SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Post your favorite Amateur Radio links
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite Amateur Radio links Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I had been wanting to get a nice hand held HAM radio for some time until today. I came across the Yaesu radio I’ve wanted used. They quit making it and apparently it’s a fairly in demand radio cause every where I looked it was still $350+. It’s a VX-8DR. My cousin is a “technician” and has been helping a lot. I’m reading a couple of books to get ready for the test, soon hopefully. So, I know there are a good number of y’all here... point me towards some good websites. I’m more interested in this for emergency communication, etc. Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a lot on eham for reviews of products and to get additional info websites. Good luck!
Jon KD8ARK

Posts: 12 | Location: Ashland, Ohio | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
get the West study book - its loaded with useful links

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.hamtestonline.com . Select the test you are studying for and memorize the answers.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 708 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Gordon West books. The current General is about to change to a new question pool which will affect study guides in print or online so if you plan to test before June 30th you’re good. After June 30th it will probably change some. Try for your General while you’re taking the Tech. The info will be fresh and it about the same amount of questions, some repetitive from Tech or at least same ballpark. Best of luck to you. Going to finally get off my butt and at least attempt the General before my Gordon West book needs replacing. Also, Eham is a good source. Bought a Yaesu VX-3 and 7 there. Would love to have the 8. Good choice. N4IOI

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the suggestions!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My favorite HT is my Icom ID-51A. One cool feature is that you can tether a tablet to it and select repeaters on a map.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree the Gordon West books and go for the General at the same time as the Technician. Go early for the test as the guys are only there for a limited time and won’t let you take the second test if you are running up against their beer time. In our case the second test was free thus saving $15.00 and it is good experience. Good luck, KC3FMT...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
QTH.com for classifieds. QRZ has classifieds and forums as well but they also allow you to build a page with photos so when people look up your call they can see what you want to show them, rigs, shack etc. It also has a nice logbook function.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QRZ.com or Hamtestonline. Study the Tech practice questions. Element 2 (tech) has 35 questions with 29 correct to pass exam. Exam is usually $15, payable to AARL and given by fellow Hams once a month. Check with local Ham radio club for date and time.

Stick with Tech license for now as your Yaesu VX8 is UHF/VHF 5 watt. Get a list of repeaters in your area from Ham club. Repeater hook ups are free. Win system is one, Echolink ($$) with computer is another.

W&W battery in New York has great prices on aftermarket batteries for the Yaesu. Half the price of the OEM battery.

Good luck,

KJ7FTH.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Our local VEC doesn't even charge for the test. I'd recommend taking a swat at the General test at the same time... it won't take long and you never know. You don't have to get into HF until you're ready, but if you already have the ticket, so much the better.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 6 or so HTs. I skinnied down to a FT-60R. IMO it is the best value for a HT.
KG4SZS

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
I’ve had 6 or so HTs. I skinnied down to a FT-60R. IMO it is the best value for a HT.
KG4SZS

That’s my trusty HT as well.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post