is repairable or will be scrapped.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I looked online but did not find any info on the current status of the ship. I'm just curious if anyone has any update as to cause of the fire as well as if the ship will be repaired?

The other thread on the Bonhomme was locked.

Thanks.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If arson was involved, ATF NRT will know shortly. They are the best in the world at what they do.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
She's still tied up at the same pier and it looks like she is no longer listing to port like she was before.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
ATF NRT has been involved & assisting NCIS with the investigation. The Navy is still trying to decide the fate of the BHR. $1.5B to repair or scuttle in favor of a new America class LHA.
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If arson was involved, ATF NRT will know shortly. They are the best in the world at what they do.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I was on a harbor tour on Tuesday and saw her tied to the pier. The ship is looking good for all it went through and our tour guide mentioned that repairs were under way.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
I was on a harbor tour on Tuesday and saw her tied to the pier. The ship is looking good for all it went through and our tour guide mentioned that repairs were under way.

Her main engineering spaces are fine, however most everything above is not. What repairs are being done is to shore-up weak areas & hatches, re-establish internal communication and electrical to vital areas and be able to operate basic systems in specific locations.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything is fixable if you are motivated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...tship_Buffalo_(LV-82)

Sank in a storm with all hands, found a year later, repaired and put back in service.

Posts: 83 | Location: TN | Registered: May 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Sank in a storm with all hands, found a year later, repaired and put back in service.

While a cool story, that's kinda apples-to-oranges. A small (6 person crew) and simple vessel like the Buffalo is easy to repair, compared to the very large and very complex BHR.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

I'll raise you a Belknap's collision with JFK, fire burned burned/melted everything down to the hull and then some. Rebuilt sure but, we're talking a much simpler ship than the BHR and a much different industrial base than what we have today. Not to mention DoD budget was also a tad bigger and more generous.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the U.S. Navy's mismanagement of the USS Iowa investigation, I don't trust anything they say.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Onto the scrap heap...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

From the article:

quote:
The Navy decided to scrap the amphibious assault ship that burned for nearly five days earlier this year, concluding after months of investigations that trying to rebuild and restore the ship would take too much money and too much industrial base capacity.

The July 12 fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) began in the lower vehicle storage area but ravaged the island, the mast and the flight deck as it burned its way through the inside of the big-deck amphib. The ship remained watertight throughout the ordeal and hasn’t been moved from its spot on the pier at Naval Base San Diego, but between the fire itself and the days-long firefighting effort, about 60-percnet of the ship was ruined and would have had to be rebuilt or replaced, Rear Adm. Eric Ver Hage, the commander of Navy Regional Maintenance Center and the director of surface ship maintenance and modernization, told reporters today in a phone call.

“After thorough consideration, the secretary of the Navy and the chief of naval operations have decided to decommission the Bonhomme Richard due to the extensive damage sustained during that July fire. In the weeks and months since that fire, the Navy conducted a comprehensive material assessment to determine the best path forward for that ship and our Navy,” he said.

It definitely sounds like scrapping is the best option. Lousy way for a warship to go out, though.

I don't know how morale in the Navy is nowadays, but it doesn't seem to be trending in a good direction. This fire, preceded by the two destroyers which suffered casualties in two separate collisions at sea. . .

Any of our active/veteran Navy folks hear any good rumors as to the suspected arson suspect?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was inevitable. Frown

quote:
“In the end, the decommissioning decision had a number of factors, and one of which was, what would be the impact of the dollars spent and the actual effort to rebuild, what would be the impact on the industrial base? The dollars definitely would disrupt our strategy for investment. And then from an industrial base perspective, we had concerns that it would impact new construction or other repair work, and we knew that Gulf Coast would be the spot to get the building or the restoration done because of the capacity and their capabilities – but in the end made the decision for multiple factors, as I mentioned, that decommissioning would be the way to go,” Ver Hage told USNI News during the call.

A revealing but, damning quote regarding the shortcomings of shipbuilding as a strategic asset, the current capabilities and the existing state of affairs regarding that industry.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A sad end for a good ship, but the decision is not surprising just based on the estimated cost to repair...

Why spend $3.5 billion repairing a 23 year old vessel of an older class, when you could just replace it with a whole new LHA of the newer America Class design for $3.4 billion?

Like a car that's been in a bad wreck, the adjuster has just totaled it because the cost to repair is higher than the cost to replace.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post