New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lathe Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted
I put this new Mazak in a couple weeks ago. I’ve got adapters designed but have not yet made to get thru barrel coolant going. Looking forward to moving some barrel work to it from the Hardinge seen in the background. I’ve done many hundreds of barrels now on it but it can’t hold a candle to CNC for work that allows. I’ve got two other Mazaks, (vertical and horizontal mills), so going Mazak for this lathe made most sense. I’m tickled with it so far and wanted to share.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Very nice. A little jelly here

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That's a sweet rig!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6188 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
A view inside. I plan on doing spec barrels on it first. Prefits like RimX. I think I’m going to do a macro program later for the custom stuff. Like enter measurements from the receiver into variables to use in the program. Until then I’ll still do the custom work on the Hardinge.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Whoa that's a serious lathe! I clicked on expecting to see a basic hobby wood lathe.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7038 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Wow that is nice,you deserve it.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m nowhere near the level to use CNC, but I’m super jealous of that Hardinge.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Was just hoping to see a nice old South Bend. Wow!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

Posts: 9000 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Would love to see it in action. I get to Boone once in a while, maybe I can find your shop.
My machines are all older than I am. South bend and Bridgeport. CNC is a bit deeper than I wish to go.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I’m nowhere near the level to use CNC, but I’m super jealous of that Hardinge.

It’s served me well. For what it is it’s hard to beat an HLV-H. Threading on it is super easy for a manual. I’ve got this one fully set up for barrel work and is all I do on it.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Nice. Would love to see it in action. I get to Boone once in a while, maybe I can find your shop.
My machines are all older than I am. South bend and Bridgeport. CNC is a bit deeper than I wish to go.

I’m near Charlotte. You’re welcome to come by if you’re ever in the area.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece!

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Nice lathe. We have a couple of old Hardinge lathes here where I work. I wish I could buy one. They are worth so much used you could by a used car!

Good luck with the new lathe. Post some pics of what you've made. I would like to see them.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Wow! Super awesome jelrod. Do you do any videos of them in action or photos of your work?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Wow! Super awesome jelrod. Do you do any videos of them in action or photos of your work?

I have a few more recent things I'll post up this evening. There are some examples on my sites. Here's the site for my rifle stuff:

www.mcr-rifles.com

Here is for the shop. Wow, looking at it now it's way outdated. I need to work on that.

www.modacam.com

posted Hide Post
Hardinge lathes have a spindle bore of 1.5". Did you enlarge that, or order barrel blanks slightly undersize?

-c1steve

Posts: 4040 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
It actually necks down to just over 1.250 where a collet closer attachment engages. That's no problem though. It works fine even on a 1.25 straight barrel. Unless larger magnums most all barrels are 1.25 or less shank size for what I do. I see people on other forums never recommend one for barrel work because they say they're too small. I just laugh and keep running this one. I do have fixturing set up on it front and rear. I had to make all that. I've got 4 jaw and 3 jaw setups for it too, and a 5C collet closer.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Here’s another picture of the Hardinge.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
It actually necks down to just over 1.250 where a collet closer attachment engages. That's no problem though. It works fine even on a 1.25 straight barrel. Unless larger magnums most all barrels are 1.25 or less shank size for what I do. I see people on other forums never recommend one for barrel work because they say they're too small. I just laugh and keep running this one. I do have fixturing set up on it front and rear. I had to make all that. I've got 4 jaw and 3 jaw setups for it too, and a 5C collet closer.

Literally understood only 20% of this paragraph, but I am super envious of this cool tool!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post