SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I plan to visit Alabama one day -- what should I do there?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I plan to visit Alabama one day -- what should I do there? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
Long story short... my work and/or my family vacations have brought me to every state except for one... Alabama. I have documented evidence of being in every state except for Alabama. I will likely make a special trip just for the bragging rights of having been in every state. Likely I will fly into Birmingham, Pensacola, or Atlanta depending on airfare, rent a car, and go from there. likely 2 or 3 days or so.

But I see there are no national parks there, and when I search for "Alabama Tourist Attractions" the results are pretty slim.

So, what would you suggest in Alabama? Food, entertainment, Parks, activities, outdoor recreation. I'm open to any and all ideas.

I will likely go in the year 2021 or 2022, depending.

thanks

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail if you enjoy golf.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Space & Rocket Center

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barber Museum - amazing motorcycle collection

http://www.barbermuseum.org

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USS Alabama located in Mobile

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Try all the foods....can’t go wrong with a Poboy....
Around Mobile there are several civil war forts, there is also the USS Alabama!

Quintzels, famous for its seafood( the downtown one, the other one is not as historic)

My FIL lives in Huntsville and they got a lotta rocket stuff there, there is a You tuber Smarter Every Day (think his name is Destin) who lives there and his stuff is great.

CMP has an office there where they sell guns.....you can tickle that M1Garand itch...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Try all the foods....can’t go wrong with a Poboy....
Around Mobile there are several civil war forts, there is also the USS Alabama!

Quintzels, famous for its seafood( the downtown one, the other one is not as historic)

My FIL lives in Huntsville and they got a lotta rocket stuff there, there is a You tuber Smarter Every Day (think his name is Destin) who lives there and his stuff is great.

CMP has an office there where they sell guns.....you can tickle that M1Garand itch...

And where every gun supporter is supposed to visit at last once.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if I had to pick one thing to plan a trip to Alabama around, it'd be an Iron Bowl (Alabama vs Auburn college football game.) Runner up would be a Nascar race at Talladega.

Otherwise, Alabama is a lot like the rest of the deep south though it probably doesn't have any one thing as unique as it's neighbors. It'd beaches are pretty good... same as panhandle Florida. It's national forests are similar to Georgia and Mississippi. Tennessee has more mountains. Georgia has Atlanta. Mississippi has some big river and the delta. Louisiana has New Orleans. The thing Alabama does arguably better than anyone else is college football.

For nature, I'd probably go to Lake Guntersville or Mobile Bay.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked in Alabama for four years in the late 1990s. When I arrived there, I was told that there are three things that I would never hear anybody say:
  1. "This tea is too sweet."

2. "There is too much primer on that truck."

3. "You can't fix that with duct tape."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CWR67:
Barber Museum - amazing motorcycle collection

http://www.barbermuseum.org

THIS!

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
You should go to the CMP store in Anniston. Get yourself a nice rifle. I think it’s by appointment only right now though.

I just saw that this has already been suggested...

In Montgomery there’s some cool museums like the Hank Williams museum and the First White House of the Confederacy.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Outdoors:

Little River Canyon National Preserve(one of the deepest canyons east of the Mississippi River):
https://www.nps.gov/liri/index.htm

https://www.yelp.com/biz/littl...reserve-fort-payne-2

Orange Beach, on the Gulf Coast:

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Bellingrath Gardens and Home, just north of Mobile. I visited it in 1975. The collection of Boehm porcelein is exqusite. IIRC, the house has 27 identical Chippendale chairs.
https://bellingrath.org/visit/directions-parking/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
The USS Alabama is a must see. You don't get to check out a WWII battleship every state.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9368 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
If you like things that fly (and who doesn't?) the US Army Aviation Helicopter Museum at Fort Rucker in Enterprise, AL is a great place to spend a few hours.
My son-in-law was the ATC tower chief there for a couple years.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I lived in Alabama for a while in the late 80’s and still get over that way from time to time. We honeymooned in Mobile. I second the USS Alabama and Belingrath Gardens. The beaches were nice, too. We stayed in the historic Malaga Inn, though I understand its rating has dropped since we were there.

The Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is great.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program has its South Store in Anniston and the CMP Marksmanship Park is in Talladega. Great place to pick up an M1 Garand and to get in some practice (they have a store in Talladega, too, if you want to do it all in one place, but the selection may not be as good).

There are lots of nice camping and hiking opportunities in the Scottsboro/Guntersville area.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Space and Rocket Center - Huntsville AL
USS Alabama - Mobile AL
Orange Beach AL

Honestly if you make it to Orange Beach, you need to jump the state line to visit NAS Pensacola / Museum of Naval Aviation just over the border into FL. Impressive place.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
A couple of things:

It is "Wintzell's", not "Quentzels". It is a DELICIOUS chain in many cities in Alabama and Florida. https://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/. Try the bacon wrapped shrimp with Jalapeno.

If you go to the USS Alabama keep in mind that it is a steel box painted dark gray. It is hotter than Hell in Summer.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
AL native and on-again off-again resident for cumulative 35 years, still there many times a year for family and vacation home. All of the above are good suggestions.

See someone suggested the Iron Bowl. That is a terrific suggestion and if you could swing the expense and time to slot that in a great time (tickets to this game tend to run $250-$1,000 or more depending on the season). I was going to suggest simply any Auburn or UofA SEC opponent weekend. As an Auburn grad I may have a campus bias but either experience will be a fun eye-opener for someone from the PNW.

Barber would be at the top of my options as well. IMHO a beach is a beach, so meh.

The USS Alabama is like a trip back in time and worth it if you're in south AL.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
If you go to the USS Alabama keep in mind that it is a steel box painted dark gray. It is hotter than Hell in Summer.

It's a good simulation of what it was like onboard in the South Pacific during WW2... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post