SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    French "sniper" has pistol malfunction during presidential speech

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
French "sniper" has pistol malfunction during presidential speech Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...e-French-speech.html

Part of the story:

"According to an initial enquiry, the soldier had left the safety catch off his service revolver and the gun went off my mistake.

The officer was lightly injured, and so was a cocktail waiter who was standing close by inside the marquee where Mr Hollande was making the speech.

The waiter, who works for a catering company, was said to have an injured foot, and was treated at the scene."

Methinks he should not have been playing with his sidearm. What kind of training did he get?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

"According to an initial enquiry, the soldier had left the safety catch off his service revolver and the gun went off my mistake.

Safety catch on his service revolver? Huh?

And could you imagine what would happen if a gunshot went off anywhere in the vicinity of the POTUS? In this case, Hollande "pauses, looking over to the area from where the sound came from, and then continues his speech." If that were President Trump, dozens of agents would've materialized guns in hand ushering Trump out the fastest way possible.

And by the way: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1250012024

But you're hardly to blame with the ridiculously obscure title.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The gun went off. Roll Eyes

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats, and I scanned the forum to make sure this was not a duplicate. I missed that "whoops" thread.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I had no doubt that another thread on the subject would appear in time based on the title of the other one.

This one also provides more information. The “sniper” part of the other story led me to assume that a rifle was the gun involved.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
as the head of state opened the new high-speed train line between Paris and Bordeaux

Clearly it should be called a bullet train.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I had no doubt that another thread on the subject would appear in time based on the title of the other one.

This one also provides more information. The “sniper” part of the other story led me to assume that a rifle was the gun involved.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you just have to laff, eh?

Quote - 'Local press said the soldier wasn't able to control his gun, and colleagues saw him jumping on the spot before taking refuge in a kitchen where cocktails were being prepared.'

Guess that gun attacked him and took him by surprise before chasing him into the kitchen....what a crock of sh*t.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I bet he's writing parking tickets today. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I bet he's writing parking tickets today. Chris

With a crayon.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...e-French-speech.html

Part of the story:

"the soldier had left the safety catch off his service revolver and the gun went off my mistake.

Crap, I just checked and the safety catch is missing on all my revolvers!!!

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a translation error? I only see "revolver" once in the story, and I know French police still carry revolvers, but I don't think they have safeties on them, though there are revolvers with manual safeties. But it's like in Russia, "rifle" can mean "shotgun."

Still, it's gonna be hard for someone from such an "elite" force to live down a boner like this.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Maybe it's a translation error? I only see "revolver" once in the story

That was my thought. On a few occasions, I've seen the phrase "service revolver" used to refer to any handgun used by a LEO, even if it's not in fact a revolver.

Or maybe it's the French media's version of the US media's "every rifle is an AK/every pistol is a Glock" misconception. Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ça s'est juste passé!! J'étais là, m'occuper de mes propres affaires, manger un croissant, quand tout d'un coup BANG! Mon Dieu!! Ai-je tué le Pape???

FORNISANT FRANÇAIS!

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The old “Clue” game I had as a kid identified “revolver” as one of the possible weapons, but the prop was a very nice little 1911 replica. Just think of all the poor children who grew up confusing the two.

Et la plume de ma tante est sur la table. Sacré bleu!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post