SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple CarPlay and my Genesis G70 sports sedan **update, page 3, problem resolved**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Apple CarPlay and my Genesis G70 sports sedan **update, page 3, problem resolved** Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I find this BS of improperly coded updates very common in GM vehicles.
The more of these software screw-ups in my GMC EV (Cadillac LYRIQ), the more impressed I am with Tesla. My LYRIQ lease expires one year from today. I'm going to take a very serious look at a CPO Model Y. The Tesla website shows a lot of recent model demos, service loaners, and lease returns, in stock at the Tesla location in Kissimmee.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I drove a Model Y about one day after reading on X about how "seniors" were raving about FSD. We got a demo drive--1/2 hour ALONE with the Y, most of it on FSD. We were both amazed. The next day I ordered a new Y L Launch edition. But won't get it until December--they are very very popular.


_________________________
“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. –Daniel Webster (1782-1852)"
 
Posts: 19628 | Location: Foothills of the Sierra Nevada | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I find this BS of improperly coded updates very common in GM vehicles.
The more of these software screw-ups in my GMC EV (Cadillac LYRIQ), the more impressed I am with Tesla. My LYRIQ lease expires one year from today. I'm going to take a very serious look at a CPO Model Y. The Tesla website shows a lot of recent model demos, service loaners, and lease returns, in stock at the Tesla location in Kissimmee.


I agree, and GM's current position that Apple Car Play and Android Auto are eliminated as connectivity options. They want full control of the infotainment system, whereas the market (Apple, Samsung) have championed open market options on their devices for consumers to choose what apps they want is going backwards.

It works but the restrictions are inane, and it's going to get worse if reports are to be believed.

I swear that GM's programmers have been told to make it as impossible and difficult as they can to have your phone's hotspot connect each time so you are pushed to buy the OnStar $30 a month internet service.

Now when we had the demo period of OnStar, 90 days with free wifi everything worked perfectly, once it was up and I had to go to a hotspot for Pandora, Spotify, Waze then things started going sideways, the car wouldn't pick up the hotspot, and if it does, then it doesn't always connect via wifi and apps won't work.

Think I'll write Mary Barra a letter about the new Tesla I'll be ordering, or I might get the new Ford EV Pickup $27K before initial roll out markups.
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A few posts above I reported that the navigation system of my 2025 Genesis G70 had stopped working, and that I’d found the cause on the web:

“A widespread software bug introduced by a recent infotainment update is causing the native map and navigation buttons to fail on 2025 Genesis G70 models.”

Tired of waiting for the corrected SW to be automatically downloaded, I called my Genesis dealer to ask when that would happen. And got this bad news: the SW bug causes a physical part failure. Damnit.

The dealer said that I’d have to take my car in so that they could get some “numbers”. I told them I could provide the VIN. But no, they need “other” numbers before they can order the part. After it arrives I have to take my car in again so that they can install it. Why don’t the bastards have the part in stock?

So. Because of their blunder I have take my car to the dealer not once, but twice. Grr…

You can’t believe how happy I’ll be when my Tesla Model 3 Premium arrives. Not too long, now. Then it’s: “fuck off, Genesis”.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Does Apple CarPlay or Android Auto still work, or had the whole screen died?
 
Posts: 5456 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^
The screen still works. I’ve been trying to get Apple CarPlay working following many AI-generated instructions. None worked.

I finally figured out the reason: my car doesn’t emit a Wi-Fi signal. And the reason for that is that I don’t have Genesis Connected Services.

Considering the troubles that their fucked up download has cost me I’m going to see if Genesis will give me a month of free Connected Services.

By then my Tesla ought to have arrived and I’ll be done with Genesis.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You absolutely should not need connect services or a subscription to use CarPlay/android auto.

Pair your phone via Bluetooth and it should prompt you to connect to CarPlay. You may have to enable CarPlay in on of your cars menus. On the the off chance your car doesn’t do wireless CarPlay plug it in to the specific port designated for this. If wired is all the car offers there are many inexpensive dongles to covert to wireless.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8783 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You absolutely should not need connect services or a subscription to use CarPlay/android auto.
<snip>

Thanks for the reply Chris. But having spent many hours on this problem, I can say with certainty that my Genesis G70 does need Genesis Connected Services (GCS hereafter) to support CarPlay. Maybe different with other car brands.

CarPlay requires TWO connections between my iPhone and my G70: Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi. The Bluetooth connection is there, but my G70 doesn’t support Wi-Fi – because I don’t have GCS.

Since Genesis’s faulty over the air update smoked my G70’s navigation system, I figured that they ought to grant me a month of free GCS in compensation. I called Genesis CS to make that request. After a LOT of conversation I learned that GCS is SUPPOSED to be freely available to me for as long as I own my G70. But it isn’t.

Genesis CS blamed Verizon (who provides the cell signal for GCS) for that problem. I asked Genesis CS to straighten out Verizon for me, but noooo. It’s my job to get Verizon straightened out. What fun that’ll be.

I’ll be soooo happy when my Tesla Model 3 arrives and I can be shot of Genesis.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the wired connection?


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8783 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Cell Phone as a Wi-Fi 'Hot Spot'?


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I’m not optimistic but I’ll try it.
Thanks for the suggestion.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind there is usually a designated port for wired connection. It’s not generally just any of the USB ports.

If that works it’s like a $50 part to convert to wireless.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8783 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DG..._fed_asin_title&th=1

This worked like a charm when I could not connect wirelessly to a Mazda CX-70 PHEV,
 
Posts: 6111 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Keep in mind there is usually a designated port for wired connection. It’s not generally just any of the USB ports.


Yep. After my A4 had wired CarPlay, there is no way I will ever go back to factory anything even if I have to use a cable. It's also one of the reasons I'll never own a Tesla along with only one screen in the entire car controlling everything including the speedometer.
 
Posts: 5456 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think that there’s a good chance I can get “Genesis Connected Services” working on my G70 within a day or two. Then CarPlay ought to work.

That’ll hold me until the replacement parts arrive at my Genesis dealer. Genesis fried ‘em, Genesis can fix ‘em.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
After the bad Genesis G70 software download smoked a component in the car’s navigation system, I’ve spent HOURS trying to make CarPlay work, with no success.

I’ve finally figured out part of the problem. I’ve painfully learned that I have to use a USB cable to connect the car to my iPhone – no Wi-Fi support. There are two USB jacks in the console of my car: USB-A and USB-C. But, by God, only the 20th century USB-A jack supports data transfer. Do I have a cable with a USB-A plug on one end and a USB-C plug on the other? Fuck no. And if I bought one I’d soon discover yet another gotcha.

Screw CarPlay on this damned Genesis. I’ve discovered a good alternative. I launch Apple Maps on my iPhone. It has a Bluetooth connection to the car’s speaker system and provides excellent turn-by-turn directions:
”keep in the two left lanes”
”go through this light and turn left at the next”
Etc …

Even when the navigation system was working I relied mostly on its audible driving instructions so Apple Maps is nearly as good.

I’ll be sooo happy to be out of the Genesis and in the Tesla.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The peculiar, but happy, end of my saga. A brief recap:

Two or three weeks ago the Maps and Navigation facilities of my 2025 Genesis G70 suddenly quit working. The web said that was caused by a faulty automatic over-the-air software update. Further, the web said that the bad update also smoked components in that system.

My Genesis dealer confirmed that. They said that I’d have to bring my car in twice. First, to “get some numbers” so that they could order replacement parts. Second, to get the new parts installed after they arrived.

The first trip was several days ago.

This morning I drove to my grocery. When I turned off the car a notice on its infotainment screen offered a software update. I accepted, but assumed that it wouldn’t help the Maps and Navigation problem.

But, by God, it completely fixed both facilities! Will wonders never cease. I’m not going to tell my dealer. He’s caused me enough trouble - he can deal with those now-unneeded parts himself when they arrive.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple CarPlay and my Genesis G70 sports sedan **update, page 3, problem resolved**

© SIGforum 2026