SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anyone Here Use Slack vs Teams?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Here Use Slack vs Teams? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So apparently my employer has decided to adopt Slack instead of MS Teams which doesn't seem to make any sense as we are 100% Microsoft for virtually every other major productivity/communication/collaboration tool.

I participated in a webinar showing off Slack and came away unimpressed; it seems a bit "nerdy" and too-techy for the average user to want to use on a regular basis.

Does anyone here use Slack?

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Teams. We evaluated Slack but it had integration issues with Outlook which was a high priority for us.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
We use Teams. We evaluated Slack but it had integration issues with Outlook which was a high priority for us.

I asked this question and got basically a "uhh...we'll figure that out when we get to that point"

WTF? Confused

quote:

Is Slack a direct competitor to MS Teams? If so, why wasn't Teams selected as it seems we use MS for virtually everything else? I read that Skype for Business was going away soon as it will become a part of Teams, if that's the case, what are we using to be using for IM if we are using Slack and not Teams?

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
We used to use Skype for Business, which integrated well with Outlook. Now we use MS Teams, which is much worse.

I use Slack with a client, and it is pretty good, for not being integrated.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We had Slack as a stand-alone, but just migrated to Teams since we use MS stuff - the integration crushes Slack.

There are things I dislike about Teams / MS, but they are minor annoyances and overall it has been completely worth the change.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I’ve used both extensively. Slack works much better for text communication. Teams is a little better for file sharing and working with groups. I’m not sure about Slack’s video capabilities. Teams only lets you see 4 screens at a time but video is good enough.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've tried both and franky I just use the Persistent Chat in Zoom (disclaimer I work for Zoom). It does everything I need it to do, and it is included with a Zoom License (even a basic or "free" license).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I've tried both and franky I just use the Persistent Chat in Zoom (disclaimer I work for Zoom). It does everything I need it to do, and it is included with a Zoom License (even a basic or "free" license).

Yep. I don't work for Zoom, but have one of their Enterprise Licenses and use Persistent Chat.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We're all in on O365, so Skype/Teams.

I think my wife's job uses Slack, but dont think they're using Office.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slack, extensively. We have a good few integrations, home grown bots, etc. But, we’re a tech company. Nerd factor 4, helmsman!

The video calls are decent for small chats, but chew through my MacBook pro battery in no time. We use Webex for larger things.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are a tech company and we use Slack and have not had any problems with it. It seems to work great for us. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We use Slack and Teams. No real problems with either platform.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Slack and rely on it heavily, unfortunately. The past two days it has been unreliable. Issues started out as some users not being able to see other users' posts. Then the service was unavailable for some period of time. Today we're having more of the missing posts issues. It's really affecting our ability to quickly communicate.

Direct messaging with a group of people is great, until you need to add another person. When you do, it creates a new "chat" with none of the previous posts. Grrrr!

From time to time Slack makes some really stupid updates. For instance, for a while, any starred contact you started typing a message to would be moved to the top of the starred (contact) list if you switched to another contact or channel. Pain in the ass because you would start searching for the contact again to only realize it had been moved to the top. That feature was short-lived, thank goodness.

Another example... File transfer used to have an option on download that allowed you to open the folder location of the file (in Windows this would be file explorer). That option is gone. So many people complaining about it.

Animated gifs in Slack are annoying as hell. Except "/giphy ass" - that girl wears a bikini well!

As bad as Slack sucks, it sucks less than Skype. I don't have any experience with Teams.

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I am a college professor who was forced to teach online due to this crazy pandemic. I used Teams to organize, teach, and record lessons. I've also used Slack extensively through my work with an engineering non-profit.

While I slightly prefer Slack as a standalone product, Teams' integration with the Office ecosystem makes up for its other shortcomings. There is enough momentum behind Teams at MS that I think it will be constantly improving. In particular, it still lags behind Zoom and GoToMeeting for videoconferencing in my opinion. MS will figure it out, or they'll just buy one of the other companies and plug it into Teams. Smile

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I work for a tech company and we use Slack. We’ve had it for four years now and it’s great. Lots of integrations, easy to use, great mobile functionality, etc.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post