SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passed my Aikido test today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passed my Aikido test today... Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Some of you know that I enrolled in an Aikido dojo 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 60. Today at age 64 I managed to pass my senior brown belt test. In another year I hope to be ready for an attempt at shodan, first degree black belt.

Sorry for the grainy vidcap...

Ushiro-zuki by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Outstanding at any age, but at 64 it's truly incredible! Congratulations!!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Nice work, congrats!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sugoi. Omedetou gozaimasu.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Congrats kkina!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I took Aikido many years ago. It was/is my favorite martial art.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I know aikido, karate, jiujitsu, and several other Japanese words.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Quite the accomplishment.

I also took aikido many years ago. I used it extensively in my bail enforcement career. If there was a dojo anywhere close for me, I might consider getting back into it.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Best of luck as your journey continues.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
That’s an awesome accomplishment, congratulations!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic!

I took up Aikido many years ago, when Steven Seagal was all the rage and I regret not staying with it.

I now at 53 years old, I figured maybe it was too late to get back into it.

Thank you for posting this, I have to check this out again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
That’s a serious accomplishment which requires great dedication. Going to the Shoran level will be like going from a nice 1911 to a finely tuned full custom 1911.

I achieved brown/double black stripe in my younger years which the next belt would have been black but with career and family changes I lost my ability to dedicate the time and focus. One of my greatest regrets in life. If I started back up now, which id love too if I could, id have to train in a diaper. Maybe there’s a style where I can earn a black diaper?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Good for you, kkina

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment!

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I would be remiss were I not too include a pic of me practicing for the test the day before, during which I managed to take a bad fall resulting in a picture-perfect face-plant.

Here I am post face-plant undergoing emergency fermentation therapy...

Beer Therapy by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
All these years I’ve apparently been doing beer therapy wrong.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
おめでとうございます!
(omedetō gozaimasu!)

Congratulations!

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post