SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gen Zs attempt to answer street interviewer questions- it's getting worse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen Zs attempt to answer street interviewer questions- it's getting worse Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
We have seen similar videos, but the level of collective ignorance displayed in this video is unbelievably shocking. At this point I'm not sure there is any reason for tax payers to continue funding public schools..at least not the tax payers that fund whatever schools these people came from.

Despite one or two of them feigning embarrassment at their ignorance, I don't get the impression that they truly comprehend just how ignorant they really are, or concerned enough to do anything about it.

These young people are barely functional... and will either vote for our future leaders, or become one themselves.

That a public school system in the U.S. has been allowed to turn out students this deficient in basic knowledge is a national disgrace.

I'd like to see the next interviewer ask them to name what schools they attended, name all their teachers they had, and name their principals.

@ 11 minute video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oMv93EUpY

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
While these can be entertaining for the shock value I find dumbasses of all ages, and edited footage omitting the educated members of a given population doesn’t exactly warrant broad stroke opinions from me on the generation as a whole.

If I were to pass judgement it would be on their parents for raising such ignorant children.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
While these can be entertaining for the shock value I find dumbasses of all ages, and edited footage omitting the educated members of a given population doesn’t exactly warrant broad stroke opinions from me on the generation as a whole.

If I were to pass judgement it would be on their parents for raising such ignorant children.

Let's say any and most of the educated answers were edited out. And, let's say that in reality, only 5% of the population is really this ignorant and really so uncaring about their own lack of education. 5% of 330 million is 16.5 million folks who will vote next November because the public schools are failing miserably in all areas except one: They have been programmed to VOTE even though they know nothing about what's really going on in the world. 16.5 million if only 5% are this dumb! And, I think it's considerably more than 5%.

I believe the dumbing down of the people has been intentional. An uneducated and unaware voter who doesn't know how to reason is much more easily cowed into voting for the Democrats.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

Let's say any and most of the educated answers were edited out. And, let's say that in reality, only 5% of the population is really this ignorant and really so uncaring about their own lack of education. 5% of 330 million is 16.5 million folks who will vote next November because the public schools are failing miserably in all areas except one: They have been programmed to VOTE even though they know nothing about what's really going on in the world. 16.5 million if only 5% are this dumb! And, I think it's considerably more than 5%.

I believe the dumbing down of the people has been intentional. An uneducated and unaware voter who doesn't know how to reason is much more easily cowed into voting for the Democrats.

Uneducated folks vote for both parties. It’s a wash. I’d wager your 5% of the population is closer to an accurate number of those truly educated enough on current events to vote properly.

These videos are entertaining but that’s it.

And again, intentionally dumbing down doesn’t get a pass in my book, lazy ass parents and people are the only place to put blame for folks not taking advantage of the greatest concentration of knowledge ever to exist.

Posts: 6323 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Just because you're 'educated' doesn't mean you're smart... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll meet you part way and agree that there is likely some editing out of those who gave correct answers but, looking at the surrounding area, it appears interviews all occurred in the same area (NYC Broadway?) and that interviewer and his film crew appeared to know just where to go to find this level of ignorance. They wouldn't have gone there unless they were confident they would find a critical mass of ignorance.

Take these videos in totality, the Jay Leno videos from Hollywood, the Jesse Waters videos on a boardwalk (NJ?), this video, and all the others.

Consider the news story of the utter dismal GPAs of graduates coming out of that Baltimore high school.

One out of every two black children are reading below grade level in Denver schools.

Sure, yeah, the parents are to blame as well, but there is a reason that so many parents are pulling their children out of public schools, and either turning to home schooling or charter or private schools.

I'm not saying there aren't any good public schools with good teachers and principals left, only that they are the exceptions and not the rule.

There was a time when the American public school system was the envy of the world, but that's no longer true.

I've met many internationals that can read and speak english, know more about U.S. history and geography than the people in that video.

I'll say it again, it's a national disgrace.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I think we’re agreeing that America is full of ignorant people, whether that’s a growing problem or simply more apparent with technology is where we might disagree.

I argue that labeling Gen Z as a problem or more ignorant than any other generation is silly and worse than these folks who cant answer simple knowledge questions.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
So wait, you're telling me you know Baby Boomers or Gen Xrs that don't know how many dimes are in a dollar, don't know how many stars are on the U.S. flag, don't know how many minutes in a quarter hour, what state Utah is in, and don't know when the U.S. was founded? Really?

Take any random 15 Boomers, any 15 random Gen Xrs, any 15 random Millennials, and any 15 random Gen Zrs, ask them all the same questions from the video... and you expect the same incorrect answer rate from all the groups?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Take any random 15 Boomers, any 15 random Gen Xrs, any 15 random Millennials, and any 15 random Gen Zrs, ask them all the same questions from the video... and you expect the same incorrect answer rate from all the groups?

I agree, however...

If you asked a Boomer and a Gen Z to describe the flag of Lichtenstein, it's likely neither would know. I'd put my money on the Gen Z to be able to grab their phone, search and answer more quickly and accurately. I grew up in the age of rote memorization, but I don't think it's nearly as useful a skill as it once was.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I agree, however...

If you asked a Boomer and a Gen Z to describe the flag of Lichtenstein, it's likely neither would know. I'd put my money on the Gen Z to be able to grab their phone, search and answer more quickly and accurately. I grew up in the age of rote memorization, but I don't think it's nearly as useful a skill as it once was.

1) I seriously doubt the Gen Zrs in the video even know Lichtenstein exists, let alone how to spell it in a search...and they didn't even reach for their phones to search for answers to the interviewers questions.

2) You believe that there is no value in remembering how many states make up the U.S., no value in remembering what countries we share a border with, no value in knowing what continent you live on, no value in knowing the difference between a state and a country, no value in remembering when the U.S. was founded, no value in remembering how many minutes make up half an hour, no value in remembering how many dimes make up a dollar, and no value in being able to calculate how far you would travel in one hour at a rate of 60 m.p.h.?

If other nations are able to teach their people these things before they come to visit the U.S. is it too much to expect that U.S. students know and remember the same things without performing an internet search?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Time is valuable. Educated people are not going to stand around and waste their time being interviewed by someone who probably has an agenda.

Think of the most intelligent people you know. Do they ever answer phone surveys or participate in stuff like this or do they make considerable effort to avoid situations like that video?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Time is valuable. Educated people are not going to stand around and waste their time being interviewed by someone who probably has an agenda.

Think of the most intelligent people you know. Do they ever answer phone surveys or participate in stuff like this or do they make considerable effort to avoid situations like that video?
My inclination would have been to give answers that are correct and true, but not what the interviewer was expecting.

For example, in response to the question about what language is spoken in Idaho, I might start enumerating Indian (Native American) tribes that live there and have their own languages.

Or, in response to the question about who fought in the civil war, I might refer to the civil war in Spain, Franco vs. the Loyalists.

The capital of Chicago is 'C' -- city names normally start with a capital letter.

I would have fun with an interviewer like this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

So what? If it's one in 20, it's one too many.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW !!! One person could not even answer correctly the question she was given, however was able to correctly name all of the shenanigan sisters. Our education system is extremely lacking. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
This display of everyday knowledge is absolutely pathetic...Not only is the education system to blame but also the parents for allowing this typeof and failure of the education system...... This sort of display shows the rest of the world (friends and enemies) shows how weak we are and a pathway into our eventful downfall and take over. ....................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did our education system fail these ignorant young people? Quite possibly. Parents apathetic? Also a contributing factor. But, ultimately it was up each one of them to take advantage of whatever education they were offered and they opted out. The interviewer did not ask them if they were degreed or had a diploma. I would not be surprised if they were dropouts.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
There’s no reason why any adult (short of a mental or intellectual disability) shouldn’t be able to correctly identify the number of U.S. states, what countries border ours or name three additional countries.

The people in that video are ignorant, worthless trash who are very likely a net drain on this nation. The level of ignorance displayed in this, and other videos like this, is disgusting.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Videos like this are one of the reasons why the country is so divided. It's not hard to skew the perception so the viewer believes it is reality. I can make a video showing 20 Gen Zers acing every question and follow it up with a bunch of Boomers drooling on themselves and just like that the narrative of who is smarter/has more common sense flips. It's toxic and divisive with the goal to get people to click and confirm their bias against different generations.

Posts: 815 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
And this ^^^ is why I don’t normally post by way of an iPad or iPhone. Lol