SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I plan to visit Alabama one day -- what should I do there?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I plan to visit Alabama one day -- what should I do there? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The USS Drum Submarine.

Do not miss it if go to the USS Alabama. It's sitting right next to it. I enjoyed it as much or more. You can go through it and all the innards amazed me. All plumbing and wiring... the dials and gauges and brass! I can't imagine 70 plus crew in that thing for extended periods.

Google image search gives an idea...

Link

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
"So, what would you suggest in Alabama?"
Stop for gas and then keep driving through. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Ask them if they like LSU Big Grin

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the CMP in Anniston AND The Berman Museum of History also in Anniston.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good trash talking about Bear Bryant is always fun. Making fun of their Southern accent is really appreciated as well as asking whether Deliverance was filmed nearby. (Just kidding).

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bossman:
Another vote for the CMP in Anniston AND The Berman Museum of History also in Anniston.

CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park....finest shooting range in the country. Actually located in Talladega though the depot where the garands, etc are processed/sold is in Anniston.

https://thecmp.org/ranges/tall...a-marksmanship-park/

0:01

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
....Alabama is a lot like the rest of the deep south though it probably doesn't have any one thing as unique as it's neighbors....

Thou speaketh from thine ignorance, kemosabe.Smile

26% of all the flowing water in the United States flows in or along the borders of Alabama. It is considered the second most geographically diverse state in the contiguous 48. And it is #5 overall in biodiversity.

And the beaches are "pretty good"? Well, I guess the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but the sugar white, quartz sand beaches that stretch from Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama to St.George Island, FL are unique in the United States. The crystal clear, turquoise to almost Caribbean blue waters combine with that sand to make these beaches the most beautiful in the continental US in my opinion.

So the beaches are just like panhandle Florida like I said? So they're not actually unique?

I just designed and built a hotel in Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores. I'm not ignorant if the area. It's a nice beach. It's not nicer than any of 30A in Florida.

Also, in number of species, Alabama is 5th. Georgia and Florida are 6th and 7th respectively. So, like I said, nothing special over its neighbors. Fact if the matter is that most of Alabama has an nearly exact analog to something in Georgia.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yellowjacket, I love the pics and know the area well enough to know some of the structures in the pics, but I have to admit that you cherry picked some pretty good tides for those shots. Generally the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area has a little more of the Mobile Bay silt/sludge that makes the water a bit less green than what we see when we go down to Pensacola Beach or (more reliably) Destin/San Destin. That said, we are currently looking at vacation homes, and the GS/OB area comes up first on our list d/t proximity to Memphis and familiarity.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post