SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whoops!

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Whoops! Login/Join 
Banned
posted
French police sniper accidentally shoots and injures two people during speech by President Hollande

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl...inkname=news_central

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
One local report said the safety catch was unlocked and the gun discharged.

Sounds like amateur hour.

And seriously, how would anyone have any clue what this thread is about with a click bait title like "Whoops?" Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it a Remington 700???

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

And seriously, how would anyone have any clue what this thread is about with a click bait title like "Whoops?" Roll Eyes

You are right of course, but don't ya just love surprises? Cool

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

At least "Oops!" would have been better. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
and on a serious note: the article said: One local report said the safety catch was unlocked and the gun discharged. And unsaid was, his sights were not on the target, his finger was on the trigger and his head was up his ass.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There were credible reports that some Remington 700 rifles would discharge when the safety was disengaged. Even if that was the rifle involved (unlikely), though, that doesn’t excuse anything else.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
maybe Oh merde or Mon dieu would be appropriate

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Judging by the picture of the location, retitle the thread "A Shot In The Park"?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
There were credible reports that some Remington 700 rifles would discharge when the safety was disengaged. Even if that was the rifle involved (unlikely), though, that doesn’t excuse anything else.

Isn't that the point? I feel like maybe I'm missing something here. You mean merely disengaging the safety without using the trigger would cause the rifle to fire?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
I feel like maybe I'm missing something here. You mean merely disengaging the safety without using the trigger would cause the rifle to fire?

Yes.

quote:

The recall includes all Remington Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with X-Mark Pro triggers manufactured between May 1, 2006, and April 9, 2014. Individuals who believe their rifle may fall under the recall should locate their gun's serial number and visit www.xmprecall.remington.com or call 800-243-9700.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
would discharge when the safety was disengaged.

Isn't that the point? I feel like maybe I'm missing something here. You mean merely disengaging the safety without using the trigger would cause the rifle to fire?

Yes, “would discharge when the safety was disengaged” means the gun would fire (discharge) when the safety was moved to the fire position (disengaged) without any other action by the user.

“Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and the gun won’t fire,” is cute and all, but not 100% correct.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The Remington recall addressed rifles produced:

"May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) trigger. Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 are not subject to recall."

The recall is a bit confusing. Articles from 2014 talk about the recall and problems. At the same toon, the recall notice is dated 2017 as are a number of news storied, including a 60 Minutes piece.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had a TC 30-30 single shot pistol once upon a time. It would fire by itself upon merely closing the barrel down onto the frame.

Factory was most willing to present a new replacement.

I was fairly amazed at what a 150gr factory soft point would do to the trunk channel of a 1953 Buick sedan.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I too wonder what the response was from his security team? Were they waiting to see if a second shot found its mark?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Disengaging the safety will increase muzzle velocity by 100%.

posted Hide Post
Chaos reigns. I've seen three stories: 1) this one; 2) a story that said a soldier sniper/sharpshooter shot himself with a pistol in the foot and also hit a waiter in the calf; and 3) a story that said a police officer sniper shot himself with a revolver(!) while also hitting a waiter in the calf *and* foot and hit a railway worker somewhere.

All three stories blame the safety.

This linked story is the least confusing - it doesn't specify the weapon as a pistol (or revolver!) which really didn't add up for a "sniper". Also, the French police use the Sig 2022, which has a decocker, not a safety.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I too wonder what the response was from his security team? Were they waiting to see if a second shot found its mark?

Maybe they are just not fond of their protectee.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We used to have an unspoken rule that threads subsequent to the first thread which were on the same topic would be locked.

This was done so that members could participate in meaningful and unfragmented discussion, and so that we would not have multiple threads throughout the board discussing the same topic.

But, by creating unhelpful and vague thread titles, you guys are defeating the purpose of our measures meant to insure that your own discussions stay on track.

Look at the thread title. What does it tell you about what's being discussed in this thread? How will anyone reading it know it's not about someone's dog having an accident on the floor? Or soliciting advice on how to get wine stains out of white carpet? Or what to do when you launch your AR lower pivot pin detent into hyperspace?

Before you post, please make your thread titles germane to the conversation you intend to have. It helps everyone including your fellow members.

TLDR: If the title ain't on topic, the thread ain't on topic. it gets Locked or deleted.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post