SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A video of a dog attack on a postal worker in Detroit. If you had a gun on you would you have used it?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A video of a dog attack on a postal worker in Detroit. If you had a gun on you would you have used it? Login/Join 
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
Postal workers are armed with watered down pepper spray, at least we were in the Northeast. All it does is piss the dog off Roll Eyes

When I was a young buck, I worked at a kennel. I was walking a husky, and a Pit got loose and went right for the huskys neck. 3 of us teed off on that MFs head and belly for 5 minutes with steeltoes while pouring ice cold water on it. When my manager went in to get his 45, we timed a bucket and gut kick just right making the pit readjust and the husky put his canine tooth through the center of that bastards eyeball. That was satisfying as hell.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I would shoot to kill that dog. With being on the ground like that it would only take a second for that dog to change his grip to your neck.

I can’t imagine being a postman and not carrying full strength mace at the very least.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Luckily it was caught video. Otherwise it would be the pit lovers crying that the dog dint doo nuffin. I have been there and can tell you that if you want to survive, let the lead fly!

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Letter Carriers can't carry firearms, and the dog spray we get is PETA compliant.

From what I have heard, the carrier will make a full recovery, and his injuries aren't as bad as one would expect.

If you've never been on the receiving end of a dog attack, it happens a lot faster than you can expect. The "21 foot rule" for humans is about 70 feet for dogs, that's how fast they can close the gap. And they play for keeps.

My rule of thumb, is I don't mess with dogs. Period. I'm lucky I've been on my route long enough, I know the asshole dogs and owners. If I get stuck doing overtime, and see a dog in a yard (leash or not), behind a storm door, or I just don't feel comfortable, I don't deliver their mail. I've tried to ask politely, but it almost turns into an argument. So now I just walk on by. If the customer asks if they have mail, I just say NOPE, and keep on walking. I annotate their mail as "DOG" with the date and time. If the dog is off the leash, and exits the yard, I give the owner one verbal warning to get their dog, and then I spray it. At that point the owner has lost control of their dog, and dog spray wears off after an hour or two. Dog bites, stitches, time off work, and lawsuits take a lot longer.

Early on when I first started as a carrier, I saw a college aged girl getting mauled by 2 dogs. After the fact, one of the dogs was actually her dog, and trying to protect her. The owner of the other dog, an Akita, knew her dog was aggressive, and would walk it while she carried a baseball bat. I'm guessing the whole situation took maybe a minute, but after spraying both dogs, and beating the Akita in the head with the baseball bat several times, I was finally able to get the dog to release her. The girls arm looked like 2lbs of ground meat. I was able to get her in my truck, and call 911. She lost a lot of blood, and was going into shock.

I've said this numerous times on this forum, a dog acts completely different when the owner is not around. Dogs are territorial, some don't want people in their territory at all.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
As much as I love dogs, I would have to agree with most of the posts, shoot/kill the dog. He was totally out of control and dangerous !

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Postal workers should be issued tasers if not allowed a firearm. Maybe a taser would stop an attack, maybe.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post