SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I finally found a DIY ceramic coating that works...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally found a DIY ceramic coating that works... Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
For you guys that like to keep your rides clean, I have a solution for you. I have tried a few different brands of ceramic waxes and washed and none of them work well. I noticed Meguiars offered a DIY ceramic coating so I tried it on my 2021 Black Tacoma and thought I would share my experience.

I have used different waxes in order to try and keep bugs from sticking to my paint and until now have not found anything suitable. My drive to work is through a rural area so there are numerous bugs and I like to keep them off my paint.

So I tried Meguiars Hybrid paint coating after using a clay bar on my paint. My truck is only a couple months old so there was not much prep needed. Here is the coating: coating

It took about an hour to apply, I put it on the plastic and chrome too. I would suggest having extra microfiber towels on hand even though it comes with two. It has a spray bottle of prep that readies the surface for the coating. It went off an on easily. The coating is in an aerosol can and it applies easily too.

This past week we had a hurricane and I drove through a bunch of mud and other debris so the truck was pretty dirty. This is not required, but after seeing a review I bought their wash and wash mitt designed for this coating, see below. I used it this morning to wash the truck.

First off, the beading is great but it's only been a week. The best thing is that I had no bugs stuck to the front of my truck. They were on the windshield but nothing on the front. That alone makes it worth it to me. I usually have to use bug and tar remover and scrub to get them off. I have never found anything that kept them off until now. Even multiple layers of was never worked.

Washing was extremely easy, the Meguiars wash has an oily feeling but the mitt worked better than the others I usually use. Drying the truck was extremely easy too, due to the beading it dried quickly.

You can pick this DIY ceramic coating from Advance Auto parts for about $50. There is enough that I am going to coat my 4Runner after some paint correction. When I bought my Tacoma I got an estimate for a pro to ceramic coat it and he wanted $1600. This stuff is supposed to last a year and for $50 a year it is the best money I have spent on detail products (and I have used a lot over the years). Even if it only lasts 6 months I will gladly do this every 6 months for the bug protection alone. I have zero affiliation with Meguiars but I think there are those here who would use this so I thought I would share. Here are the other two products I used:

wash

mitt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrvmax,

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not speaking of this coating I thought it was interesting these type of coatings (ceramic) are being used by woodworkers.
I watch a couple channels where they make an nice table top and instead of no finish or just a wax they use one of these (one most likely marketed to woodworkers) with outstanding results.
Not just for cars.
Sorry for the drift.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Meguiars Ultimate wax with very good results.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Very interesting product. I just bought a 2021 Toyota Highlander in a near-black finish. I haven't had a chance to clay it or wax it. I will give this a try. Thanks

Ordered mine today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been wanting to try one of these just not had the time.

For a short term use I have had very good luck with Griot’s Ceramic 3n1
https://www.griotsgarage.com/p.../ceramic+3in1+wax.do

We have tons of bugs and my wife’s Suburban really shows them so looking forward to retrying this product.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Griot's 3-in-1 wax for quite some time. I was not impressed that my wife's car had water spotting on it after I put down a new layer of it. I had to use a more aggressive product to remove the water spots and I didn't quite get them all.
I'm on the look out for something else!

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've really liked their hybrid ceramic wax on my truck and fiberglass boat. I'd almost say it works too well on the boat. I wipe down after pulling it out of the water and usually there is enough water still on the hull that I can remove the scum line/dirt from being out on the water. With this stuff the boat is dry before I am even 1/4 done. I then have to use a detailing spray to get rid of the remaining water spots etc. Pretty impressive stuff.

I'm writing to Meguiar's to see if the stuff you recommend is gelcoat safe. Thanks!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Most of my car products are Meguiars or 303. My current topper is Gyeon Q2 wax. I don’t know what brand ceramic coating was done on my car. I just know my guy spent too many extra hours on paint correction since the last owner neglected it. Once my Q2 deodorant stick wears out I will try the Meguiars.

I didn’t like Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray topper. It seemed to attract pollen.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Turtle Wax's ceramic spray on wax and for a spray on wipe off product its been pretty impressive. You get a good shine and it lasts much longer than any type of wax I've used in the past.
I remember back when paste waxes were all you had to choose from. It was a lot of labor and they didn't last half as long as most of the spray on waxes do now.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

We have tons of bugs and my wife’s Suburban really shows them so looking forward to retrying this product.

I used and still have a new bottle or two of that same Griots product. This is light years better, I was skeptical of the Meguiars but it did what it claimed.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
There are a number of these spray on products available today that are quite good. However, they aren't really a true ceramic like the real ceramic coatings that are finicky to apply and last for a year or more. Simple rule of thumb, anything sprayable and/or easy to apply is going to need to be renewed every X number of months (depending on exposure) to look and function at its best.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
There are a number of these spray on products available today that are quite good. However, they aren't really a true ceramic like the real ceramic coatings that are finicky to apply and last for a year or more. Simple rule of thumb, anything sprayable and/or easy to apply is going to need to be renewed every X number of months (depending on exposure) to look and function at its best.

Have you used it? If not then you may be confused with some of the other spray on stuff. This is just like the ceramic coatings you can buy. Paint prep is the most time consuming part with the ceramic coating. Is this exactly like a pro detailer would use? Probably not but it is most likely the closest the DIY guy will use and it does work.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Fla we had love bugs ….they’re the worst. Tried everything, nothing worked to keep em from ruining your paint. A friend used to spray Pam on his car during lovebug season….surprisingly it works and keeps the dead bugs from sticking…but your car looks like someone sprayed it with Pam….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post & feedback. Living in FLA one concern of mine is UV protection. I have not found a ceramic with UV protection...but, I found this HERE and it works great...easy on easy off. And- you can use it on a ceramic finish. Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I had a professional do a Kenzo ceramic on a new black BMW. It worked great. I have had it for about 7 moths with no issues.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I too am a fan of this product. I use it on my Corvette all the time. In fact I have not been disappointed by any Griots product I have tried. All good stuff.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2769 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With parking in the driveway, since the Rotus took my spot, I've thought about it.

Currently use Meguiars Gold wash & quick wax (spray). Chemical Guys quick detail when I need an easy wash & can get the car in the garage, followed by the quick wax.

Water beads up well & seems to stay a bit cleaner.

At the of the day, its an almost 10 year old Malibu, but it's GMs Red Jewel paint, so it does look great in the sun when nice & clean.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Have you used it?
Not this particular product, but I am very familiar with it given my long love affair with auto detailing.
quote:
This is just like the ceramic coatings you can buy.
The spray ceramics 'yes', but it is not the equivalent of the pro ceramic products, many of which cost $100+ and are nightmares to apply properly.
quote:
Paint prep is the most time consuming part with the ceramic coating.
My friend, I've spent 14 hours with a couple different buffers, as well as hand polishing, to perfect a vehicle finish for final coating. Trust me, I am well away of the time and effort required to prep a vehicle finish for top coating.
quote:
Is this exactly like a pro detailer would use? Probably not but it is most likely the closest the DIY guy will use and it does work.
As I noted, I'm sure it will work and likely do a good job for you. My comment was simply to remind you and everyone else that if a ceramic product advertises easy application, don't expect a year's worth of durability and shine. Not everyone has days to commit to surface prep or the coin to pay a pro detailer to do it for them, so products like this Meguiar's coating are developed to fill that niche.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Avalon King gets a lot of mention on a couple YouTube channels I follow.

Their product looks to be a fair bit of work to apply & I can see why detail shops charge what they do for the service.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up Scott HD on YouTube…he does some pretty impressive longevity tests on a wide variety of products. The quality that some companies state might surprise you.

We had our 2020 Mustang GT convertible SPS graphene coated by a professional shop and it was honestly worth every penny.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post