SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hammer Drill Experts: A Little Advice Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer Drill Experts: A Little Advice Please Login/Join 
posted
I need to install a couple of items around the foundation of my house. I've always rented hammer drills but now I just want to get one so I can do my occasional small projects without having to go to a rental center first. I know my son can make use of it too. My price range is $100-$150. With that in mind I have two questions:

1) Corded or cordless?
2) Brand? I do have a bunch of DeWalt 20V cordless tools.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you already have a bunch of 20v, then stick with that platform. If you have more than one battery (which I’m sure you do, skip the cord. Cordless nowadays is as good as corded if you have good batteries. The Home Despot has this one for $109.

I recently bought an M18 Fuel kit with the hammer drill and impact driver. I had to do a fair bit of concrete and cinder block drilling. It was pretty incredible how much power this thing had. It made the job a breeze. I would highly recommend these products, however since you already have the Dewalt 20v platform, stick with that.

Now if you’re looking to change platforms, the M18 Fuel lineup is pretty badass. Aside of having every tool under the sun available, the amount of power these tools have is no joke. I would highly recommend these.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
What Beancooker said.

I'd just add that it's a mistake to try to cheap out on bits for it. Good (ie, expensive) ones drill faster and last longer.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15264 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you been renting Rotary Hammer Drills? What size holes will you be drilling?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Have you been renting Rotary Hammer Drills? What size holes will you be drilling?

Typically 1/4" - 1/2"

posted Hide Post
Much depends on the specific material that you will drill into. We have some old brick on our home that will laugh at my Makita 18V drill, when switched to the hammer setting. And the old mortar is far to weak. So my cordless drill is pretty useless at trying to set an anchor in the exterior of our 1920’s home.

My Makita set is ~10 yrs old and I’m sure there are more capable, newer cordless sets. But I personally am content knowing that I can simply rent a big-boy hammer drill for the few times I need it.

I’m somewhat of the same mindset for a circular saw. A good corded saw makes a lot of sense vs the cordless unit that fits my LXT 18v line. The cordless stuff works great for basic drills, drivers, sawzalls, etc, but certain tools are best in a corded format.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd ask the question whether you need a drill or an SDS drill? I have both corded and cordless hammer drill, and neither could stack up to the benefit I received when I bought the cheapest SDS drill I could find.

I have this Dewalt corded:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DE...rill-DW511/100037000

And cordless hammegrdrill:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...ly-2804-20/305059499

But neither performed as well as this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/...ammer-kit-64288.html

IF you have to go into concrete, and I should know - I just framed my basement that is all concrete walls, those first two will leave you frustrated. Code required me to put in 60 wall anchors, I had to move a toilet drain line by 10" (in the floor), and had to knock out a 4" bath room vent.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've drill countless holes in concrete to mount machines..... A 1/2" hole with a $100 hammer drill, not ideal. Rotary Hammer drill is the way to go. After buying a Hilti rotary hammer drill I have never used my Milwaukee Magnum 1/2" corded hammer drill to drill concrete again. If for occasional use, check HarborFreights.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've drill countless holes in concrete to mount machines..... A 1/2" hole with a $100 hammer drill, not ideal. Rotary Hammer drill is the way to go.

Agree with this. A rotary hammer makes a much cleaner and more precise hole, with less effort. My Bosch rotary hammer can also be used as a hammer drill by flipping a switch. Not sure if all brands are like this, though.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I've drill countless holes in concrete to mount machines..... A 1/2" hole with a $100 hammer drill, not ideal. Rotary Hammer drill is the way to go.

Agree with this. A rotary hammer makes a much cleaner and more precise hole, with less effort. My Bosch rotary hammer can also be used as a hammer drill by flipping a switch. Not sure if all brands are like this, though.

After researching I think I'll go with the rotary hammer. No comparison after watching some YouTube videos. Probably do a HarborFreight thing to keep it in my budget and it won't be used commercially. Thanks for that bit of info!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a hammer drill for that purpose, but a rotary hammer. Difference is night and day, and that's no exaggeration.

When I started work on the Man Cave Project I knew a hammer drill wasn't going to cut it. Did my research, bought a Bosch 11253VSR Bulldog Extreme rotary hammer. Goes through the concrete in our basement walls, concrete that's frustrated more than one hammer drill and bits, like a hot knife though butter.

The crew that came out to remediate the cracks in our basement wall used the exact same rotary hammer. That's when I knew I'd gotten it right Smile

Just last week we had our well pump upgraded. Well guy pulls out a hammer drill to drill the holes for mounting the VFD on the wall. "You're probably going to want a rotary hammer for that. These are very hard walls in spots." He figured he'd be good.

He finally conceded defeat with "You weren't kidding about these walls" and we ended-up fetching my rotary hammer. Drilled with ease the hole his hammer drill could not. (I can pretty much guarantee he fried his bit trying it with his hammer drill, too.)

As an added benefit I can place the rotary hammer in hammer-only mode and use a variety of other bits for scaling or for splitting decorative rock or stone--both of which are a lot easier with that rotary hammer than with a chisel and mallet/hammer.

Here ya go: Bosch 11253VSR BULLDOG Xtreme 1-Inch SDS-plus Pistol-Grip Rotary Hammer (Though I bought mine from a local tool store, which I would recommend doing. Or at least HD/Lowe's.) Well within your budget.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Here ya go: Bosch 11253VSR BULLDOG Xtreme 1-Inch SDS-plus Pistol-Grip Rotary Hammer (Though I bought mine from a local tool store, which I would recommend doing. Or at least HD/Lowe's.) Well within your budget.

Seems like you found what I'm looking for and in my budget. Thanks Ensigmatic!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

Be sure to keep your SDS bit shanks clean. A little bit of debris on the oil will ruin the quick chuck in no time.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're welcome.

I only forgot to mention: Rotary hammers like that don't use a normal, smooth- or hex-shank drill bit. They use special SDS drill bits, which are kind of spendy. Then again: They don't burn out in one job.

E.g.: I did over seventy 4 in. deep, 3/16 in. holes for the man cave project with two bits--and the only reason it took two was because I bent one (which I can probably straighten-out).

Also: The tool shanks require lubrication, occasionally wiping off debris, and re-lubrication. Buy a tube of Bosch's lube while you're at it: Bosch Parts 1615430010 Tube Grease

I don't know what the stuff is. It looks and acts a bit like Vasoline, though. Maybe that's all it is. I just paid the $12. You don't use that much, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having drilled as many holes as I did, there is a massive difference in drill bits. My Milwaukee and Bosch SDS bits are the only ones that held up. Buy once, cry once.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to install a couple of items around the foundation of my house. I've always rented hammer drills but now I just want to get one so I can do my occasional small projects without having to go to a rental center first. I know my son can make use of it too. My price range is $100-$150.

I had several 4x4 post supports to be drilled in concrete. I took the cheep route and bought a hammer drill from Harbor Freight. My thinking was if it gets me through this project, I'll toos it. That was five years ago and I still have and use it for many projects around the house.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Just to let you know you made the right decision... A good rotary hammer will put a "hammer drill" to shame. Your hearing will thank you too.

Good call on the bulldog.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just used a similar Bosch rotary hammer drill thingee for my 7/8" redhead anchors for my four post lift.

The Dewalt bit worked just fine and drilled all eight holes pretty quick (5.5" concrete).

Russ

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bought a Bosch rotary hammer several years ago when we needed to put up plywood on several homes in a hurry with the hurricanes that hit FL.

We put up plywood on several homes and it never missed a beat into concrete block homes with several holes per board.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
What Beancooker said.

I'd just add that it's a mistake to try to cheap out on bits for it. Good (ie, expensive) ones drill faster and last longer.

THIS, the Bosch concrete bits are a very good set for the money and good bits make a huge difference.

I'd consider going corded if you're not going to use it often. Why, a corded hammer drill is good for 20-30 years or so, when seldom used. Cordless IS just as good, but what's not to say that 3-5 years down the line you don't switch from dewalt 20 volt Lion to something else. The Bosch corded drills are very good as well as a few other brands.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post