SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passed my Aikido test today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passed my Aikido test today... Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Congrats for being a young and dedicated 64 year old.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congrats.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Congratz and thanks for the inspiration! I have been toying with the idea of trying Aikido classes at the ripe old age of 61 (been doing Filipino Martial Arts for a while now). I did a very hard style Aikido while stationed in Hawaii back in the 1980s (lots of Honolulu cops training there).

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
That is awesome, congrats

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Congratz and thanks for the inspiration! I have been toying with the idea of trying Aikido classes at the ripe old age of 61 (been doing Filipino Martial Arts for a while now). I did a very hard style Aikido while stationed in Hawaii back in the 1980s (lots of Honolulu cops training there).

You should! I did Filipino Kali for about a year prior to training in Aikido.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Well done Sir. A great step in your journey.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Ausgezeichnet!!!

Fantastic!! So proud of you, my friend.

Didn't know we were so close in age.

Omedetou gozaimasu, hontou ni Big Grin

My FIL is (was?) black belt. He's now 89 and also did judo.

We got to see him when we were in Japan over Christmas and New Year's, when we were there to mainly see our new grandson.

(btw, wife rolled her eyes, when i mentioned kaishakunin... Wink )

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That's a serious accomplishment.

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful news, Congratulations!

Posts: 885 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
That’s an awesome accomplishment, congratulations!

What ^^he^^ said. That’s awesome!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Outstanding sir!

Posts: 6003 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! Ni-Dan here under Aikido World Alliance (Andrew Sato Sensei).

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Awesome progress congrats!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7052 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
An outstanding endeavor and accomplishment. Congratulations!

I took several years of Taekwondo while in junior high and high school, but other pursuits eventually pulled me away. I've toyed with the idea of getting back into some form of martial arts, but realistically with my limited training time, it would be limited and focused on self defense.

Do you compete in competitions and tournaments?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I did Aikido for a few years when I was in college. I really enjoyed it and took away at least two things that served me well in my career. Really effective wrist locks and the ability to fall without injuring myself. The wrist locks were great when it came to controlling unruly suspects. The falling because I'm a clumsy oaf and only get clumsier the older I get.

I should really get back into it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
An outstanding endeavor and accomplishment. Congratulations!

I took several years of Taekwondo while in junior high and high school, but other pursuits eventually pulled me away. I've toyed with the idea of getting back into some form of martial arts, but realistically with my limited training time, it would be limited and focused on self defense.

Do you compete in competitions and tournaments?

There's no competitions in Aikido (we do have seminars). When I was doing karate, I did the odd tournament, but wasn't really into competition per se.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post