SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KARMA for the Viet Nam vets - ** P228 ** --->>>Winner = Johnny 3eagles<<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KARMA for the Viet Nam vets - ** P228 ** --->>>Winner = Johnny 3eagles<<< Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'd like to enter for my dad. He was Navy and spent a lot of time in Vietnam.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ll enter for my dad, he was US Air Force and spent most of the war directing ordinance to airframes and targets.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
One year in country. 1965-1966.

Soc Trang and Dalat. I can always use a SIG.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My Dad served in the Air Force during the Vietnam war but to my knowledge he never served overseas. He was an ordinance handler for a Strategic Air Command B-58 Hustler. He told me a story once about when they were ordered to travel to an off base storage area for nuclear weapons to retrieve a bomb and return it to base. He said they were issued pistols but no ammo.

My Uncle served in the Navy and we've spoken serveral times about his time in Vietnam. Below is a picture of my Uncle (far left) and some of his Navy buddies. I'm told it was taken in Hawaii.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Q, I would be honored to enter this Karma.

I served in the Republic of Vietnam on 2 occasions.

I was born in Pennsylvania, raised in Arizona and grew up in in Vietnam in 1966!

1965 - 1967: Scout Platoon, 2nd Battalion 2nd Infantry, 1st Infantry Division (Lai Khe)

We were initially armed with the M14 rifle. Then we got issued the M16 with the 3 prong flash hider, which got caught on every vine in the jungles (also referred to as Wait-a-minute vines)

1970-1971: Scout Platoon, 1st Battalion 77th Armor, 1st Brigade, 77th Armor (Quang Tri Provence)

Sucked being this far north, as the NVA could hit us with the modified 122mm rockets from within North Vietnam and the US Forces were prohibited from firing across the DMZ)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I would love to put my dad's name in for this very generous karma. He served with the Army's 4th ID (I believe) as an enlisted supply guy in a mobile artillery unit, in country 1969-70. 2 Bronze Stars for sure, a few other awards I can't remember off the top of my head.

I grew up hearing stories of "midnight requisitions" for vehicle parts, etc when red tape would prevent said parts from reaching their bases (what we would now call a COP). Wild times, from the sound of it.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Please put me in Q.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three of my dad’s brothers went to Vietnam Nam and saw combat. One of them was about 5’6 and 130 lbs. He was sent down into the tunnels several times. His fourth brother was killed in a training accident in the states, right before he was to be shipped out. Thanks for more of you’re generosity.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3531 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very generous! I am a Vietnam era Vet. USAF SAC Security Police. My war was cold. I would love a 228. Thanks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this opportunity.

HMM-165 (72-73) on the USS New Orleans and USS Tripoli. Spent most of our time up around Quang Tri and ended my tour trying to blow up mines that were dropped in early 1972 in and around Haiphong Harbor.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredibly generous, thank you for the chance!

Please count me in for my dad - 1969, medic out of Phu Cat.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Vietnam vet, so I'll pass on the Karma.

I worked with two guys in Corrections who did two tours in Vietnam. One, my training Sergeant, had facial scars from combat. The last words I heard about him, he retired and drank himself to death.

The other was a tunnel rat who did two tours and came back unscratched. One day he worked a double shift at SCI Camp Hill and fell asleep while driving home, went off the road into a tree.

A good friend and riding chum was in the Air force in Vietnam and monitored the aircraft transmissions of B52's on bombing runs as they evaded SAMS. He said he still had trouble sleeping.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I will proudly join this generous karma in honor of my late father. Dad served in Vietnam in 1968. Watching the nightly news showing the Tet Offensive is still etched in my mind. He made it home safely that December and continued to serve in the U.S. Army for many years after that.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Please add me.
My favorite Uncle served in Vietnam.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two(2) US paid "vacations" there, so please include me, and thank you for the karma.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few uncles.

My uncle Jim was in the 11th Armored Cav B Troop in country 70-71. Rank SP4

My uncle Leroy was in the Marine Corp, but don't know much detail.

My step uncle Gary was in the Navy and worked on aircraft. IIRC he was on the Constellation in the Gulf of Tonkin some.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My wife's brother served in Vietnam in the Army, but was killed in an accident well after that and is no longer with us. His last rank was sergeant, but I don't know his rank when he was there. Unfortunately, I didn't know him well.

Her Dad retired from the Air Force just as the war in Vietnam was heating up. He was over twenty years in the service by that time, but also figured two shooting wars was enough for him. He flew in Europe in WWII and in Korea in early jets. He was might have also been shot at during the Cold War as he flew U2s, but he never talked about that.

My Great-Uncle served during the war, but not in Vietnam. He was a Petty Officer on subs for his whole Navy career - from the '50s until the late '70s. He liked to joke that he crossed the Atlantic many times, but never saw it.

My dad is a Marine, and served in the late '50s, but was out before they sent men to Vietnam. He never rose beyond the rank of PFC, having entered under a program that had him serve active duty for just a short time, with a very long reserve period. Still, by the time he Vietnam heated up, he was almost 30, and not called back.

Thanks for the chance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Q you never cease to AMAZE. I had ( 2 ) older brother's that served in Viet Nam. Thier names were Michael and George Carter. They were identical twins, both Calvery. In a span of three months George was shipped to Korea ...... assigned to demilitarized zone. I think there was an issue with having twin brothers in Nam at the same time. I could be wrong as to why George was reassigned. Neither came back the way we sent them in. Thats a story for another day. Again, thank you Q.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pickle Rick,

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opportunity! RIP Larry (aka dad)

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be included but I have to be honest and say I was never in NAM. I was a drill in 68-74 but never left the states. Thanks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post