SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KARMA for the Viet Nam vets - ** P228 ** --->>>Winner = Johnny 3eagles<<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KARMA for the Viet Nam vets - ** P228 ** --->>>Winner = Johnny 3eagles<<< Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don’t post often but have been a member a long time. Learn so much about so many subjects on this forum. Anyway please add me to your generous karma. In country oct. 27 1970 ,stayed for one year and six days.Most of my vacation was in and around Dong Ha and three months in the hills of Khe Sahn. Again thank you for thinking about the vets,the ones who came home and the ones who gave all

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Please include me. I have several uncles who are Vietnam Vets.

Thanks

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a vet, so not in, but Thanks for your kindness.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
First of all, thank you to all of those represented here who served in Vietnam. I post here not because I served but rather for my late father-in-law. He served in Vietnam in the mid-60s, but the family knows next to nothing about his time there.

When Pops came home from the war, he was cussed out by protesters at the airport. Before discharge, he was asked to travel around the state to give talks to social clubs, Rotaries, Chamber groups, etc. about his time Vietnam, in order to build support for the war effort. His presentation involved a slide collection of pictures taken with his unit and comrades. This was prior to him getting married and having kids, so my wife and M-I-L are unfamiliar with any stories he shared then. The war was never discussed within the household, outside of brief mentions of him losing a friend and describing certain aspects of the culture.

He later went on serve his community and state in many other important ways, and was self-employed for the entirety of his life. I came to know him pretty well in the years prior to marrying into the family, as he had no sons. The only thing he ever told me about his service was describing a time when he received a battlefield promotion and was insecure about leading his men. Someone of rank had apparently been killed, and Pops wasn't sure he was prepared to take over but had to find a way. I've thought about that example many times in my own professional career when needing to just suck it up.

He was diagnosed with renal cancer in the late 90s and died within 18 months, just like several others in his unit...undoubtedly the result of exposure to agent orange. Sometime during his cancer treatment he set fire to the 30 yr old collection of Vietnam slides. He gave no explanation, but we continue as best we can to honor his memories. His grandchildren now revere a man they never met, and I have taken them each to the Wall to find his buddy's name. Last fall, I was scanning some old vacation slides from my wife's childhood and stumbled onto a half dozen of his Vietnam slides that he must of missed, including those used here. One of them appears to show his promotion:

RIP Pops

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I missed the Vietnam era by months. A number of my family members spent their time there.

Uncle Steve was on the carrier USS Bon Homme Richard (Aviation Anti-submarine warfare), Uncle Kenneth was Army Green Beret and Cousin Paul was Army in early Vietnam involvement, among others.

Thank you for your continued kindness and generosity- please include me.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
I'm very late to this Karma, but would love to be included.
Served 1969-1970 in the Highlands and other locations with the Seventh of the Seventeenth Air Cav. 7/17

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Thanks for Karma...Please include me for my Uncle. 9 years Navy, 2 tours in Vietnam. Was on the the USS Orleck, one of the war's most decorated ships. I will gift to him if chosen.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My father in law was a Viet Nam vet but I don't think that qualifies me for this but I still have a couple of stories.

He was an artilleryman during the war. He asked me one time what the current hazard duty pay was and told me it was something ridiculously low like $16 a month or something like that.

When I was a younger man, I worked with a Viet Nam vet at Home Depot. He had lost a hand and an eye there. He was a great guy who always went out of his way to help. I was short $1 once for lunch and asked him to loan it to me. I went to pay him back the following day and he said to help someone else who needs help instead of paying him back.

I am a firm believer that the Viet Nam vets, with the way they were treated after coming home, is one of the biggest reasons why the GWOT vets are treated so well.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad was in Vietnam as a LRRP, please enter me in for this, thanks.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle is a Viet Nam vet. Thank you!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
*** Winner = Johnny 3eagles *** Congratulations!

Thank you all who served.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, J3E! And thanks again for doing this, Q! You are an incredibly generous man.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Johnny 3eagles.
And thank you and all who served.
Glad you made it home safe, sounds like you were in the rough side of town.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is amazing, and I must say, I am very lucky and THANK YOU for the outstanding Karma.

It was my honor and privilege to have served two tours in Vietnam. I was able to witness the good that the Civic Action Program did for some of the remote villages, providing fresh running water, electric power and health care and rebuilding schools that the communists destroyed. Vietnamese teachers put their lives in jeopardy just for trying to provide an education for the children. We were often tasked with securing the sites.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Johnny 3eagles and thank you for your service!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Congrats Johnny, I won one a year ago. Our benefactor is very generous.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
Way to go Johnny, great thread and I hope it keeps going.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Johnny 3eagles and another thank you to Q for the great Karma

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Johnny 3eagles enjoy your fine weapon.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Johnny!

Enjoy your P228. I too, received one of these fine pistols from our generous friend, in a karma for veterans. I was not in the Navy during Viet Nam, I served at a different time.

I often wonder what my life would be like now, if I had chosen a military career, instead of doing just four years USN plus two years USNR.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post