SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
After reading the article in the OP, it doesn’t take much to see there seems to be an undisclosed agenda.

A few selected excerpts…

Measured Emissions from Gas Cooktops and Ovens
The outdoor standards for NO2 emissions exposure are 100 parts per billion (ppb) for the United States (EPA) and 60 ppb for Canada.

Let me repeat that … these are the levels for outdoors.

Here are the indoor measured NO2 emissions levels when a gas stove is performing the following functions: (5)

Baking cake in the oven (230 ppb)
Roasting meat in the oven (296 ppb)
Frying bacon on the stovetop (104 ppb)
Boiling water (184 ppb)

Here’s the most disturbing piece of information. Even when a gas cooktop or oven is not cooking anything, it is producing NO2 emissions according to the study! (6)

Gas cooktop (no food): 82-300 ppb
Gas oven (no food): 130-546 ppb

Hmm, compared readings to outdoors. Not shocked that indoor air is going to have higher readings of anything when compared to outside.

A more relevant comparison might be measuring against homes with electric stoves maybe?

Also note the “even while not being used” range of numbers cover the “while in use” numbers. Now I am no scientist, but to me that suggests that the range may not be related to the reading. Also how does a gas range not burning gas cause “excess” NO2 which is a byproduct of combustion?

Being an inquisitive type person, I would be really curious to know what the measurement process was. Such as distance from the gas appliance, type of structure, with or without a ventilated hood running, hell even the type of area and weather where the reading was taken (urban, suburban, rural).

Considering the greatest source of NO2 is Internal combustion engines, I would expect higher readings in some locations and at times of years than others and that could possibly have a greater impact on the readings than the stove.

Doesn’t seem (or at least the article didn’t mention) much in the way of actually analyzing the info and proving causation.

If you punish yourself long enough by continuing the read, you find this nugget:

”However, the research is only just now getting attention due to the realization that respiratory health and clean air are crucial to avoiding/surviving exposure to COVID-19.”

It goes on to further condemn gas heat, water heaters, and gas fireplaces as well. Gee, no surprise there. Roll Eyes

You be the judge, “science” or agenda?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don’t see propane listed in the newest, bestest mandate for what is best for us. They can all kiss my ass.

We have a propane range that operates on standard 17 pound tanks. I have 3 in rotation that last about a year, believe it or not. I don’t plan on complying with this stupidity.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution

My farts cause more indoor pollution than my stove.

Come and take it you pinko bastards.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same areas that can't guarantee reliable electrical service want to get rid of reliable gas.

In some parts of the country it's possible to freeze to death. Those educated idiots had better stay far away from here.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

My farts cause more indoor pollution than my stove.

Come and take it you pinko bastards.

Just to clarify, you’re referring to the stove right?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had a 36 inch (vented to outside) chimney hood installed over my new 30” 6 burner GE Cafe gas range and I’m already glad I did. Cooking lots of bacon for Christmas Eve breakfast and salmon tonight would have normally stunk up the house but the vent sucks it all right out.

It’s got 3 settings: quiet/whisper, medium and 747-On-Takeoff!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Every time I light my gas stove, the light on my air purifier turns red. The stove does vent to the outside but I doubt 100 percent of the pollutants vent outside. We had a 7 hour power outage recently and I lit the stove with a match. Modern stove, no pilot light. Hot dinner in a cold house.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was just down in Peru. It’s interesting contrasting these type of issues with people struggling to get by with necessities of life.

I look at it as the nanny state do-Gooders looking for a headline. Yep, may as well create more regulation & cost for us in the USA, continue the trend.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess all of the burning organics from actual cooking are more of a 'pollutant' than products from combustion.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Honestly, I worry more about the leakage from my microwave, but that's just me.

I'm sure that you're aware that the microwave is on approximately the same band as 2.4 Ghz WiFi which is on all the time, right?

Then of course, there's the 5Ghz band in WiFi. Lots of folks have both in their WiFi setup.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I'm sure that you're aware that the microwave is on approximately the same band as 2.4 Ghz WiFi which is on all the time, right?

Then of course, there's the 5Ghz band in WiFi. Lots of folks have both in their WiFi setup.

Yeah well, last I checked, my Wi-Fi was heating up my leftover lasagna.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I am not worried about such tiny, minuscule levels of NO2. I’ve gotten a facefull of the real thing- red/orange smoke. It sucked and I lost most of my nose hair for a few weeks, but I’m still alive!

Exposure to the water in your mucous membranes creates nitric acid, but at those levels, you will never notice.

I love my gas cooktop and would not go back to electric. Having a gas line for it was one of the perks of the property.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Get your high-capacity, gas stoves and ovens now before the ban … Roll Eyes

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Gas stoves, wood burning, and your typical tank or upright vacuum cleaner are three of the worst contributors to indoor air pollution.
The worst in my house is the burning of wood, but at least it's an "air tight" stove rather than open fireplace. My vacuum system is central so the fine particulates are exhausted outside, and my stove is electric with an exhaust hood.
Back when I built if I had gas or propane here I would have gone with a gas range. But now after getting used to electric I'm not sure I would, even if I put in a propane tank for a gas furnace? Not for air quality concern just that electric is so easy to clean.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
This is clearly all part of a larger agenda. Over the decades, I have seen bans go from no outdoor burning (e.g., leaves and trash), requiring new homes to have gas in place of wood fireplaces, to now proposing no gas stoves or fireplaces. My current home has a gas cooktop, but the oven is electric and the fireplace (vented to the outside) gas. As a widower, my use is minimal. What none of the articles point out is that as the bans push homes to all electrical, the demand on the already fragile electric grid and the loss of fossil fueled power generation will result in ever higher electrical bills for the consumer, something already experienced where I live.

Posts: 153 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Agenda +1, now queue the concerned politicians scrambling to find the nearest TV camera.

“We have to DO SOMETHING!!!” Because reasons.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
As a person who has always had a gas range as well as with over 40 years in the appliance industry they are full of crap.

It's just part of the war on using fossil fuels. I saw that article a week ago and as soon as I saw that the Sierra Club was involved, I knew it was a piece of crap.

This man is 100% correct.

They are going to push more and more onto an over burdened, antiquated electrical grid until it crashes, hard.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Man has been cooking over fire since the beginning of time. And now some imbeciles think it’s somehow bad for us. Do we not have something, no - anything better to do?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mjlennon,

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Also note the “even while not being used” range of numbers cover the “while in use” numbers. Now I am no scientist, but to me that suggests that the range may not be related to the reading. Also how does a gas range not burning gas cause “excess” NO2 which is a byproduct of combustion?

Pretty sure "no food" and your analogy of "not being used" and "not burning gas" are two entirely different things.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post