SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visitors to Knoville and Sevierville area be warned
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visitors to Knoville and Sevierville area be warned Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
Apologies in advance for the erratic writing and thoughts but I'm pissed off and tired and it's 2am. I can't quite sleep yet and hope to keep this from happening to anyone else. Took the family to Dollywood after visiting the VA for an appointment and after a long day we stopped at Puelos Grill for a late supper. Somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 someone punched out the passenger window and rear passenger side window of my Toyota FJ and stole my wife's purse and my get home bag. The wife's purse was actually a Kavu bag that didn't much look too much like a purse but it was in the floorboard on her side. The rear was filled with all sorts of luggage, fly fishing equipment, Yeti Roadie, bags from purchases etc and tucked in the middle and completely covered with a cheap blanket was my black go bag which was a Hazard4 Plan B full of gear. My Sphinx SDP Subcompact with 10 or so mags, 8 or 9 mags for my P938, a RMJ Littlebird hawk, Surefire E1D, Mick Strider Custom SLCC, Steiner Police binos, and on and on. The truck was parked right next to the restaurant and well lit in a populated area. They also hit another car a few down and only 15' or so from the entrance. A customer out for a smoke passed and noticed and came in to tell staff who eventually showed up at our table asking if we drove a blue Toyota FJ. Knox County 911 said no units would come out, even when we told them a loaded firearm was stolen and in play. The report is taken over the phone. I don't have stickers on the car that make anyone (including those in the know) believe there are firearms in the car purposely other than my Honorably Discharged Tennessee Vehicle tag. According to the manager that kind of crime never happens but the previous night there had been similar break ins at the hotel just up from the restaurant. I had not opened the rear door except at Smokey Mountain Knife Works so someone either saw me open the rear at the knife store and followed or just random break in at the restaurant area. My 8 year old daughter was so upset I had to pull over to let her throw up on the way home an hour south of Knoxville. A credit card charge showed up at a gas station in Jefferson City Tn which is a straight shot east on Strawberry Plains just as we were trying to get someone at Knox County to stop hanging up on us and respond. If anyone is visiting the area, use extreme caution with where you park, locking up valuables, etc. Dont let it happen to you.

A side note, Puelos was very apologetic, helpful, and bent over backwards to help. Staff and the manager helped sweep glass out of the seats and floorboards so my wife and daughter could safely sit and ride home. They also gave us the meal and the food was outstanding. Nice folks and good food at Puelos Grill.

Just remembered, there is a large TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) complex a short 3 minute walk from the restaurant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Especially bad considering a firearm was involved in the theft.

Car prowls are so common, I hate to leave my truck anywhere out of sight.

Of course you have to, so I do my best to make sure there's nothing in there of value, or at least to hide valuables as best as I can.

I also use a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrent.

I know it's not fool-proof, but better than nothing. Hopefully it will encourage a thief to move on and leave my truck alone.

As a side note, I stopped at a burger joint a few weeks back after an indoor range session.
I had a revolver in my range bag in the truck (and one strapped on, of course).
While waiting on our food, I asked my shooting partner to check the truck which was parked out of sight.
Everything was fine, but I was uneasy the entire time we were in the restaurant.

Hate thieves.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Even without your wife's purse in the car (which may or not have been visible), it looks like the rest of the stuff in your vehicle marked you as a potentially good hit.

That sucks. We go on long car trips with luggage too. I guess it's just a luck of the draw.

Somehow, I hope you get your stuff back and the perps caught.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this 10X. I'm headed there for a few days soon so I appreciate the heads up.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the police refuse to investigate,they are encouraging this crime. Video from businesses around the area,and checking the vehicle for fingerprints might have easily solved this.

Apparently the powers running that place are either too overwhelmed by crime, or they could care less.

Posts: 13072 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear you were hit. Don't take this the wrong way- I'm not saying it was your fault. The blame is on the perps who committed the crime. I am curious if you have an alarm on the vehicle. Most cars made in the last ten years have a factory alarm that will honk the horn and flash the lights if a door is opened without first being unlocked with an actual key in the door or with the remote entry fob.

Here are some tips to help prevent this type of crime:

I know it's a pain and not always possible, but I try to leave my vehicle so it looks like a rental with nothing in it. No purses, bags, or backpacks visible. No money visible- not a few dollars or even change in a cup holder.

Everything in the back of the SUV behind the last seat and under the cover (or in trunk). And I don't let people see me moving items into those places. If I'm going to eat, I make sure everything is moved at the last gas stop or whatever- not in the parking lot of the place I'm going into for an hour.

If the vehicle is loaded up where something has to be visible, I don't park it where I can't watch it, i.e. I sit at a table by a window where I can see my vehicle. That also goes for when I'm pulling a boat on a trailer. Always under observation if there is anything that would tempt a thief.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Damn, that is terrible. Sorry to hear. I really hate this vermin.
It is maddening that the police won't respond. And no, it is not a funding issue. And yes, I know it is a pita.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Damn thieves. Do you think the license plate attracted them to you?

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Anything left in a exposed vehicle, locked or not, is theft bait. 10X, by the way you're posting, I assume your a LEO, so I would think you'd know this.

This is why, whenever someone suggests getting a firearm to leave in a vehicle, I recommend against it. The likelihood of it being stolen, and ending up in the criminal weapons market is much more likely than it being used for the defense of the owner that put it in the car. If someone wants to store a firearm, or anything else they would not want to be stolen in a vehicle, they need to add some sort of secure storage to the vehicle. Of course then there's the issue of how hard it would be to steal the entire vehicle (although nowadays, which the various electronic systems tied to the engine control computer, it's a lot harder than the bad old days.)

Given situations like this, I wonder if it would be a profitable option for car makers to offer an option of increased theft resistance. Replace the tempered glass side and rear windows, and possibly the windscreen, with shatterproof polycarbonate, upgrade the door locks so they can't be slim-jimmed, etc. People spend a lot of money for fluff on cars/truck. I bet a lot of people would spend for added security.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not understand. Does the OP have a vanity plate?

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear this, we have eaten at Puleo's several times. There's no escaping the druggies - they will steal anything they can get their hands on to sell for another pill or another hit of heroin.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

From the OP:
quote:
I don't have stickers on the car that make anyone (including those in the know) believe there are firearms in the car purposely other than my Honorably Discharged Tennessee Vehicle tag.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about this. I hate thieves.
We went to Arizona for a week. On the way out there, and the way back, we stopped at restaurants and had the back or our explorer filled with 2 ARs, 3 .45 autos, 3 shotguns, about 3000 rounds(on way out), laptop, Nikon camera and lens, and assorted other valuables. We were lucky and did not get robbed. I did watch where I parked. I did have the stuff in the back covered, but our windows are factory tinted, but pretty dark.

I felt relieved to get home without incident, but I did take the guns in every night, along with computer and camera. I left the ammo in the whole time and did bring some back.
Hope they find the hood or hoods. I also hope they get what they deserve.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to hear this, we have eaten at Puleo's several times. There's no escaping the druggies - they will steal anything they can get their hands on to sell for another pill or another hit of heroin.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

From the OP:
quote:
I don't have stickers on the car that make anyone (including those in the know) believe there are firearms in the car purposely other than my Honorably Discharged Tennessee Vehicle tag.

Oops missed that. Did not read carefully. Thanks

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a "Honorably Discharged" license plate offered in TN. The rear windows are tinted dark, it was dark outside with some parking lot lighting, and there was an old, raggity mexican blanket completely covering everything in the cargo area so "IF" you could somehow see in the rear cargo area through the tint at night all you would see is a ragged Mexican blanket laying flat across the cargo area covering everything under it.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smash and grab. Pretty bold for any intelligent criminal. High risk, low reward. Of course if you are high on Meth, it seems like a good idea at the time. These guys do not look at plates, and often smash glass on unlocked cars.

I lived in Knoxville for five years and know the area. Sorry that happened to you.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Being broken into and having your stuff stolen sucks. I'll spare the details, but it has happened three time to me with a total loss of $35,000 . The last time, it was my house while we were away on vacation. I've been waiting four years now for the cases to go through the court system to get 1/10 of what was stolen back from one pawn shop.

Based on my experience with the my local sheriff, I'm not surprised the police in Sevierville didn't send an officer. If they don't have much evidence, there really isn't anything that's going to happen. I'm sorry.

What happened to you happens everywhere in this country, it is not limited to Knoxville and Sevierville.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given situations like this, I wonder if it would be a profitable option for car makers to offer an option of increased theft resistance. Replace the tempered glass side and rear windows, and possibly the windscreen, with shatterproof polycarbonate, upgrade the door locks so they can't be slim-jimmed, etc. People spend a lot of money for fluff on cars/truck. I bet a lot of people would spend for added security

Or if you are in the car, this system works well;

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Happened to me a few years ago at my gym. They hit 6-7 cars. They didn't get anything out of my car but f'd it up pretty good. Had to get new glass, repaint the door, rocker panel. Boy was I pissed, $500 deductible. The PD didn't want to send anyone either and I told them on the phone 6-7 cars are involved and they need to get off their asses. They finally sent out a unit and dusted all the cars after I went off on them. One guy in a truck had his pistol stolen. It was in his center console. Luckily that day I had my pistol on me in the gym in a safe packer. Ever since I have used a gun vault that generally gets my V1 radar stored in it while at the movies or anywhere I don't have line of sight. And ever since if I have valuables in the vehicle I go eat where I can sit on the other side of the glass from it and keep my eyes on it. If I cannot then I don't eat there or get the food to go. The world is full of thieves and thievery. The one time you relax and pause caution, they get you.

Viper and Compustar both have alarms out that send you text in the event of an alarm trigger. You could be anywhere in the world, as long as you have a cellular connection you'll be notified.

Very sorry this happened to you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your break-in.

When we drive long distances, state to state, whether it's Oregon, Utah, Texas, etc., we never leave the car unattended with our luggage and belongings in the car, even hidden in the trunk. Food is always to go, to eat on the road, except when we check into a hotel/motel, and then we empty out the car of all of our stuff, including sunglasses, phone chargers, etc.

Property crimes such as smash and grabs will happen anytime, anywhere, no rhyme or reason.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17154 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Terrible situation.
Surely karma will visit the miscreants who robbed you.
Hope your daughter wasn't too badly shaken up.
My vehicles, Saab and Honda, were broken into two separate occassions..
Once in New York City and another time on Cape Cod.
Lost possessions, but insurance covered all lost items.
No firearms were involved.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post