SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is important to know now and what was considered essential to know 40 years ago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is important to know now and what was considered essential to know 40 years ago Login/Join 
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I visited a charter high school where they were showing the students fractions with paper plates and whipping cream. Yikes!

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guessing they can build an app for their phone in about 30 minutes.

It took me about that long to rebuild a VCR.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I remember when barber shops were a place where men went to get a haircut and shave. A place that held those distinctly masculine smells; rich, soapy shaving cream and the subtle, sharp hint of aftershave.

A place where men could talk.

A place where men could help their fellow man with advice or a job.

A place where boys went with their fathers to get their own haircuts, and in the company of men began learning how to be men themselves.

Now everything is salons or parlors or studios, with the ambience of 2 star hotel lobby trying hard to pretend it's really four stars.

I miss real barber shops. Last one I knew of where I lived closed years ago when the the old man who ran it retired. It was turned into a salon for a while afterwards. Then it was abandoned for a while. Now its a taco joint.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I got a wad of 20s from the drive by ATM at my bank. Then went to a drive by burger place. One of the 20s was older with the previous portrait of Jackson. I handed it through the window. Female appearing and possibly youthful person looked puzzled and called over an equally described coworker. Together they examined the bill, holding it to the light and all. I was amused. I traded them a newer bill much to their relief. I also explained that the one bill was an older design.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6318 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at Costco's meat department today at 6pm. There was heat coming off the coolers, all the meat had condensation inside the cellophane. Knocked on the window and told them about the heat and the case display read DEF. They said they thought is was normal.

Posts: 1406 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
She asked me how long I liked the sides to be.

I told her 1/4 inch long.
She replied " I don't know what that is"

"Is that a #1, #2 ,#3 or #4 ?"
I didn't know what the clipper numbers meant until about 10 years ago. (They are 1/8s of an inch; eg, 1/4" long is equal to 2/8", or a #2 clipper. I don't know why the general public is expected to know barber-specific terminology.

And while we're on the subject, why do barbers hair stylists ask how much I want taken off? This presumes I know fairly accurately how long it beforehand and that is the same all over. I only know how long I would like my hair to be (all over) after the cut.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is entertaining to order from my local McDonalds. I once ordered an apple pie with my coffee and paid for my order. Once I got to the pickup window, they let me know they were out of apple pies, but could they substitute? I said sure and they then informed me it would be 75 cents more. I replied, "How about I just cancel the order and drive around again to get my refund?"

Two weeks later, I order a Happy Meal for my granddaughter. When asked what drink to go with it , I told them we already had drinks so I didn't need one. Her answer: "I'm sorry sir, but I can't sell a Happy Meal without a drink to go with it". Being the nice guy that I am, I just ordered a Coke so that I didn't confuse her by asking her to fix it and then pour it out!

As they say in the South, "Bless their hearts"!

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I got a wad of 20s from the drive by ATM at my bank. Then went to a drive by burger place. One of the 20s was older with the previous portrait of Jackson. I handed it through the window. Female appearing and possibly youthful person looked puzzled and called over an equally described coworker. Together they examined the bill, holding it to the light and all. I was amused. I traded them a newer bill much to their relief. I also explained that the one bill was an older design.

A bit amusing, yes, but also praiseworthy, as they were paying enough attention to the cash to make sure that it was a good bill.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Making simple decisions. I didn’t even realize I was doing it at the time. Employers have taken away the need or ability at every level possible and continue to look for more.

I admonished the VP that as he dumbs down the job , there are 2 idiots creating an even dumber SOB as we were speaking. He could not get ahead of them, no matter what he thought of he wasn’t dumb enough.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Now everything is salons or parlors or studios, with the ambience of 2 star hotel lobby trying hard to pretend it's really four stars.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

A bit amusing, yes, but also praiseworthy, as they were paying enough attention to the cash to make sure that it was a good bill.

$2-bill; Sacagawea dollar coin; Kennedy half-dollar.

$3.50.

The confused look on their faces when tendered.

Priceless!!!!!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2703 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
40 years ago...................Reading, writing, arithmetic

Now................am I a boy or girl or both

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember when barber shops were a place where men went to get a haircut and shave. A place that held those distinctly masculine smells; rich, soapy shaving cream and the subtle, sharp hint of aftershave.

A place where boys went with their fathers to get their own haircuts, and in the company of men began learning how to be men themselves.

I miss real barber shops.

I second this observation. And it was haircut and done, no extra time spent on showy antics like they are a Benihana chef.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want to instill complete confusion. Go to the Deli and ask for 1/3 pound of something. If you add that's .33 of a pound you have a 20% chance they get it right. Otherwise you get anything from 1/8 pound to 1 3/4 pounds.
.75 on the scale. That's close isn't it?

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is a real barber shop like that near my house. Owner is an old-timer, trophy fish that he caught are mounted and hanging on the wall. Magazines like fishing, cars, firearms.

The other two younger barber guys, one has a lot of tattoos, the other looks like he lives in the weight room in a gym.

I used to go there all the time, old-fashioned haircut, senior discount on weekdays.

Once The Virus hit, I stopped going, I just don't want somebody that close to my face if it's not necessary. Got a Wahl clipper set and my wife uses a 1/4" (# 2) to just leave a little stubble.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tank , my barber here in tiny town had to close up and sell for health reasons,,
After 30 years.

I wonder what he did with the dozen decoys and half dozen wild life prints.

Gun talk. Hunting ,fishing, baseball and cooking were his topics on a regular basis.

No girlie mags ,smoking or swearing as it was mom's would bring in the boys on a regular basis

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54665 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I ordered a burrito from a truck. Asked if they had change for a $100.

Burrito was $5.50.

Gave her the money and she had a confused look on her face.

I told her the change would be $94.50. Her confusion got worse, so she pulled out a calculator.

After she punched in the #’s, she exclaimed to me “You must have gone to college” with now an amazed look on her face…

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post