SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hammer Drill Experts: A Little Advice Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer Drill Experts: A Little Advice Please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For your 1/4-1/2 holes, corded SDS.

Larger holes, forget the hammerdrills altogether and get dry diamond bits.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad used to install safety covers on swimming pools (the kind you can walk on) as a side gig. Typical cover was 30-75 holes needing drilled.

My dad liked to go cheap on every power tool he ever bought... EXCEPT THE ROTARY HAMMER.

He started with a hammer drill, quickly gave up and started renting rotary hammers. Once the business picked up he decided to invest in one.

Hilti is the way to go.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have used a Bosch Bulldog Xtreme rotor hammer drill for years. If your drilling a few small holes a cordless one will be fine but a good corded rotary hammer will blow them away.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
My dad used to install safety covers on swimming pools (the kind you can walk on) as a side gig. Typical cover was 30-75 holes needing drilled.

My dad liked to go cheap on every power tool he ever bought... EXCEPT THE ROTARY HAMMER.

He started with a hammer drill, quickly gave up and started renting rotary hammers. Once the business picked up he decided to invest in one.

Hilti is the way to go.

I did a few of those many years ago when I worked for a pool company. We dealt with commercial pools. 30-75 is nothing.

Agree on the Hilti at that level. Another big key was a long drill bit so you didn't have to bent over.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
For your 1/4-1/2 holes, corded SDS.

Larger holes, forget the hammerdrills altogether and get dry diamond bits.

This. You can do 1.25" with SDS max easily or 2" painfully with good rotary and time. Only problem is you're in the $800+ rage for SDS max Hilti or similar.

I have a $150 SDS Milwaukee that will do 1/4-1/2" for general homeowner stuff or light work stuff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a cordless 20V Dewalt SDS to go along with the other drills in the truck. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it works being cordless.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15726 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I greatly appreciate the advice given here—I knew nothing about the difference between a hammer-drill and a rotary hammer-drill.
I ordered a Makita XLT system cordless, uses SDS bits, and both a set and several backup bits.
I’m going to be installing a rattlesnake 1/4 inch mesh fence; the base is a low slump block wall, and I plan to use 3/16” Tapcon screws with fender washers about every 6 inches of about 125 feet of wall. The mesh will also be zip-tied to a four foot high wrought iron fence.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, you guys rock. Thanks for the advice to everyone. I bought the Bosch (Ensigmatic turned me on to it). Heck, I might go Linux now Big Grin

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Good Lord, you guys rock. Thanks for the advice to everyone. I bought the Bosch (Ensigmatic turned me on to it). Heck, I might go Linux now Big Grin

Now that's just crazy talk

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Bosch Rotary hammer and it will go thru hardened 30 year old concrete like a hot knife thru butter. Unfortunately the one we had at work "took a walk" and at over 700 dollars the owner isn't willing to replace it. If you want a rotary that will take 30 years of use and still work perfectly get the Bosch.

However if you just want a home use hammer drill then the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 inch hammer drill will work out well for holes 3/8 inch or less. Yeah it will do 1/2 inch holes but it's at it's limit with that size hole and I would consider it bordering on abusive. BTW, I have this drill and can tell you that when using to as a hand drill in steel with a large bit it will set you spinning if the bit snags. To be blunt it is powerful enough to hurt you so pay attention.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Another plus to the SDS rotary hammer is the variety of bits you can get, including chisels and small spades for breaking up hard dirt. There is also a wide scraping bit for removing thinest after you pull up a tile floor.

Bosch chisel bits.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
The Bosch BullDog SDS is almost as good as a Hilti hammer drill. At about 20% or less the cost of a Hilti. It will go thru anything you can throw at it. There is absolutely no comparison between the battery powered hammer hand drills (20V) and the Bulldog.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post