SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does Nancy Pelosi want to delay or have the SOTU address in writing?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does Nancy Pelosi want to delay or have the SOTU address in writing? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
They saw the feedback when he talked about the wall; they didn’t come off looking good.

They don’t want to give him a bigger platform and gain more support.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Believe it or not, she's so desperate that she's willing to tell herself that it'll force - force, mind you - Trump to give up and sign any legislation that'll end the government shut down.

She's still big. It's Washington that's gotten small.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is security an issue when most attendees are Congress critters?

She wants it postponed because she has a tenuous grip on her own party. The leftists are chomping at the bit and willing to act the fool during the speech and go off official party message after. She needs more time to threaten, cajole, and bribe her party.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Simple fact is dems aren’t willing to compromise or deal on the immigration matter is because they don’t want it solved.

They don’t want DACA fixed, it gives them a talking point and means for fundraising.

They don’t want illegal immigration checked, it furthers the ideal of a “need” for social services and welfare state, their cornerstone, and the voter fraud is just a bonus.

For the past 15 years or so it seems the only real difference between Republics and dems is what they want to waste our money on. They are far more concerned with maintaining and increasing -personal power and wealth than they are on actually resolving any of the country’s problems.

As for the SOTU address, simply want to tie anything and everything possible to “The Shutdown” to convince people that it matters as well as trying to keep Trump from having the spotlight.

As others have said, do it from the Oval Office straight to the people and call out both sides for their dysfunction and inability to do the jobs they were elected to do.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - let the revolution start soon or else I might be too old to enjoy it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My first thought when I heard this is that perhaps some of the new radical members were planning to do something exceptionally stupid. Like protest, turn their backs, or heckle. Nancy may just need the extra time to snap these people back in line. I think she is despicable but she can be very politically shrewd from time to time.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's a tantrum

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
vthoky, the SOTU is first and foremost intended to be heard by Congress, in keeping with the Constitution, which states that the President "from time to time" must give Congress "information" about the state of the Union. The Constitution says nothing about addressing the public, although since radio and TV have been available those speeches have been broadcast.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
She just doesn't want Trump talking to the people in a format that will be broadcast by all the media to the world. All the dems can do is sit there and have a quiet coronary.

It's gonna be great. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Wait till the Prez introduces the Angel Families and describe the losses of children and loved ones due to killer illegals. I wouldn't want to be democrat lawmaker after that onslaught. The people will express their desires more forcefully and she knows it. Her members from Trump voting districts will be in a panic.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I`m sure the Senate can accommodate the SOTU address.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
I`m sure the Senate can accommodate the SOTU address.

Exactly. McConnell should make a big deal out of inviting him... and make Nancy look like a putz.
AND the Senate side of the Capital is smaller, so there will be less room for... Democrats!
It's a win-win!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Security? LOL

Dried Up Nancy is terrified (and should be) that Trump has the bully pulpit that night to make the Democrats choke on this shutdown.

Trump needs to keep her waiting until the day of, then tell her to pound sand.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if there isn't an immigration problem on the southern border then I guess we don't need DACA - a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

and just curious, if she wants the address done in writing, then her response should be in writing

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
About security. She really should have asked the Secret Service and DHS before sounding off. They have already replied that there’s no problem and the event has been planned for months.

(snip)

Odds favor the Dems walking out or boycotting.

1. As for security: so stinking what? Is there some rule that requires all the Congress to be present for the SOTU? It's typically a lot of standing ovations, and a little bit of substance --> an inefficient use of time. Let DJT tell them all to stay the heck home --> boom, decreased need for security resources. He can then make his SOTU address from the Resolute Desk, broadcasting it all to We The People (the people for whom the SOTU is prepared) via TV and Internet. Security needs? Minimal. Personnel needs? Also minimal. Boom... money and resources saved.

2. Doing so precludes Dems walking out and boycotting (aka grandstanding).

Problem solved? Confused

My thought exactly and send the transcript to her as the SOTU in the written form. Wink

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Pelosi and the Dems in general feel emboldened by the polls stating that Trump is more responsible for the shutdown than the Democrats. As long as this continues, Pelosi and Schumer will keep up their attack on Trump. I think that they are afraid that this may be reversed by his SOTU address. His poll numbers have a tendency to go up after addressing the nation.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I guess we don't need DACA - a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

Here's my solution to the "Dreamer problem".

Give each and every one of them two options:

1. Be deported to their country of origin. Once there they can apply for citizenship and be placed at the head of the line. No guarantees though.

2. Serve four years in the military. Upon ETSing, they are granted full citizenship.

Simple.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Fortunately, it’s not up to her. She literally has no power to stop him.

I pray he doesn’t let her.

-Rob

The president is required to present an annual State of the Union report.
quote:
U. S. Constitution, Article 2, Section 3:
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Up until FDR, presidents merely presented a written report to Congress. Holding a public spectacle is a recent invention, and it has become a circus, for the most part.

Traditionally (since FDR) the president has been "invited" to address Congress. Stupid Nancy in her petulant, childish and braindead manner thinks she can withhold this invitation, thumbing her nose at Trump. Trump's choices in the case are to declare an "extraordinary Occasion," present the SOTU address elsewhere (I'd like to suggest at the southern border), or just like presidents did before, just send them a letter.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Before Trump, I didn't care about the spectacle and usually tuned out.

Now that we currently have a POTUS that tells it like it is, I think it's great to see the politicians put on the spot. If they don't know what he's going to say, it puts them in a position where they have to react how they think their base will expect them to react, and for the leftists, this means that you look like a fool. On camera. For all the world to see.

"Tonight we have Angel Mother Mrs. Smith, who's child was killed by an illegal alien....."

DEMOCRAT LOOKS GRUMPY, SHAKES HEAD, GUFFAWS, GRINDS TEETH, SUCKS OLD-PERSON LIPS INTO DENTURES, TWEETS, "I'M LITERALLY SHAKING."

It's great optics!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sweet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post