SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I finally found a DIY ceramic coating that works...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally found a DIY ceramic coating that works... Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm getting intrigued by all these new coatings. Thanks for the heads up, I've got a new 4Runner coming any day, I may give this a try. I'm looking at another product, too, might try that on my Jeep.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Here is a video just released after testing a bunch of these products for one year:

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I've posted on here before about Turtle Wax. I started with the Seal & Shine, and have moved to the Hybrid Ceramic. I did my main vehicle a couple months back with 2 coats of the Ceramic and then topped it with the Seal & Shine to see if the carnauba wax would make a noticeable difference in the overall shine. I didn't notice a difference to justify the extra elbow grease for the Seal & Shine (it takes more effort to buff after spraying on compared to the Ceramic).

But overall, I'm quite pleased with the TW Hybrid Ceramic. I think I've seen more than 6 months. This last spring, I was still seeing good results for vehicles I had done in the preceding fall with at least two coats.

It's fast and easy to apply, and they have a specific wash that works with it as well, which probably helps with its performance if you use it. So it's more of a system than just a 'coating.'

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's a suggestion for another approach to dealing with the finish on your vehicle. This is the approach I take to the finish on my 20 year old daily driver Ford truck.

My truck gets a twice a year complete detail (i.e. clean, full surface correction, and sealant), so everything in between is simply maintenance. As such, I have a basic set of goals (in order) for those in between washes I seek to accomplish.

1 - I want the surface of the vehicle (paint, glass, and exterior mouldings, to be as slick as possible with the goal of preventing contaminants from sticking to the surface.
2 - I want whatever I use to provide a high gloss shine with decent durability.
3 - I want whatever I use to be as easy/simply to use as possible.
4 - I want whatever I use to be inexpensive so I can use it frequently.

Ok, with all that out of the way, here's the deal. I wash my truck every month or two and while its still wet, I cover it in P&S Bead Maker, and towel it dry with a few good microfiber towels.

This stuff works as an additional drying aid, and will lay down a polymer coat across whatever its applied to. If you wash your vehicle more often than I do, Bead Maker will also layer on the surface providing additional durability. As noted in the video, it has a cure time of about 8 hours during which you do not want the vehicle to get wet, so plan accordingly. I thought this cure time deal was nonsense until I used this product the first time. After the cure time, the surface does indeed get much slicker and shinier. So basically, wash and surface correct your vehicle, then apply your favorite wax, sealant, or ceramic the first time. Then every time you wash your vehicle going forward, hit it with a good coat of Bead Maker while its still wet and dry is down with a few good microfibers towels. I think you'll be amazed at how easily water beads and runs off the surface and how contaminants don't seem to want to adhere to the surface. P&S Bead Maker is available all over, so its easy to come by.

(***Full Disclaimer: I have no interest in P&S Bead Maker other than as a customer.)

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I've been using Turtle Wax's ceramic spray on wax and for a spray on wipe off product its been pretty impressive. You get a good shine and it lasts much longer than any type of wax I've used in the past.
I remember back when paste waxes were all you had to choose from. It was a lot of labor and they didn't last half as long as most of the spray on waxes do now.
+1 realized I waxed my truck a year ago with this stuff. Washed and dried it last week then of course it rained. Rain beaded like it was just waxed.

Without breaking the bank or a sweat this is a game changer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Deal, have you tried Extreme Solutions’ Topper? I have not tried it but it’s on my radar (need to use up what I have on hand first). From what I’ve read, it equals Beadmaker on slickness, gloss, and ease of use but beats it on durability and resistance to dust.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Big Deal, have you tried Extreme Solutions’ Topper? I have not tried it but it’s on my radar (need to use up what I have on hand first). From what I’ve read, it equals Beadmaker on slickness, gloss, and ease of use but beats it on durability and resistance to dust.
I haven't personally used it (yet), but I have read a bit about it and watched some YouTube review videos. My bet, its very similar to Bead Maker given it applies the same way and is even about the same price. Bead Maker has done a great job at meeting my needs, so I've been slow to move away from it. I think all of these topper products are terrific in that you don't have to be careful what you get them on. Real ceramics, not so much.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been following bigdeal's advice without knowing it.
I purchased a gallon of the P&S Beadmaker (no affiliation with the company) about a year ago and have been using it usually every time after I wash my car.
I can use this on both of our cars and I'm not wiped out physically.
It might not last the longest, but it is adding another sacrificial layer to the elements, IMO.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think the ceramic coatings would keep dust filled up off rims? I live on gravel and I tried two different kinds of rims and no matter what depending on weather conditions every three to four weeks I got to clean my rims or otherwise they spin out of balance.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
Do you think the ceramic coatings would keep dust filled up off rims? I live on gravel and I tried two different kinds of rims and no matter what depending on weather conditions every three to four weeks I got to clean my rims or otherwise they spin out of balance.

Not sure, if it's so much that it's affecting the balance of the wheels.
It should help though, I've read it does a good job making brake dust easier to clean.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought this product last week and applied it to my new Toyota Highlander which is Opulent Amber (near black). So far, I'm very impressed. It was very easy to apply and buff off. I need to keep it dry for a week so it is just sitting in my garage. I'd be very happy if it lasts for at least 6 months and isn't a dust magnet like traditional wax. Time will tell.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
Try Collinite 845 to seal the paint after you clay bar, correct and wax. In my opinion, it's the BEST! I've never used anything that gets the paint to look as deep and protects as well. It generally lasts for about 5-6 months if you garage your car, about 3-4 if you don't.

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 564 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
Try Collinite 845 to seal the paint after you clay bar, correct and wax. In my opinion, it's the BEST! I've never used anything that gets the paint to look as deep and protects as well. It generally lasts for about 5-6 months if you garage your car, about 3-4 if you don't.
Try this. Wash, clay, correct, add 845, then finish with Beadmaker. I bet you'll be shocked at how slick the surface will be after a few hours of cure time. And the next time you wash, spray on some Beadmaker while the car is still wet and dry with a good microfiber (waffle weave is my preferred option). The car will dry quicker, and you'll maintain that super slick surface that neither water or other contaminants like to stick to.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try this. Wash, clay, correct,

What are you using for car wash, I have the soap sud gun from AutoGeek, looking for a good super sudsy wash product.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Try this. Wash, clay, correct,

What are you using for car wash, I have the soap sud gun from AutoGeek, looking for a good super sudsy wash product.
If simply washing by hand, then Meguiars Gold Class or Meguiars Wash and Wax are great options that are both inexpensive and available everywhere. Just use a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket and keep an eye on how dirty the water is getting. If it starts to look ugly, empty the bucket, rinse it out, and refill with new soap and water. I usually go through three buckets of soap when doing a complete wash on my F150. If I opt to break out my foam cannon and pressure washer, I've found nothing better than Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam. Stuff offers unbelievable suds that are super slick.

Also for those 'frugal' folks (yes, I'm one of those people), you can use a few drops of Gold Class or Wash and Wax in a spray bottle with water as clay lube. Just mix, shake, and spray. Since I'm always fearful of scratches, I wash and rinse the vehicle, then clay it while its still wet, and finish with a quick wash and rinse before drying. Like I've mentioned before, my OCD drives me when it comes to detailing. Smile

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What foam cannon do you use, I have one from Autogeek and it's on it's last legs, connected mine to the garden hose, vs dragging out the pressure washer.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
What foam cannon do you use, I have one from Autogeek and it's on it's last legs, connected mine to the garden hose, vs dragging out the pressure washer.
I don't even remember. It's ancient at this point. I think I bought it from Autogeek. It really only works with the pressure washer as the hose just doesn't put out enough pressure to create the amount of foam I want.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I don't even remember. It's ancient at this point. I think I bought it from Autogeek. It really only works with the pressure washer as the hose just doesn't put out enough pressure to create the amount of foam I want.

The one I got from AutoGeek is failing, won't put out any or much suds at all, looking at buying a new one. Found this one on Amazon, looks the same as Chemical Guys ACC_326 but it's not $43.

Link

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
When I lived in Fla we had love bugs ….they’re the worst. Tried everything, nothing worked to keep em from ruining your paint. A friend used to spray Pam on his car during lovebug season….surprisingly it works and keeps the dead bugs from sticking…but your car looks like someone sprayed it with Pam….

And here in Texas you could cook breakfast on your hood.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by FLKev:
Try this. Wash, clay, correct, add 845, then finish with Beadmaker. I bet you'll be shocked at how slick the surface will be after a few hours of cure time. And the next time you wash, spray on some Beadmaker while the car is still wet and dry with a good microfiber (waffle weave is my preferred option). The car will dry quicker, and you'll maintain that super slick surface that neither water or other contaminants like to stick to.

I just ordered Beadmaker. I will give this a try THANKS!

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 564 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post