SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What "MAN" skill do you wish you have, and wish you had?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What "MAN" skill do you wish you have, and wish you had? Login/Join 
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
Make fire. Regardless of conditions.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Things are always breaking around here and I have gotten pretty handy with my little welder. Oh, the welds hold up alright, but it looks like crap.

Always envied those that know how to really weld.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I desire more hand weapon skills, specifically short stick and knife. Also, I can do karate, but need a stronger inside game.

I recently began studying Filipino Kali (aka escrima/arnis), and can access all of the above and more. Eventually I'd like to move over to Aikido, but this looks perfect for the time being.

I'd also have to say welding. That seems to be a popular one.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
High end carpentry, welding, machine shop skills, and one or two others.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I wish were a stronger swimmer. I enjoy being in the water and can swim/tread water enough to save my ass if I fell off of a bass boat but distance swimming not so much. I marvel a those that can do 50+ laps in the pool and get out no more winded than had they been walking on the tread mill that amount of time.

Maybe not in the manly column, but I'd like to play a musical instrument well enough to entertain people. My musical experience is limited to blowing the trumpet for a couple of years in Jr High band and I'm pretty good at air guitar.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a theme in the thread but I wish I knew how to weld. I also wish I had more knowledge and confidence in home wiring.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty decent at woodworking, but wish I could weld.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I can skin a buck and run a trot line... Grew up shooting, hunting, fishing, and cleaning all of the animals so that's solid from bream up to a deer and all in-between.

I can back a trailer like nobody's business. Had boats growing up and have pulled tons of trailers and I'm quite used to it. On the flip-side, I've never owned a manual transmission vehicle and am sketchy at best with a stick shift. If you're bleeding out, I can get you to an ER but it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I'd say plumbing is my weak point in home improvement. I'm getting better and more confident with electricity. I'm tentative with those things because they can both ruin a house when done wrong and one of them can even kill you.

Otherwise, I can build things just fine. Rough carpentry, especially. I've built a few more finished things and they've turned out pretty well but usually require more patience than I want to expend.

I'm dangerous as a mechanic thanks to youtube. I don't mind small fixes. I can do brakes or oil changes but typically choose not to. I saved myself $700 fixing an oil pressure sensor a few months ago. Small engines aren't bad, either. Don't mind tearing down a carb or something similar.

If I could add a skill it would definitely be welding. I don't know what all I'd weld... it would probably be more of a hobby than a necessity.

I would also like to pick up reloading at some point, though I don't actually shoot enough right now to make it worthwhile. My goal is to shoot shotguns enough to where it makes sense to reload shotgun shells.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have the skills needed for shooting, hunting and fishing including after the kill like butchering, smoking and cooking the meat. My survival skills are good and I can drive a stick, back a trailer, growing a garden etc.

I can pretty much stumble through most things mechanical and projects requiring tools of some kind except plumbing. Any time I need to do a plumbing project I end up having to get more experienced help to do it right. Very frustrating. With the advent of Google and YouTube I can usually figure out how to do things I've never done before.....EXCEPT PUMBING!! Frown

Some things I wish I could do is break into the 80s in golf, anything musical and PLUMBING!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Welding, again. Blacksmithing in general. I do minor versions of each at work everyday, shaping nickel plates on an anvil with a ball-peen, filing, dremeling and sanding before finish soldering for stability and clean appearance.

I desire the knowledge and ability to shape steel to my will. Removal methods, I'm fine on. Anything involving heating to shape or add, zero experience, but all the will in the world.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Field dressing and butchering for me too.

Backing a trailer is something I've just never been able to do. My nephew could do it when he was 10, not me.

Most things automotive beyond simple routine maintenance, although modern cars are so damn computerized that I think it's probably not worth trying to learn now.

Does "understanding women" count?

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
semaphore, morse code, lip reading, sign language, canning, and another language

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Does "understanding women" count?

The OP said "skills" not "miracles". Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Flirting. I'm terrible at picking up cues and making conversation.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Golf. I really tried hard to learn, but I just stink.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Probably several that I need, but the one I wish I had the most is simply a good sense of direction. I'm blessed to be born in a time that has gps available from several sources.

If I were born in the 1800's, I'm certain I would have wandered off hunting never to be seen again.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post