SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: gas stoves cause indoor air polution Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Also note the “even while not being used” range of numbers cover the “while in use” numbers. Now I am no scientist, but to me that suggests that the range may not be related to the reading. Also how does a gas range not burning gas cause “excess” NO2 which is a byproduct of combustion?

Pretty sure "no food" and your analogy of "not being used" and "not burning gas" are two entirely different things.

Admittedly, I may be misunderstanding the authors point, but that would be on them. To note that separate readings with “no food” suggests to me the idea that the appliance emits NO2 while not being used. If it was on and burning gas, why make a distinction of food or no food?

Quite possible to be misunderstood, but just another example of a poorly written article pushing an agenda.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, the kitchen in our house had a gas stove and oven. The stove had a central pilot light and the oven had a pilot light. They burned all the time. I can understand some form of emission, albeit small, from a pilot light. The house I grew up in was well built and warm. It was by no means airtight so any emissions from gas appliances were offset.

Fast forward to my kitchen in 2023. Electric oven and gas cooktop. The cooktop has electric ignition. There is no open flame when all burners of the cooktop are turned off. There is no emission from that cooktop when it is off. Methinks the study is flawed or using WAY old appliances.

IHMO, forced conversion to all electric would be a disaster. We don't have the power generation nor the manufacturing capacity to force that conversion. Of course that matters not to people with no grasp of reality.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
All gas ovens and ranges make CO (carbon monoxide) due to the "flame impingement" of the oven burner on the cold spreader plate, and flame impingement of the top burners onto the cold pans themselves. Properly adjusted air/gas mixtures produce very little CO and pose no dangerous levels of CO, but it is still measurable at the source with a portable CO detector.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
There's currently no indoor air quality or outside venting requirements for home appliances.

?

It's been a few years, but I would have sworn when I had a 6-burner gas stove put into a rental house, there were requirements for the hood's CFM capacity before it passed code.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
As a person who has always had a gas range as well as with over 40 years in the appliance industry they are full of crap.

It's just part of the war on using fossil fuels. I saw that article a week ago and as soon as I saw that the Sierra Club was involved, I knew it was a piece of crap.

Exactly, these commies are full of shit, just a lame attempt at eliminating fossil fuel entirely.

Except for 4 years of living in an apartment with an electric range back in college, I have always had a gas stove in the house; growing up and including all of the homes I have purchased in my life (Viking gas range, Wolf stovetop, now a DCS stovetop). And I, and those in my family, do not suffer any health issues from these appliances.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
My farts cause more indoor pollution than my stove.
[/QUOTE]

Be patient,they will get to you. Cows first, then you.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and ban peanut bitter because if you eat it can make you fat! What is happening to this society?

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the study they cited was on 53 homes

all in California

if you want to curb pollution, cull the people making these stupid suggestions

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ll panic in 100 years or so. Lord deliver us from these ninnies.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CO and Natural Gas detector in my kitchen area. It has never gone off and never strayed from a 0.0 reading.

Nuff Said.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
What happens if my gas stove identifies as an electric?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
https://www.thehealthyhomeecon...angers-alternatives/

Long article so didn't want to post it all here. Bottom line is homes with gas stoves have more nitrogen dioxide (50 to 400 times more), as well as carbon monoxide and other particle pollution. Biggest impact on children and those with respiratory issues such as asthma.

There's currently no indoor air quality or outside venting requirements for home appliances. If you have a hood that vents to the outside seems best to use it whenever you cook regardless of whether you need it for smoke removal or not.

Debunked as junk science:

https://junkscience.com/2023/0...-asthma-in-children/

Here is a quick summary of the some of study’s principle flaws, in no particular order:

It’s not actual research on children. It is a meta-analysis of previously published (and ignored) studies — a study of otherwise unpersuasive studies. The authors did a literature search for previous epidemiologic studies on gas stoves and asthma in kids and then just mixed those results together in an effort to contrive statistical significance. This is a bogus technique for a number of reasons including publications bias in the component studies — i.e., studies with null results aren’t published.

The study results, including the component studies, are weak statistical associations — i.e., noise range correlations. The study results, likely including the component studies, are not statistically significant either.

Asthma is an allergic disease. There are no allergens in natural gas. So the study has no biological plausibility. No one knows what causes asthma in children and so competing causes could not be ruled out.

The claim that gas stoves are responsible for 12% of childhood asthma – an epidemiologic concept called “attributable risk” – is entirely bogus because epidemiological studies can only be used to associate exposures with disease. They cannot be used to determine risk of disease because (1) the underlying data is not representative of the population; and (2) epidemiologic studies are just statistics (i.e., correlation is not causation) and cannot be used by themselves to determine cause-and-effect relationships.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Biden official backs off gas stove ban talk after backlash

t’s getting hot in here.

​A Biden-appointed commissioner at the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission tried to turn down the temperature after a report that the agency was considering a national ban on gas stoves because they emit harmful pollutants.

Richard Trumka Jr. told Bloomberg that the appliances are a “hidden hazard” in a story published Monday.

“Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned,” he told the news outlet.​

Trumka — the son of late AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka — later clarified that any new regulation would only pertain to new appliances after he was called out on Twitter by Rep. Gary Palmer (R-Ala.).

“Over 40 million American households use gas stoves,” Palmer wrote. “This type of power should never have been given to unelected bureaucrats and it is time for it to end.”

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
The leading proponent of this is the Rocky Mountain Institute heavily funded by the World Economic Forum.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This was a trial balloon to see the reaction, they’re backing off for now but don’t think for a second they’ve given up on this. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the sake of this discussion, what are our options when it comes to indoor home cooking:

Gas
Natural or, Propane - high heat output, flexible heat control, inexpensive energy, open flame, uses flammable gas, requires necessary venting

Electric
Induction - no open flame, smooth cooking surface, commercially used for precision cooking, expensive, cookware specific, cook surface prone to scratching
Coil - low cost, no open flame, not dealing with toxic gas, heat generation is limited, temperature control challenging
Glass covered coil - similar to coil, looks like induction with smooth surface making clean up very easy, no open flame, no gases requiring venting, limited temp control, cook surface prone to scratching.

I would be fine with induction stoves, but my understanding is they are crazy expensive. Have costs come down or, even competitive to more popular gas or, coil options?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I stole this, but it belongs right here... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
'No secret government agency is going to bust down your door and take your gas stove away,' Ocasio-Cortez told Republicans

Bitch, if you had your way, that's exactly what would happen. Fuckin' moronic totalitarian hole.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
There is no need for a stove of any kind. You can us a single burner hot plate to steam vegetables, and avocados and tofu do not need to be cooked.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post