SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I retire on 19 JUN 17 with 18 years on the force
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I retire on 19 JUN 17 with 18 years on the force Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Some of you may remember my recent medical issues...

Due to my brain injury, my doc has seen fit to have me medically retire...

My last day of work (office work) was last week...

Right now I'm burning up vacation-kinda like terminal leave in the service....

So, I'm not gonna be a cop anymore and these last few days has been a YUGE weight off my shoulders (regarding stress-which may incite another seizure)...but now I've gotta find something to do..

Mrs. Mike has assured me that we are fine financially if I never work again, but I feel like I need to do my part.

Although I'm not allowed to drive until I'm seizure free (1 more month to go).

Currently, I'm playing the part of BOB Villa and helping my big kid get his new to him house fixed up..

Anyway, just taking it easy is nice

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your retirement. I retired in 2003 and still miss it.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Lay back and enjoy your life,you have earned the rest.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the rest. I think I'd have to have at least a part time job or I'd go crazy (or be murdered by the Mrs.)
I don't think I've read the backstory, but good luck on getting the DRs to release you to drive. Don't take their waffling - ask very direct questions & know the laws of your state.

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on retiring, wish it could have been under better circumstances.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If your health permits it, this might be a good time to start walking every day for exercise. I retired in February and started to walk every day. On good days I can do 3 miles. Any more than that and plantar fasciitis rears its ugly head.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If your health permits it, this might be a good time to start walking every day for exercise. I retired in February and started trying to take a walk every day. On good days I can do 3 miles. Any more than that and plantar fasciatis rears its ugly head.

yeah, I've been walking every day-just to keep from going crazy. Sometimes several miles. I'm 47 and in good shape I had a stroke and now am having/had a seizure across my old brain damage such that; I sometimes use the wrong words (aphasia) Other than that I'm good.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the reason for the retirement, but do hope that you have a full recovery and enjoy it - you have definitely earned it. Thank you for your service!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your circumstances however, congrats on retirement.

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, thank you and best wishes with your health issues.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC: I'm 47 and in good shape I had a stroke and now am having/had a seizure across my old brain damage such that; I sometimes use the wrong words (aphasia) Other than that I'm good.

We all wish for early retirement, but I'm very sorry for the stroke that brought it about. Focus on your health and add a bit of part time work to keep your mind busy. Have some fun!

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your much deserved retirement.

Why not take a month or two to decompress then think about a job. With your background you could get a position with a local company in charge of their security team. This would be an office type job, not walking the beat. Many on my department do this with local banks/companies/malls.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2711 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Enjoy yourself. The feeling of getting rid of the work phone and the all hours of night and days off call-outs were a great relief. I am more busy in retirement as you may well be also! Enjoy.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1437 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
Pardner... I retired back 4 years ago... I'm busier now than I was working for a livin!!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4590 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement. Thank you for your service. I hope you heal well and enjoy your time with your family.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike, Sorry you had to retire that way, but sometimes we are not in charge of these medical issues. I speak from experience. I was fortunate to be able to do 33 full time, and more years as a reserve officer, after getting shot along the way. Once you're adjusted to retirement, I think you'll find plenty to occupy your time. May seem strange at first not thinking about what happened on your last shift, or getting ready for the next, but it is kinda nice to do, or not do, things on your own schedule. Hang in there and enjoyWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1577 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our best wishes for you and yours in this next chapter of your life.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy and work through it.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the new chapter of your life. I retired in 01. I still miss the excitement and camaraderie of being with the guys.
I don't miss the rest of it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post