SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Conditioner (Heat Pump) replacement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Conditioner (Heat Pump) replacement Login/Join 
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Isn't tonnage from the very early days when the machines were only used to produce ice and then someone realized they could cool air as well?

My Dad was in commercial HVAC all his life before retiring in 2008 and told me of some really really old systems he saw when he was younger that used AMMONIA as a refrigerant and apparently they were really dangerous and nasty to have to service.

I always wondered where the use of tonnage came from. Cooling is BTU rejection, and has nothing to do with weight. The NYC Aquarium had one of the last active ammonia refrigeration plants in the US. It's an excellent refrigerant, but absolutely deadly if it gets out of the system.

16,000 BTU = 1 Ton of air conditioning
32,000BTU= 2 tons a/c
Not sure how or why, but that's what it is

Umm, actually, 12,000 btus is the number you are looking for representing a ton.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I know nothing about HVAC. What does the ton rating and SEER rating mean? Thanks.
Tonnage is the amount of volume a system is designed to heat/cool, while SEER rating is how efficiently the system will heat/cool that space. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient (and expensive) the system is. Of course, the higher the SEER rating, the more complicated and expensive the system is to fix when it goes sideways. And regardless the branding on the cabinet, they all go sideways eventually.
Thanks!

And this is how misguided information is spread. Someone who 'thinks' they know HVAC, posting inaccurate information.

Tonnage is the capacity rating of an air conditioner. The amount of BTU's which can be removed from a space in an hours time (one ton = 12,000 Btu's). Since every given space is different (insulation, windows, doors, location, ceiling height, floor/wall/roof construction, etc) volume is not an accurate measurement.

The SEER rating is the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio - higher the SEER rating the more efficient the unit is in removing heat from a space.

HSPF Heating Seasonal Performance Factor is the efficiency rating of a unit's ability to heat a given space.

Since a higher SEER rated unit may only have larger coils or a more efficient blower motor, it doesn't always translate to complexity or expense when it comes to repairs.
Really? You are of course correct in your "expert" commentary, but every HVAC sales person in Central Florida will explain to a perspective new customer what tonnage and SEER are exactly the way I did, to make it simple for a layman who has no interest in learning HVAC. Tonnage is most assuredly tied to the size of the space to be heated/cooled. And people only pop for additional SEER units because they think it will be more efficient and save them money on their electric bill. And do tell, how do manufacturers get more SEER (higher efficiency) out of their units? Bigger coils, dual or variable speed compressors or multiple compressors, and lot of fancy electronics allowing the thermostat, air handler, and compressor to continually communicate with each other. And of course none of those additional pieces and parts cost more to put into the unit or to replace when they go bad. I had a high SEER Carrier unit prior to my current install, and the best purchase associated with that unit was the extended warranty given the number of service calls and parts replacements it saw over 10 years.

You seem to have taken my comments in this thread very personally. I don't know why because I never called you out on anything or included you in my negative commentary about local Central Florida HVAC companies sales and service policies. Given the thread has now devolved into utter worthlessness to the Op who posted it, I'm going to exit as I have zero interest in perpetuating what is nothing more than a pissing contest at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a heatpump but this past weekend I noticed my air handler/blower was sounding a tad "off", kind of like a helicopter landing so after the initial trip into the attic and hitting it with a broom (never works), I took to the phones....

First call was to Home Depot as they offer AC service in my area but by service they mean they have a 3rd party call you and tell you they can send a tech but your whole system is probably shot so we will send a "comfort consultant"....Um, no your fucking wont!

After a few more calls I finally asked a friend who she used as I knew she had some issues and found someone good. Best call I veer made!

She warned me her guy was a bit "off" but it the best possible way.

When I got him on the phone I gave him all relevant info, age of system, what's been done to date and so on. I was bracing myself for the worst but instead it just asked me to go up in crawl space and take some pics then text to him so he made sure he had the right parts and he would be at my house at 630am.

He was at my front door on time and kind of resembled an older, smaller Dog the Bounty Hunter. After about 45 minutes upstairs he came down with my fan and showed me what was wrong and they showed me the new one, making certain I knew it was a Carrier part. Few minutes later he called me up and told me that the motor was working BUT there was a lot of play in the shaft but I should be OK for a while. I opted to replace that while he had system apart and yes, he dragged the motor down and the shaft was very wobbly.

After he finished he looked at the rest of the system and declared it to be in good working order.

He was at my house for the better part of the morning, did a full check up, replaced the fan, motor and bracket yet only charged me $500.00 and as far as i can tell was the most honest tradesman I have ever dealt with!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Looks like it’s going to be a 3-ton Trane XL16i Heat Pump with a TAM9 Air Handler.

Single zone?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In BD's defense we run units in FL damn near every day of the year, sure in the winter we have down time. There are lots of AC installers, companies here, it's big big business in CFL.

My last install was a Bryant 14 seer, at the time moving up in seer was big money. Now it's not as bad.

If you want to know how competitive it is and how much money you can make in FL in the AC business check out Bob Dello Russos home, he sold half his company in an ESOP and now has a 27,000 mansion in Central FL.

https://virtualglobetrotting.c...sos-house/view/bing/

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Isn't tonnage from the very early days when the machines were only used to produce ice and then someone realized they could cool air as well?

My Dad was in commercial HVAC all his life before retiring in 2008 and told me of some really really old systems he saw when he was younger that used AMMONIA as a refrigerant and apparently they were really dangerous and nasty to have to service.

I always wondered where the use of tonnage came from. Cooling is BTU rejection, and has nothing to do with weight. The NYC Aquarium had one of the last active ammonia refrigeration plants in the US. It's an excellent refrigerant, but absolutely deadly if it gets out of the system.

16,000 BTU = 1 Ton of air conditioning
32,000BTU= 2 tons a/c
Not sure how or why, but that's what it is

Umm, actually, 12,000 btus is the number you are looking for representing a ton.

Woops, You are correct, had a senior moment

1 ton =12,000 BTU's

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Actually one ton is equal to the amount of heat required to melt one ton of ice in a 24 hour period.
a British Thermal Unit is the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.
Ice has a specific heat value of roughly half of water.
You think R-717 was dangerous ( flammable ) try the new stuff CO2. Special tools for the extreme pressures.
My apologies to the OP for the thread drift. I couldn't resist.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvactech:
quote:
quote:

Actually one ton is equal to the amount of heat required to melt one ton of ice in a 24 hour period.
a British Thermal Unit is the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.
You think R-717 was dangerous ( flammable ) try the new stuff CO2. Special tools for the extreme pressures.

Ok, makes sense. I work/worked with R12, R22, R134, and R410. What kind if systems use CO2.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, makes sense. I work/worked with R12, R22, R134, and R410. What kind if systems use CO2.

R-744 primarily industrial refrigeration. The company I worked for installed a system in MD for a medical facility. I believed it was serving imaging equipment such as MRI. I don't know much and therefore avoid such.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

R-744 primarily industrial refrigeration. The company I worked for installed a system in MD for a medical facility. I believed it was serving imaging equipment such as MRI. I don't know much and therefore avoid such.

I looked it up. It appears to be ideal for food freezers, ice rinks, and the like.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
In BD's defense we run units in FL damn near every day of the year, sure in the winter we have down time. There are lots of AC installers, companies here, it's big big business in CFL.

From page 2:

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_man:
Run time on properly operating equipment is moot.

Its also BIG business any where which gets hot and humid.
Or running a heat pump system where it's cold.

HVAC is HVAC

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Really? You are of course correct in your "expert" commentary, but every HVAC sales person in Central Florida will explain to a perspective new customer what tonnage and SEER are exactly the way I did, to make it simple for a layman who has no interest in learning HVAC. Tonnage is most assuredly tied to the size of the space to be heated/cooled. And people only pop for additional SEER units because they think it will be more efficient and save them money on their electric bill. And do tell, how do manufacturers get more SEER (higher efficiency) out of their units? Bigger coils, dual or variable speed compressors or multiple compressors, and lot of fancy electronics allowing the thermostat, air handler, and compressor to continually communicate with each other. And of course none of those additional pieces and parts cost more to put into the unit or to replace when they go bad. I had a high SEER Carrier unit prior to my current install, and the best purchase associated with that unit was the extended warranty given the number of service calls and parts replacements it saw over 10 years.

You seem to have taken my comments in this thread very personally. I don't know why because I never called you out on anything or included you in my negative commentary about local Central Florida HVAC companies sales and service policies. Given the thread has now devolved into utter worthlessness to the Op who posted it, I'm going to exit as I have zero interest in perpetuating what is nothing more than a pissing contest at this point.

There's so much mis-information in your above post , I'm not even going to point it all out.
I do hope people ignore it, because IT IS false information.

You could have just left it alone without posting more inaccurate information.

I'll answer the "take it personally" comment.
Because I want to help people get the facts and derail all the bullshit.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Before

After
Not fully hooked up but, here she is.
Trane XLi

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please tell me that they didn't reuse the old line set?!?

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
All lines coming from the new unit are definitely new.
Hole into the house has been enlarged a bit.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear. The little 3/8 copper line looked to be the old one.