SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL fans fume as Mexican Mariachi band perform national anthem on Monday Night Football
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
NFL fans fume as Mexican Mariachi band perform national anthem on Monday Night Football Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
At least they didn’t play the Black national anthem.

NFL fans fume as Mexican Mariachi band perform national anthem on Monday Night Football

20:19 EDT 28 Sep 2026, updated 20:49 EDT 28 Sep 2026

NFL fans couldn't believe their ears when a Mexican mariachi band performed an unusual rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner before the Eagles-Bears Monday Night Football showdown.

Ahead of kickoff at Soldier Field, the Grammy-nominated Mariachi Herencia de Mexico were given the stage to perform the US national anthem live on ESPN in front of tens of millions of viewers.

The rendition left fans split as they watched on from home, with one writing: 'Why they got a mariachi band playing on my TV, f***s going on?'

Another added: 'Why in the F is a garbage mariachi band playing the national anthem.'

A third said: 'Maybe it’s just me… but hearing the American national anthem played mariachi-style on Monday Night Football feels weird. I understand putting your own spin on music, but the national anthem is one of those things that just hits harder when it’s kept traditional. Some things don’t need reinventing.'

Others, though, loved the performance, with ESPN playcaller Joe Buck even claiming it gave him 'chills' when he took over in the booth.

On X, one fan claimed: 'Whoever decided on the mariachi band national anthem needs a raise immediately.'

The performance was part of the Bears' annual 'Latino Heritage Month' celebrations, with various Latino-inspired activations taking place around the stadium.

It was the first time a mariachi group had ever performed the national anthem at a Bears game, making history in front of a packed stadium.

The group had even appeared on Pat McAfee's ESPN show earlier in the day to preview their performance, with the host claiming he was 'pumped up' to watch it.

It became a very divisive decision from the Bears, though, as some claimed the franchise had 'lost its mind' by veering away from the usual patriotic performance.

The tradition of performing the national anthem ahead of NFL games is a long-standing and extremely patriotic one, with Americans - in the stadium and at home - often quick to judge the performance.

Acoustic versions often come in for the most criticism, and that was exactly what the mariachi band produced on Monday night.

As they performed, ESPN showed a wide shot of the field with the American flag, before panning around some confused-looking players and crowd members.


Q






 
Posts: 31456 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I’ve got mixed opinions on this one, I think.

On the plus side, the band played better than some singers who try too hard to “personalize” it.




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
 
Posts: 16418 | Location: VA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I didn’t hear it, but have no problem with the concept.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11803 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I watched it and was not impressed. Just asked myself 'Why' ?
 
Posts: 1255 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m against. It’s an anthem. A symbol. It doesn’t need to be personalized or popularized or arranged differently. It should be performed as written. It’s not pop.

Some things should just be left alone. Ave Maria or Amazing Grace shouldn’t be rapped.

Mariachi bands during halftime, fine.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15149 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of heydrich
posted Hide Post
Not even interested in the NFL anymore.
They killed it for me.


“I'm fat because every time I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Is committed to helping increasing carbon emissions.
 
Posts: 715 | Location: The Other Side of Morning  | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The fact that people still watch the NFL is the problem here. They are about as anti-American as it comes. But, I guess we have short memories


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38691 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I questioned WTF is a Mexican mariachi playing the national anthem.

Didn’t like it.


-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat
 
Posts: 4043 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I dont watch football anymore but I saw it. Nothing wrong with it at all. If people want the original version written by Francis Scott Key and everything else is blasphemy, make sure you voice your disagreement with Whitney's version too.

Is the big bitch because a Mexican based band did it or is it more because it wasn't the version you grew up with? There are many great renditions of the national anthem this wasn't one of them, but it was nicely done and quite respectful. I mean Hendrix did his twist and no one complained.
 
Posts: 4513 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This goes on a long list of things I never asked for, and don't need, along with Joe Buck.

"Chills" my ass.
 
Posts: 1475 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Free taco's would have been a better idea.


"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
 
Posts: 9206 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

Is the big bitch because a Mexican based band did it or is it more because it wasn't the version you grew up with?

Neither. It's the silly pandering plain and simple, and the expectation that the rest of us are supposed to clap wildly and appreciate the unique artistry this version brings to the NFL experience. I'm looking forward to October when the NFL will have an Oompah band do the Anthem to celebrate the diversity of that specific cultural demographic who watches the NFL.

Full disclosure: I don't watch NFL so I didn't see it, and I won't bother look for it on YT. But if the NFL does an Oompah band version, I will look that up.




"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
 
Posts: 2684 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:

Neither. It's the silly pandering plain and simple


They have gone woke and at each chance they get they try to stick their thumb in the eye of the viewer. This is merely the 2026 version of taking a knee


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38691 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I bet it would cause some heartburn among the fans if their special black national anthem was played by a mariachi band…




“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
 
Posts: 16618 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
“Everything woke turns to shit.”

- President Trump


__________
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
 
Posts: 4124 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I thought it was respectful, well played, and as a former trumpet player, I've got to say, that guy has great tone and lots of chops.



"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
 
Posts: 13700 | Location: Florida, Northwest of the Mouse | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Mariachi is pretty American at this point, but I'm not sure on the venue here, there are a lot of sunbelt teams this would have been more fitting for. like the Chargers, or the Raiders, but Bears/Eagles? why?


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9559 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What makes it American? It may be popular in certain areas but does that make it American? One might argue that the opposite in fact. Do we think that Mexicans in Mexico would consider mariachi part of American culture now?

If there is celebration of another culture, why is that cause to let them play our national anthem? If we had the three tenors sing the anthem just because they were good, that might be one thing. But to let the mariachi band play the anthem because they are celebrating latino heritage now doesn't sound right.

So when will the NFL have a British or Irish or German or French or Spanish or Japanese or Chinese folk style band play the anthem at NFL games? When is Spanish heritage month? Maybe the NFL can get a flamenco band to play the anthem.

BTW, I enjoy mariachi music when apropos. This occurrence, however, doesn't seem apropros.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15149 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
This goes on a long list of things I never asked for, and don't need, along with Joe Buck.

"Chills" my ass.


I will still watch football but joe buck can eat a bag of dicks …
 
Posts: 3321 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
glad I missed that. buck is a dumb fuck.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21950 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL fans fume as Mexican Mariachi band perform national anthem on Monday Night Football

© SIGforum 2026