SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visitors to Knoville and Sevierville area be warned
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visitors to Knoville and Sevierville area be warned Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Does full vehicular coverage usually cover th contents or homeowners?

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My wife used to leave her purse in the car took me a while to break that habit, some thieves watch for women leaving vehicles without a purse, that to them means one is potentially in the car and it becomes a target. Not saying that it was a reason yours was picked but being that a few vehicles were hit randomly I'll bet they were watching and marked your car for some reason.

Posts: 24242 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Does full vehicular coverage usually cover th contents or homeowners?

Personal property in the car is covered by homeowners.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10532 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the break in. Good reminder for us all.

Posts: 6392 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm. It's like two
40s with every shot.
posted Hide Post
A few years back our friends had their Chevy Suburban stolen from the hotel parking lot in Pigeon Forge. The vehicle has yet to be found.

Posts: 619 | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear this. We've never had any trouble at any of the three locations there that we visit annually, Smoky Mountain Knife Works, the Coleman Outlet, or the Lodge Outlet. We usually have a back seat full of clearly visible travel crap but we've never parked there after dark, either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I try to leave my vehicle so it looks like a rental with nothing in it. No purses, bags, or backpacks visible. No money visible- not a few dollars or even change in a cup holder.

I got almost this exact advice from my father when I started driving in the 70's.

quote:
If the vehicle is loaded up where something has to be visible, I don't park it where I can't watch it, i.e. I sit at a table by a window where I can see my vehicle. That also goes for when I'm pulling a boat on a trailer. Always under observation if there is anything that would tempt a thief.

I got used to doing this before I ever started driving. When I was riding motorcycles or racing motocross, everything was pretty much out in the open truck bed or on an open trailer so there was no way in hell would I have not watched that like a hawk.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Update-got a call around 6:30 Saturday morning, not quite seven complete days since the smash and grab. Knoxville PD called to inform me my Sphinx SDP Subcompact was recovered....in Indianapolis Indiana. From Knoxville TN to Jefferson City TN to Indianapolis IN in 6 days. They found it in an impounded car. Property room up there doesn't open until Monday so maybe I'll get a few more answers then. I'm willing to bet it's not in as nice of shape as a week ago. Blows my mind.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Real sorry and can feel your pains.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.wcyb.com/news/johns...-break-ins/533821280

Same crime hitting Johnson City TN hard right now.

Posts: 13072 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update-got a call around 6:30 Saturday morning, not quite seven complete days since the smash and grab. Knoxville PD called to inform me my Sphinx SDP Subcompact was recovered....in Indianapolis Indiana. From Knoxville TN to Jefferson City TN to Indianapolis IN in 6 days. They found it in an impounded car. Property room up there doesn't open until Monday so maybe I'll get a few more answers then. I'm willing to bet it's not in as nice of shape as a week ago. Blows my mind.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it was not used in a crime, which is a good thing. Hopefully it is not evidence in an ongoing case and you can get it returned. I am sure some LEOs on this site are familiar with the procedure.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just stayed at the Best Western at Strawberry Plains last month and ate dinner at Puleo's. We have stayed/eaten there several times without incident. We were hit up by a panhandler in Puleo's parking lot, though.

Posts: 781 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Contacted the Marion County Property Room and they didn't have any idea. Hopefully they figure it out. Think I'll contact the Knoxville PD Investigator and see if he can help.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm sorry to hear you were hit. Don't take this the wrong way- I'm not saying it was your fault. The blame is on the perps who committed the crime. I am curious if you have an alarm on the vehicle. Most cars made in the last ten years have a factory alarm that will honk the horn and flash the lights if a door is opened without first being unlocked with an actual key in the door or with the remote entry fob.

Here are some tips to help prevent this type of crime:

I know it's a pain and not always possible, but I try to leave my vehicle so it looks like a rental with nothing in it. No purses, bags, or backpacks visible. No money visible- not a few dollars or even change in a cup holder.

Everything in the back of the SUV behind the last seat and under the cover (or in trunk). And I don't let people see me moving items into those places. If I'm going to eat, I make sure everything is moved at the last gas stop or whatever- not in the parking lot of the place I'm going into for an hour.

If the vehicle is loaded up where something has to be visible, I don't park it where I can't watch it, i.e. I sit at a table by a window where I can see my vehicle. That also goes for when I'm pulling a boat on a trailer. Always under observation if there is anything that would tempt a thief.

You would be surprised. One of my cars is a late model BMW with a sticker price of $57k. It has every option but no alarm. It's crazy I know.

When I had a soft top convertible I left the doors unlocked with nothing of value in the car. I would rather them open the doors then cut through a $2500 top.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
http://www.wcyb.com/news/johns...-break-ins/533821280

Same crime hitting Johnson City TN hard right now.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in Johnson City pretty regularly.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
People fucking suck.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Glad the gun was recovered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Driving trip today, with valuables. Besides the German Shepherd in the truck I plan to keep an eye on things.

WI is fairly low with the crime, but of course it can happen anywhere.

Posts: 6392 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Awful situation, regrets..

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Anything left in a exposed vehicle, locked or not, is theft bait. 10X, by the way you're posting, I assume your a LEO, so I would think you'd know this.

This is why, whenever someone suggests getting a firearm to leave in a vehicle, I recommend against it. The likelihood of it being stolen, and ending up in the criminal weapons market is much more likely than it being used for the defense of the owner that put it in the car. If someone wants to store a firearm, or anything else they would not want to be stolen in a vehicle, they need to add some sort of secure storage to the vehicle. Of course then there's the issue of how hard it would be to steal the entire vehicle (although nowadays, which the various electronic systems tied to the engine control computer, it's a lot harder than the bad old days.)

Given situations like this, I wonder if it would be a profitable option for car makers to offer an option of increased theft resistance. Replace the tempered glass side and rear windows, and possibly the windscreen, with shatterproof polycarbonate, upgrade the door locks so they can't be slim-jimmed, etc. People spend a lot of money for fluff on cars/truck. I bet a lot of people would spend for added security.

I agree with your opinion about leaving firearms in vehicles , unless they are in a secured type safe. There are times a firearm/s has to be left in a vehicle, but I think the firearm should always be on person vs using the vehicle as a storage place for a gun.

As for the shatterproof windows, that could be good or bad, good for deterring thieves, but bad for rescue situations where the windows have to be broken to extricate some person in a wreck.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Anything left in a exposed vehicle, locked or not, is theft bait. 10X, by the way you're posting, I assume your a LEO, so I would think you'd know this.

This is why, whenever someone suggests getting a firearm to leave in a vehicle, I recommend against it. The likelihood of it being stolen, and ending up in the criminal weapons market is much more likely than it being used for the defense of the owner that put it in the car. If someone wants to store a firearm, or anything else they would not want to be stolen in a vehicle, they need to add some sort of secure storage to the vehicle. Of course then there's the issue of how hard it would be to steal the entire vehicle (although nowadays, which the various electronic systems tied to the engine control computer, it's a lot harder than the bad old days.)

Given situations like this, I wonder if it would be a profitable option for car makers to offer an option of increased theft resistance. Replace the tempered glass side and rear windows, and possibly the windscreen, with shatterproof polycarbonate, upgrade the door locks so they can't be slim-jimmed, etc. People spend a lot of money for fluff on cars/truck. I bet a lot of people would spend for added security.

I usually take a fair amount of precautions but have not bitten the bullet to install a steel lock box. That's going to change. I take measures like stopping before I get to a destination and hide my weapons in places most would never think to look if I'm not able to legally carry them in. There aren't many places I don't carry but this time I got a little complacent. Nothing is fool proof and a steel lock box won't stop the pricks from breaking my windows but most aren't ever going to have enough time to get in the box. I sat at the other end of the restaurant. At least my wife asked me to hide her new Tag Heuer and checkbook and I had separated my Sig P938. Insurance has surprised me. I took a day to list everything I could remember, serial numbers, prices, and reference websites (for insurance.). That was a giant time saver. Between a $1000 deductible depreciation I got just over $4000 out of $5500 or so (going off the top of my head.). Initial lost of property was over $7500 without the wife's losses and truck damage (which is already over $1500. With the small amount of items recovered the $7500 went down. Still waiting for the truck repairs. With all the Sphinx issues, I'm still replacing the Sphinx. Still can't believe the Sphinx was recovered in an impounded car in Indianapolis. Credit card got used in Jefferson City TN and Pennsylvania. The distribution was much faster than I expected. Kudos to Knoxville PD, Jefferson City PD, Allstate, and a few others that shall remain nameless on request. Got my old wallet sized Georgia POST certificate and wallet Ham license back.