SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1984 Celica Supra...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1984 Celica Supra... Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted
Bidding on one on Bring a Trailer.

The thing is immaculate - only 27K miles.

I always wanted one of these when I was in high school.

It's a Toyota so probably good but anyone have one of these and know of any problems?

The auction...

https://bringatrailer.com/list...yota-celica-supra-8/

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That brings back some memories... My first car was a mid-1980s red Celica GT (not a Supra, though).

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The profile always reminded me of the DeLorean. Pretty cars and that one looks brand new. Good luck!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I too, owned an 80s Celica GT. I was stationed at Yokota AB, Japan so the steering wheel was on the right. Mine was charcoal grey, with red and gold “GT” stripes.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Always thought they were sexy

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had an 86 Supra, white with dark red leather interior, loaded, drove it across country to CA and back, lived there a while.

Never had an issue with it, got bored and sold it a few years later, which was SOP for me and cars.

Nice looking vehicle.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Had an 86 Supra
Was it this body, or an 86 1/2 which was the bigger, heavier one with the targa roof option that came next?

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too owned Celicas in the early '80s. Had two of them. They were great cars!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a beautiful car! I hope that you end up with it.

I looked at the specs. I'm not a big Toyota guy myself, but it said it had a 5M-GE engine in it. What I do know is that Toyota used that engine from the mid 60's till the early 90's. If it had any true problems I don't think that they would have used it for that long.

I do know, if neglected they tend to burn oil, but that kind of common in older Toyotas, and some coolant system problems if you neglect them.

I had two neighbors that had that era Toyota Celica Supra. I have always thought that they were "cool looking " cars.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Nice. I had an ‘82 Supra when I was in high school. It was not in as nice condition as this one appears to be. The only “issue” I had with mine was having to replace the clutch...I’m not sure if the problem was a result of the shade-tree mechanic repair job, or the high school kid who drove the car Wink

I foolishly traded it in for an ‘86. IROC Z-28 Camaro. I miss the old Supra still.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A car I wanted back when. But wouldn't pay $22K+ for it now.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I paid $800 for mine in 1994. The clear coat was failing, but everything else was in respectable shape.....except for that clutch.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They were around $17,000 back then.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Memories for me, also.

My first car was a brand new '76 Celica GT. I loved that car.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I remember those models, I went to college in the fall of '86 and remember seeing some of those in the parking lots.
I always thought how nice it must have been to have a nice car like those in college.

Looks like brand new! Enjoy it!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My first car was a used '74 Celica GT 5sp. Had a lot of fun with that car. Drove it down BAJA in 1981. Not as much fun as my dad's '67 GTO that I learned how to drive in.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect someone invented a time machine and they're importing cars from the past. I'm fascinated by older cars that have been kept in mint condition. This is one of the best I've seen. Cars from the eighties were so angular, especially the interiors. As a teenager back then I wanted one of these really bad, thanks for sharing.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
An older Celica was restored on a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers. Check it out if you can find it. They did a nice job.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had a 79 Celica GT great, but slow, car it was

almost traded it on a new 84 Celica GT , the coupe, not liftback, but could not swing the payments at the time,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm fascinated by older cars that have been kept in mint condition.

It happens occasionally.

Years ago we had a local Chevy dealer that had been in business for many years. Each year he took one example of each model and stored them in a large building he owned. Also once a year he would send a team of mechanics down to go over them and keep them in good operating condition.

At some point the entire collection was auctioned off, but almost all of them were showroom new.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post