SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Conditioner (Heat Pump) replacement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Conditioner (Heat Pump) replacement Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
3 ton split heat pump

Found HVAC outdoor condenser tripping outdoor breaker due to a grounded compressor, all windings are showing grounded and will not allow system to operate.

Repair Option: $2,140
Replacement Option: $5,600
3 Ton Ruud 14 SEER Split Heat Pump
Full Equipment Replacement with 10 yr parts warranty, 1 year labor, 1 yr preventive maintenance.

Yes, I do believe this includes a new air handler unit.
Goodman 3 ton 14 SEER Complete system = $2092

Rheem 3 ton 14 SEER Complete Heat Pump System - Call (855)473-6484 for special pricing.

These guys will ship to your house at additional expense, but its worth it given their equipment pricing. Shipping to your local freight terminal is free if you can pick it up.

When I replaced our 5 ton heat pump system a few months back, I bought the equipment (Goodman 14 SEER) myself, and then hired an installer for $1,500 to install it for me. I have substantially less invested in my 5 ton install than you were quoted for a 3 ton install by going this route. And there are no issues with warranties or anything else so long as the installer you hire is licenced.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hey Doc, I have this kidney in the cooler, will you do the transplant for me?

What makes you think you're going to get a top notch install using the above practice?

Who sizes the equipment?
Who verifies that the ducting is adequate for said equipment?
Who is going to do the warranty repairs?
Will you receive the best service in the future taking this path?

Not to mention, you're the one dealing with any shipping problems or damages to the equipment.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice.

Abandoned Big Box stores and narrowed it down to three local HVAC companies.

It will either be York, Trane, or Ruud.
Waiting on the Trane estimate.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
^^^ Hey Doc, I have this kidney in the cooler, will you do the transplant for me?

What makes you think you're going to get a top notch install using the above practice?

Who sizes the equipment?

Not to mention, you're the one dealing with any shipping problems or damages to the equipment.
You're kidding right? You must be, or you're trolling for an altercation.

This isn't rocket science. If your home was build 20 years ago and has functioned perfectly with its originally installed 5 ton heat pump, it will do just fine (and more efficiently) with a nice new 5 ton heat pump. And to state it once again since you apparently missed it the first time around, so long as the installer you use is fully licensed, you can register the warranty post-install without issues. Call Goodman/Amana/Rheem and ask them. I did before I ever went down this path.

And if you're smart (I was), the installer you select will also be the company you want to do your service going forward. As a matter of fact, I got a bit of discount on my install because I signed an annually renewing service contract with them. See how all that dovetails nicely together.

And shipping issues? Really? I'd say the odds are low, and for a $3k overall savings, I'll deal with it.

But by all means, feel free to go forth and pay two to three times more for the same equipment and installation I got if that makes you feel all fuzzy inside. In the meantime, I'll sit here and enjoy my nicely cooled home office knowing I have almost $3k in the bank I didn't need to spend.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I will be following this thread, as we have a 15 year old heat pump that is going to be serviced tomorrow. I am hoping we can get at least one more year out of it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I see bigdeal’s point which is good, however I honestly struggle just to keep up on my day job.

Just not enough time in these 24 hour days for me to take that route.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Lennox, who use evaporator coils made of copper tubing and which are susceptible to formicary corrosion.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I see bigdeal’s point which is good, however I honestly struggle just to keep up on my day job.

Just not enough time in these 24 hour days for me to take that route.
I didn't mention that living on Central Florida I was close enough to loop in a trip to this distributor and pickup the equipment myself avoiding any potential issues with shipping and shipping delays. Maybe I was lucky (or not) to find two really good, reputable, companies that were more than willing to install equipment I sourced myself. And the company I chose for the install is owned by a military vet who has been nothing short of fantastic to deal with. As a matter of fact, he was even willing to do a phone call with me to answer a couple wiring questions I had when 'I' installed my new Ecobee WiFi thermostat. I've sent several people I know who have needed AC work his way so far and will not hesitate to do so in the future.
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Stay away from Lennox, who use evaporator coils made of copper tubing and which are susceptible to formicary corrosion.
I believe they've resolved that issue at this point. That huge lawsuit they had to deal with over this issue a few years back really hurt their credibility in the market. That was the main reason (along with cost) I avoided them as a option for our system replacement.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

As did every other manufacture... They have gone to aluminum coils now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Who sizes the equipment?

No, I'm not kidding and no, I'm not trolling.
Do you have any clue as to what I do for a living?

quote:
This isn't rocket science. If your home was build 20 years ago and has functioned perfectly with its originally installed 5 ton heat pump, it will do just fine (and more efficiently) with a nice new 5 ton heat pump. And to state it once again since you apparently missed it the first time around, so long as the installer you use is fully licensed, you can register the warranty post-install without issues. Call Goodman/Amana/Rheem and ask them. I did before I ever went down this path.

I don't rely on someone doing a proper load calculation whom I've never met, that might or might not have done one 20 years ago.
You might have found the one in a million techs that will do a good job and take care of you. But this isn't normal when going down this path. Hell it's hard enough to find a quality company without limitations.

I didn't say Goodman would deny the warranty claim. It's finding a contractor that will provide the service for you. See when doing warranty work, the distributors make the contractors pay for the parts, until they receive a credit from the manufacture. At which time the contractor receives a credit from their distributor. Then comes the labor, which is eaten by the dealer. As the manufactures don't pay for service calls, labor, shipping costs, etc. for installing warrantied parts.
Warranty claims is one thing which is normally covered by equipment markup (as with every item you buy on a day to day basis).

quote:
And if you're smart (I was), the installer you select will also be the company you want to do your service going forward. As a matter of fact, I got a bit of discount on my install because I signed an annually renewing service contract with them. See how all that dovetails nicely together.

That's all nice, an annual contract is an unneeded line item for a properly sized, installed and setup equipment.
Pure revenue for the dealer.

quote:
And shipping issues? Really? I'd say the odds are low, and for a $3k overall savings, I'll deal with it.

Yes, really. Equipment is made cheap, using thin metal and minimal packaging. Shipping damage is often a problem, especially when it includes refrigeration coils and plastic drain pans.
If you want to take the chance, fine. But many people find it a hassle to deal with when such an event happens.

quote:
But by all means, feel free to go forth and pay two to three times more for the same equipment and installation I got if that makes you feel all fuzzy inside. In the meantime, I'll sit here and enjoy my nicely cooled home office knowing I have almost $3k in the bank I didn't need to spend.

Nope, I'll just do the complete job myself and save even more money. Smile

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given your other posts out here I'm gonna guess HVAC work. And that's fine, I'm not taking swipes at you personally, but HVAC in Central Florida is a thieves den of companies that will gouge, rape, and pillage every where they can get away with it. One company (one of the largest in Central Florida) I had come out and quote my replacement system refused to even break down their $7k+ quote for the exact same equipment I later bought myself. Nope, you can't see what we're charging for the equipment and/or our labor. I called BS on that nonsense. And that company wasn't even quoting to do a replacement of the 20 year old line set. They did however do all the system and load testing for me to properly size the new system. Did I mention they quoted me the exact same equipment I bought?
quote:
Hell it's hard enough to find a quality company without limitations.
Quality is only part of the equation. Finding a company here that won't rip you off at every turn is as big an issue.
quote:
That's all nice, an annual contract is an unneeded line item for a properly sized, installed and setup equipment.
Perhaps, but because we run the ever loving hell out of systems all summer long to fend off 95+ degree temps, an annual check of $70 doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Additionally, some manufacturers (I can't remember which - Bryant/Carrier I think) require documentation of annual service to insure your warranty stays in effect.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Given your other posts out here I'm gonna guess HVAC work. And that's fine, I'm not taking swipes at you personally, but HVAC in Central Florida is a thieves den of companies that will gouge, rape, and pillage every where they can get away with it. One company (one of the largest in Central Florida) I had come out and quote my replacement system refused to even break down their $7k+ quote for the exact same equipment I later bought myself. Nope, you can't see what we're charging for the equipment and/or our labor. I called BS on that nonsense. And that company wasn't even quoting to do a replacement of the 20 year old line set. They did however do all the system and load testing for me to properly size the new system. Did I mention they quoted me the exact same equipment I bought?

Everyone thinks the HVAC business is special in FL. I guess FL has a special breed of people who own companies.
Nope, they are everywhere.

They wasn't going to do a quality job (by not replacing the line set), but you thought they'd do a proper load calc?
Too funny.

quote:
quote:
Hell it's hard enough to find a quality company without limitations.
Quality is only part of the equation. Finding a company here that won't rip you off at every turn is as big an issue.

A quality company covers everything, from providing quality products, services and practises. If they rip you off, that's not quality, if they do a hack job, that's not quality.

quote:
quote:
Perhaps, but because we run the ever loving hell out of systems all summer long to fend off 95+ degree temps, an annual check of $70 doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Additionally, some manufacturers (I can't remember which - Bryant/Carrier I think) require documentation of annual service to insure your warranty stays in effect.

Run time on properly operating equipment is moot.

And a big negative on any service records to insure a manufacture's warranty claim.

However, there are a couple aftermarket home warranty companies who require documentation. But that's a completely different racket.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

You’d be surprised at what can get damaged during a ‘drop’ ship, if you catch my drift.

Also, I can ‘service’ a split system in under an hour with tools I get at Home Depot, no special training or license required. Just sayin........

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would not have a big box company's contractors doing my HVAC, no way, no how.

I have a Thermal Zone (United Refrigeration HVAC supply company's house brand, made by Rheem) heat pump at my rental condo and it's been going great since 2011.

We just had a Lennox AC and gas furnace installed last July and it's been great too. The most important thing as people will tell you is using someone who knows what the hell they are doing. It's better to have a Goodman installed by a highly competent technician than a Trane installed by some Bubba hack any day.

Which is why I would not trust the people that Lowes or HD would hire to do their HVAC work.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about HVAC. What does the ton rating and SEER rating mean? Thanks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
They wasn't going to do a quality job (by not replacing the line set), but you thought they'd do a proper load calc?
Too funny.
They probably did as good a load calc as anyone else I might have called. To date over the past 20 years, I've likely dealt with a dozen or so local HVAC companies on my personal and the rental homes. With the exception of the guy who installed my recent system, all of them fall into the "Never again" category. I've dealt with many plumbers, electricians, and other trades over time, but HVAC guys seem to be a special kind of scumbag, especially during the summer months. When your AC fails in June, July, or August (as it usually does here), the blood is in the water and these guys know they can screw someone to the wall because their customer 1) knows nothing about HVAC, and 2) just wants it to be cool in their home again. I have no issue with someone making a buck, but I have a huge issue in the way these guys go about what they do.
quote:
A quality company covers everything, from providing quality products, services and practises. If they rip you off, that's not quality, if they do a hack job, that's not quality.
Then I've found virtually no "quality" HVAC guys operating a business in Central Florida. They all cut corners, they all gouge on pricing, and they all don't care if they ever get a penny of business out of you a second time, so long as they get to screw you long and hard the first time.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I know nothing about HVAC. What does the ton rating and SEER rating mean? Thanks.
Tonnage is the amount of volume a system is designed to heat/cool, while SEER rating is how efficiently the system will heat/cool that space. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient (and expensive) the system is. Of course, the higher the SEER rating, the more complicated and expensive the system is to fix when it goes sideways. And regardless the branding on the cabinet, they all go sideways eventually.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I sell a couple million dollars of Carrier equipment per year.
Not a tech myself, take ExCams advice on what he’s telling you.

The reputable dealers that I call good customers would never do a labor only install for someone they don’t know, you’re probably getting trunk slammers at those prices.
If you have a close friend or relative in the business is the only way I’d consider that route

Shipping damage,hmmmm, by the end of the summer we have a whole corner of the warehouse full of scratch n dent goodies all the way to unusable junk, all from freight damage

Average 3ton hp change out in these parts is $5500-6500, variable speed high seer will be much more.

We actually have a decent outfit that does the big box installs, but they charge more than if you just call them up it seems. The other big box contractor is large, but kinda shady.
1 for 2 on that front, in general you will be gambling going that route.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Who sizes the equipment?

quote:

I don't rely on someone doing a proper load calculation whom I've never met, that might or might not have done one 20 years ago.
You might have found the one in a million techs that will do a good job and take care of you. But this isn't normal when going down this path. Hell it's hard enough to find a quality company without limitations.

I didn't say Goodman would deny the warranty claim. It's finding a contractor that will provide the service for you. See when doing warranty work, the distributors make the contractors pay for the parts, until they receive a credit from the manufacture. At which time the contractor receives a credit from their distributor. Then comes the labor, which is eaten by the dealer. As the manufactures don't pay for service calls, labor, shipping costs, etc. for installing warrantied parts.
Warranty claims is one thing which is normally covered by equipment markup (as with every item you buy on a day to day basis).

quote:

quote:

Yes, really. Equipment is made cheap, using thin metal and minimal packaging. Shipping damage is often a problem, especially when it includes refrigeration coils and plastic drain pans.
If you want to take the chance, fine. But many people find it a hassle to deal with when such an event happens.

quote:

Nope, I'll just do the complete job myself and save even more money. Smile

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
...in general you will be gambling going that route.
This conversation is beginning to tickle my funny bone. So let's run through this quickly.

Company 1 (one of, if not the largest company in Central Florida) comes out, does an assessment, and quotes me $7k for a complete install. Their quote includes Goodman 123 Air Handler and Goodman 987 heat pump compressor.

Company 2 comes out and quotes me ~$1k less to do the same install using the exact same Goodman equipment.

So I go through all the local online ratings places, and ask a few friends for recommendations of HVAC guys, and find a highly rated local guy who's fully licensed, and who is willing the install the same Goodman equipment that Company 1 or 2 would have used, whether he provides it or I buy it myself. Only requirement on his part is that the equipment must be at my home in the garage before he'll agree to schedule the work. Going this route saved me almost $3k overall and kept my warranty in tact, and I was rather impressed with the work this guy did.

So help me out here. How exactly is this risky or gambling with my outcome? I simply removed the HVAC company's markup on the equipment, and kept it for myself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
...in general you will be gambling going that route.
This conversation is beginning to tickle my funny bone. So let's run through this quickly.

Company 1 (one of, if not the largest company in Central Florida) comes out, does an assessment, and quotes me $7k for a complete install. Their quote includes Goodman 123 Air Handler and Goodman 987 heat pump compressor.

Company 2 comes out and quotes me ~$1k less to do the same install using the exact same Goodman equipment.

So I go through all the local online ratings places, and ask a few friends for recommendations of HVAC guys, and find a highly rated local guy who's fully licensed, and who is willing the install the same Goodman equipment that Company 1 or 2 would have used, whether he provides it or I buy it myself. Only requirement on his part is that the equipment must be at my home in the garage before he'll agree to schedule the work. Going this route saved me almost $3k overall and kept my warranty in tact, and I was rather impressed with the work this guy did.

So help me out here. How exactly is this risky or gambling with my outcome? I simply removed the HVAC company's markup on the equipment, and kept it for myself.

Easy, if the unit has a large failure. Goodman is going to ask you which dealer supplied it and which Goodman dealer installed it. Highly rated local guy might be nowhere to be found 6 months from now. So yes, there is some risk in that method.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post