SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Beautiful Girl's New Ride
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Beautiful Girl's New Ride Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
2013 GMC Sierra 3500, Duramax turbo diesel, Allison trans, 4X4, guarded by Luck the Farm Dog. Only 14,000 miles. Was bought by a guy to tow a 5th wheel, and not used much.

All to pull a much larger horse trailer with living quarters. This will make horse shows very comfortable for her.

Other than regular changes of the fuel filter, is there any thing from a PM standpoint that keeps these trucks reliable?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Nice truck!! Only one Heads Up. Watch the tire pressure of the inside tire on those duals.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nice rig! Now you get to buy $6/gallon diesel. Big Grin

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Nice rig! Now you get to buy $6/gallon diesel. Big Grin

Yeah, we know... Gets 22 on the highway, but only 12.5 around town. Driving it is going to be like going to an old video arcade, when you had to shove another quarter in every few minutes to keep the game going.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Nice truck!! Only one Heads Up. Watch the tire pressure of the inside tire on those duals.

Thank you for this.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
nice truck $42k? I would use the Lucas Fuel treat every time I put diesel in it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
nice truck $42k? I would use the Lucas Fuel treat every time I put diesel in it.

What will the Lucas fuel treatment do?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The diesel today is crap. Any quality additive will help. I like Lucas as it is pretty affordable and will give the engine fuel system more lubrication among other benefits. Imho anyways. What did you pay for the truck? Looks like a gem.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Timely service of the transmission (fluid/filter) if you-re towing a lot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43797 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You bought your dog a truck? Razz

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice find. How’s the turning radius on that model?

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Luck will ride in style

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Visit Hotshots website, lots of good products to keep your diesel engine happy. I use a few of them especially EDT.

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At 14,000 miles, it’s hardly broken in. If you don’t know it’s service history, I’d change all the fluids and filters.

These for sure:
Brake fluid
Oil and oil filter
Coolant
Fuel filters

Probably these as well:
Transmission fluid and filter
Differential gear oil
Transfer case oil
Air filter

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Paid just over $50. We know the seller, and he's a "car guy". All service records came with it, and all fluids and filters were done 500 miles ago, new Michelin tires 1 year/3000 miles ago. Already has gooseneck hitch.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I had an ‘05 Duramax I got new. Put 185,00 on it with minimal issues. Traded it in for reasons unrelated to the truck really. I loved that truck!

For a diesel clean fuel is number one, followed by clean oil and clear air.

I started putting Wal Mart 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Like 1 ounce per gallon. I had a transfer tank in the back for hurricane season or vacations and I premixed the oil and fuel in there. Then it went through a water block filter as I filled the truck from it. I only filled the truck from the transfer tank on our trips out west so I knew it was getting filtered properly. I never had any fuel injector issues.

I changed my oil and filter every 5 thousand miles max and changed the fuel filter at the same time.

I installed a Banks intake and exhaust.

I also changed the transmission, transfer case and front and rear differential fluids much more frequently than recommended.

I used the block heater in the winter time even here in NW FL. The engine was much quieter when first started when doing this. Only drawback was a rat that decided he like the warm place to sleep for the night! Ever since then I always hit the remote a couple times to beep the horn before starting the truck.

The only mechanical issue I had was a fuel pressure pump going bad if I remember correctly. Indicated by the engine “pulsing” when sitting at idle in my driveway.

Not sure if your truck is a DEF truck. If so there may be other considerations.

The Duramax with Allison transmission combo is the best in the business hands down. I had Ford and Dodge owners say the same thing to me.

Did I mention I loved that truck?

Good luck and enjoy!

Posts: 1196 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Good deal Artie, They are expensive machines. Should go 300k easy. My 02' Cummin's Dodge is a beast. I am really liking it. Yours is like a new Cadillac compared to mine but it wasn't $50k either Wink I hope you three really enjoy it. Congrats.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Be very careful if you decide to add the long valve stem adapters for the inner rear tires. Some of them can leak, leaving you with a flat inner tire.

You might want to consider replacing the rubber valve stems with steel if not already done.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think they may already be steel.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
A beauty for a beauty!

Great looking truck. Enjoy it Artie.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post