SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About Younger Workers Not Staying In Roles Long
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Younger Workers Not Staying In Roles Long Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Are you guys seeing this? I work for a large company and have been here for 20 years now which I know in itself is very unusual these days. I've been in 4 distinct roles here during that timeframe.

What I am noticing more and more with the young new hires is that they seem to be very fleeting compared to my time here. If you see them stay a year or two that is unusual, I am seeing lots of them getting hired and then leaving in under a year. Is it the pay and benefits they are chasing? I know there's basically no more concept of being loyal to an employer and "doing your time" but this seems to be an accelerating trend among them.

I'd like to know if this is widespread or maybe it's just the industry I'm in.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's across the board.

Even becoming more common in law enforcement.

Workers are job-hopping, chasing better pay and benefits. After all, it's easier to get a pay increase by changing jobs/companies compared to waiting for a raise or promotion.

There's also a bit of chicken/egg going on... Have companies stopped caring about their workers as much (compared to earlier generations) because they hop around so much, or do workers hop around so much because companies stopped caring as much about their workers.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My customer wrote me a glowing review and told me to ask my employer for a raise and they would change the contract to support it. My employer said no and gave me a certificate of appreciation. So now, my customer and I are in the process of moving me to a new employer to gain the raise I deserve.

If you aren't job hopping every 4-5 years, you are selling yourself short. It is far better to negotiate with a new employer than to renegotiate with your current employer.

Posts: 803 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
1. Employees have realized that the days of employer loyalty are long gone, and they are one bad earnings report away from being out of a job, regardless of how well they've performed. It's not exactly a culture that breeds loyalty.

2. Your boss isn't going to give you a 10-15% raise every year, but you can negotiate that while interviewing for other positions. If the new employer can't do it, you stay in your current job. If they can, you jump ship and start the process all over again. Mobility is the fastest way to move up, and now that many positions are remote you can get a job across the country without moving your family.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I see, as pensions continue to go away, there is limited incentive to stay at a particular company.

Also, it seems that the younger folks aren't buying into the corporate culture like the older ones did. The younger floks want a clear separation between work and the rest of their life.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion. I have a couple of thoughts.

Those in Gov. and or public service. Ie: are the ones doing a lot of moving. Plus many young people think working for the gov. is a huge plus. So if they get hired they will leave the private sector to do so.

In the private sector I think it is two fold. Many jobs now days are not career jobs so lots of turnover.

I do not think many young workers are not looking for a career. Just a job.
Also I do not think many employers are not offering jobs that are career oriented either.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19775 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So long as my bills are getting paid and the family is comfortable, I prioritize the work. Do I like what I do? If yes, I’m not spending effort chasing other things. If something dramatic comes up, I’ll consider it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an expert in this, but those who choose govt seem to be okay with less wage and more benefits and much more security in return for not having to work as hard to produce, and not have to push for that next position/company/wage change. Not that they don’t have skill, but not everyone is Hyper-A personality.

And since neither gov or private cares about the individual, workers make their decisions on what the desire more: current wage or future stability.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Companies no longer have any loyalty towards their employees - they’re treated as an e lendable resource. The employees are figuring it out and treating the company’s accordingly.

I’ve had 4 distinct careers, and I retired last September and took a job as a part time consultant. Only to be sued by my former employer.

Posts: 53851 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to PASig, I left after 21+ years and got hired directly for the contract position I had filled for almost 10 years. I make (way) more per hour, work fewer hours, but get lower benefits. I penciled it out and couldn’t be happier.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Across the board in almost every way.

Jumping jobs, relationships, responsibilities, values, where they live, etc.

It's not all of them, but it's the face we are seeing.

A lot of Gen Z are seeking things like blue collar/trades jobs rather than degrees, and in other things.

There is always hope and good material to be found in the worst of places.

The effort to encourage and support that, after all else, is our contribution.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent my entire working career in the electric utility industry . I job hopped a couple of times but always the same industry . The benefit to staying with the same company was the variety of jobs available within the company and the benefits that grow with time . Vacation accrual , Retirement , 401k , etc. The contractors we used were always wanting to get hired full time . Their companies couldn't match the benefit package.

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Companies no longer have any loyalty towards their employees - they’re treated as an e lendable resource. The employees are figuring it out and treating the company’s accordingly.

I’ve had 4 distinct careers, and I retired last September and took a job as a part time consultant. Only to be sued by my former employer.

Agreed that a lot of it is this, especially in large corporations. In my industry, the only real way to get good pay raises is to move around.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I do agree that companies aren’t doing as much to retain. If I had hired into my current employer 3 years earlier, I’d have a pension. Now I just have a Roth 401k.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Agreed that a lot of it is this, especially in large corporations. In my industry, the only real way to get good pay raises is to move around.

That's the perception by HR people and self-processed "strategic leaders" that really don't know enough about anything to formulate a coherent strategy. As a result I see people in higher level positions that have no idea what they are doing and just try to say the right buzzwords.

The kids are doing what appears to get them ahead fastest, to a point. But again, they don't develop any real expertise in anything. By far the worse job hoppers are Indian immigrants. And the stupid HR people keep hiring them into jobs at locations where we KNOW they will not stay very long, and there is constant churning every few years. Guess this keeps salary expenses down, but the negatives outweigh the positives by far.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The second time that I got caught in a round of downsizing, I got the message: the company doesn't believe that they owe me a damn thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:

If you aren't job hopping every 4-5 years, you are selling yourself short. It is far better to negotiate with a new employer than to renegotiate with your current employer.

This. And it's 100% the employer's fault by not doing more to retain talent.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11108 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
1. Employees have realized that the days of employer loyalty are long gone, and they are one bad earnings report away from being out of a job, regardless of how well they've performed. It's not exactly a culture that breeds loyalty.

2. Your boss isn't going to give you a 10-15% raise every year, but you can negotiate that while interviewing for other positions. If the new employer can't do it, you stay in your current job. If they can, you jump ship and start the process all over again. Mobility is the fastest way to move up, and now that many positions are remote you can get a job across the country without moving your family.

This ^^

I have been a loyal employee for 28 years. Found out 2 years ago that I was being paid about 25% less than new people we would bring in. Luckily I found out from someone in the company that pushed my pay to where it should be. Companies aren't loyal and the younger generation knows they will get better pay by jumping around.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I increased my pay by 50% in two years simply by leaving and then being hired back by the same company. And I'll do it again if I have to.

They could have saved themselves (and me) a lot of hassle simply by coming to the table the first time. But that's not how it works these days.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’ve been told that the path to higher pay is a new position elsewhere. Leaving in a year is maybe extreme but within two is not. Get experience and build skills and move to the next company for more pay and responsibility. They can’t get a $10k raise by staying and showing they can do the work but a new hire, who they’ll have to bring up to speed, comes in making that $10k more so the answer is to leave. Employers don’t reward loyalty. They don’t reward taking on extra work.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post