SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Beautiful Girl's New Ride
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Beautiful Girl's New Ride Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. You don't often see a 10 year old truck with less than 1500 miles per year put on it.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Thanks. I think they may already be steel.
My delivery truck -- GMC 3500 -- had ongoing problems with valve stems. Replaced the rubber ones with metal and have not had that type of problem since then.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I purchase my Chevy with the DuraMax, I added another diesel filter before the OEM filter. It used a nice size Cat Filter that was twice the size of the OEM filter and 1/4 the cost of the OEM filter. I wish I could remember the name of the company I bought it from, came with everything needed to install it. IIRC, the company is called Nicktane.

I used Standyne fuel additive from day one and bought it by the case of twelve.
I also had a salesman that came to my work to sell oils and lubricants who was nice enough to sell me a 5 gallons pail of Castrol trans fluid at the price of our government contract. I also purchase several transmission filters. With the outside transmission filters that were so easy to change, I would change the trans filters every 3 oil changes. ( I know that was overkill but for the ease and price I thought it was worth it)

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue (as I understand it) with diesel fuel -

The new “clean” fuel goes through further processing to remove the sulfur content to run cleaner. This changes the lubrication qualities of the fuel. This is very important because the injectors depend on this lubrication to work correctly.
Running straight highway diesel can affect how the engine runs as far as smoothness and economy. Adding a lubricant then makes up for the poor quality of the fuel. It is possible that DEF fluid is meant to do the same thing. This seems to be contradictory - ie “let’s take something out to run clean, let’s add something back to run the way it is supposed to”.
So, an additive is called for. Which one? Your choice. I use “Power..something…something” and it only calls for something like an ounce for every 10 gallons. Pretty cheap for a smooth, reliable engine.
The newer trucks I really cannot address. They are so complex with sensors and filters and computers that I stay away from them.
My truck is a ‘95 Dodge Ram with a second generation 12 valve Cummins. At 200k and 27 years old it runs like a top. Through the winter I’ll add a little fuel lubricate to the fuel tank. In the Spring through Fall I use recycled, filtered vegetable oil. Typically between 15 and 30% to the diesel.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

Adding a lubricant then makes up for the poor quality of the fuel. It is possible that DEF fluid is meant to do the same thing.

DEF has zero to do with lubrication in the engine. In fact, it has zero to do with how a diesel engine runs. DEF is injected into the exhaust system before the SCR to provide hydrogen and extra nitrogen the SCR needs to convert nitrogen oxides in diesel exhaust to nitrogen and water.

Posts: 10945 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your pup will be styling. Nice truck.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have sure came a long way since my 1982 Dually with the 6.2 diesel. Beautiful truck, congratulations.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If you’ll be putting limited mileage on the truck you might not want to fill the Def tank all the way. It will go bad just sitting in there. It’s metered into the exhaust at a rate based on fuel consumption. Someone knows the rate for your truck. It’ll help decide.

I know farmers who bought hundreds of gallons to have on hand, only to cause problems months later when topping combines off for fall.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What load range tires did the previous owner. Put on ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the Duramax. I'm on my third one. My 2002 had 315K on it when I sold it. It is still running today. I sold my 2005 to my son because he was in need of a truck. It currently has 200K. My 2013 that I am diving now has 140K Great trucks.

Jim

Posts: 1340 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post