SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What "MAN" skill do you wish you have, and wish you had?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What "MAN" skill do you wish you have, and wish you had? Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Dabbled a little in blacksmithing. Wish I was good at it.

I'm not.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Mechanicing. I'm so weak on taking cars apart and putting them back together.

My mechanics say I'm the absolutely BEST at taking cars apart... that's where the praise stops haha. I can weld a little (not pretty), I'd love to be able to do woodwork, like really nice stuff. I'd also like to be able to hunt. At this point in my life I don't think I'll ever get into it, which is weird because my two best friends are avid hunters and invite me on every trip.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Two skills I wish I had.

1. Welding, although I don't have a need for it and wouldn't actually use it.

2. On the practical side, sewing. It my not be a man skill, but it seems like everytime I turn around I have something that needs stiching or sewing. My instructors belt needs new velcro. I want a custom pocket on my jeans that will cover the clip of my knife. The spray skirt for the kayak I just bought has a whole in it that needs to be patched. I'd like add a solo paddling position to the kayak as well and I am able to fabricate the parts needed except for a new spray skirt. Have to sew that.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Page 2 and nobody has mentioned "hookers and blow?"

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mechanic abilities. I just started to change my engine oil 2 years ago.

Any kind of building/ construction. I can put down tile and some household tasks. But I cant drywall worth shit or frame a room.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some man skills I don't have, but am working on learning:
I need to learn metalworking skills including welding and blacksmithing. I'd also like to become a proficient enough gunsmith to take care of my own needs. I also REALLY need to learn solid first aid skills, and true wilderness survival training.

Some man stuff I can do pretty well:
I can build a house from the foundation up including fabbing the millwork on shapers that I've ground the blades from blank loose-leaf knife stock.

I can catch/hunt just about anything, and am able to gut/clean/butcher/salt/smoke/cure/can/cook/preserve anything on/with 4 legs/fins/feathers. I can also cook most things inside pretty well except baking.

I can fix most things on my cars including replacing the clutch on a FWD, adjusting valves, rebuilding the suspension, basically just about anything outside of the transmission case and engine short block.

I can and do drive anything including semi, tank trucks, HazMat, skateboards, etc

I can faithfully love my wife, pray with/for my wife and kids, sacrifice my own creature comforts for their interests. I can also admit when I'm wrong, accept consequences for my actions without shifting blame, and apologize when I should without trying to justify why I make mistakes.

I've got a long way to go, but thank God for where He's brought me so far....

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can shoot.

I'm working on my auto mechanic skills.

I can't, however, cook. I can cook for myself, but an old injury left me with a deviated septum and diminished sense of smell, which in turn affects my sense of taste...so cooking for other people is very, very difficult.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I wish I was more mechanical. Would be nice to be proficient at wood working, welding and car repair.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I was more mechanically inclined with cars and carpentry. Which is weird because everyone in my family worked in the building trades (carpenters, machinist, pipe fitters). I worked on the demolition side.

I also wish I could back up a trailer. I cannot to save myself, and it was misery in the Army. I think I am the only one to ever fail the trailer course.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've never learned how to slaughter/butcher or field dress an animal. That's something I feel I should really know how to do.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I think my main wish would be musical ability.

My step-Mom was determined that I learn how to play the piano. The music teacher talked her out of it after a half-dozen lessons...

Second would be the desire/skill to get into some sort of martial arts. I've never been in a physical altercation in my life and would suffer an epic ass-kicking if I ever did. I suspect I'm too damn old to start now, and I'm pretty certain I wouldn't stick to it anyway. Too comfortable in my fat old body.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wish I wasn't so skeeved out over snakes, but it's instinctual and visceral. Not so much fear but an enormous sense of Fuck That.

And being a better/real welder would be cool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I've never learned how to slaughter or field dress an animal. That's something I feel I should really know how to do.

This is mine as well. Nobody in my immediate family or parent's circle of close friends hunted growing up, so I never had an opportunity to learn. Not the sort of thing a teenage boy is gonna figure out on their own.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I can delegate like a son-of-a-gun and know guys who have all the man skills I lack.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Animal Husbandry.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Welding, and automotive electrical.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Carpentry, I'm for shit at it. I have rudimentary skills and a bit of understanding, enough to know I'm unskilled

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
So, I can get round the kitchen, garage, shop, etc, pretty good. And I can even weld!

The greatest compliment I ever received was from my friend who is a world renowned Kidney Transplant Surgeon. I inquired if it was difficult to transplant a Kidney. He replied, "I have seen what you can do with your hands, I can teach you in a day or two."

But, I wish I could keep and love a beautiful woman. If you have that, you don't need anything else.

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Page 2 and nobody has mentioned "hookers and blow?"

Had that skill about 25 years ago. It got expensive. Hahaha.
I would say carpentry like some others. Decent in plumbing, electrical and cars from my Dad. Learned to hunt and fish early on so I've cleaned fish and dressed out animals including a caribou.
Ok cook but my forte is the grill. I can't tie a tie for shit but I rarely wear one so I just enlist someone else to do it for me.
Tried some carpentry and I really suck at it. Helped build a set of wooden steps at work and all my work had to be redone.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Welding and some serious self defense stuff and deep sea diving, did that once in 40 ft of water with no training and proper gear,stupid..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post