SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I retire on 19 JUN 17 with 18 years on the force
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I retire on 19 JUN 17 with 18 years on the force Login/Join 
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Relax and enjoy. Learn or try something new you never had the time to do. Or volunteer and help a cause or group that you want to help.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Good luck and welcome to the next skill: learning to thrive in and enjoy retirement.

You'll be amazed how many friends/family will go out of their way to give you opportunities to not be bored in the new life style.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could take up a hobby that is not stressful--photography is one that I enjoy. Although taking pictures on trips is very satisfying, it is not necessary to travel far to enjoy the activity--just documenting life in your AO could be rewarding. Or become more active in your church or volunteer organization. Mentor students in some subject you are skilled in, or just become a "Big Brother". There are lots of things you could do to occupy your time constructively.

Enjoy your retirement (after a full recovery).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike will find you a hobby. On the top hits list:

-taking out garbage
-consulting on patterns/colors for (XXX) being redone
-run her over to xmart, it'll only take 5 MINUTES I swear (this, my good friend, is a lie from the pit of hell....)
-clean out the (garage, laundry room, barn, storage, closet, ad nauseum)
-fix the (shutters, siding, door, oven, et al)
-change the (light bulbs, air filters, etc).

Enjoy your new down time! Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I'm 47 and in good shape I had a stroke and now am having/had a seizure across my old brain damage such that; I sometimes use the wrong words (aphasia) Other than that I'm good.

Yeah, being 47, having a seizure, and having to retire is a big load on the mind. But you have to listen to the Mrs. even if only for her sake.

You're just having a "time out." It doesn't mean you're not going to do anything else for the rest of your life. Don't rush it. I bet you have a lot to catch up on with the things you couldn't attend to because of work.

Take care, man.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I toast your continued good health and a great retirement, well earned sir!

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I was medically retired in '01 and YooperSigs summed it up well. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the retirement!

All my friends that pulled the pin all look younger now!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8523 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your retirement, listen to your wife and I hope you are getting better by the day so you can go back to driving. Best wishes.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Enjoy your retirement, just the same.

May I ask - do you or they know what caused the seizure and resulting problems?

Another friend of mine, otherwise healthy and normal, recently had a similar problem pop up out of nowhere. They think it was dietary, of all things. Scary business.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Enjoy your retirement, just the same.

May I ask - do you or they know what caused the seizure and resulting problems?

Another friend of mine, otherwise healthy and normal, recently had a similar problem pop up out of nowhere. They think it was dietary, of all things. Scary business.

They found out I had a torn artery in the left carotid artery that caused the clot and my stroke. More recent issue got me to a new brain doc who found I have very tiny arteries in my brain, thus the initial elevated BP in my carotid and dissection...The new seizure is because of the old injury...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing you the best health in your retirement Mike. Take care and be well.

Semper Paratus

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
what agency? if you don't mind me asking.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your retirement. Get back into the work life when you are doing better.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your service, I appreciate what you've done. Good luck with retirement, enjoy it to the fullest

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
congrats! I can also pull the plug on my LEO career in 138 days.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
All the best to you on your retirement.
Be wary of long term side effects of the anti seizure medications... They can be debilitating.

All the best,
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

So, I'm not gonna be a cop anymore...

Incorrect. You'll be a RETIRED cop.

Congratulations and best wishes for a long and healthy retirement!

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is hard to do but I have found that there is life beyond retirement. Congratulations!!

Posts: 995 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
If I were you- I'd not do a damn thing until at least after Thanksgiving. Wouldn't shave neither. Might not even shower. Big Grin

I've always said Cop years are like Dog years. We should be able to retire at 10 or 15.

Sorry to hear you're being forced out medically- but embrace it. You've done your part. We've got it from here.

Posts: 1629 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post