SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Le Tour de France is underway
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Le Tour de France is underway Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
is this still a doper show?

If you don't like the sport why don't you go elsewhere. Doping and cheating have been present in almost every sport ever invented.

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Reference the post on page 1, Police are now looking for the fan who caused crash.

https://mol.im/a/9729833

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my wife says everyone, not just the police, is looking for her all over social media. It's just a matter of time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I would not have thought to look for it this early. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Reference the post on page 1, Police are now looking for the fan who caused crash.

Up to a year in prison? Please. Let's regain our perspective, shall we? Roll Eyes

This gal wasn't motivated by malice; she was merely entirely self-absorbed.

Oh, my, how dramatic! "Mon Dieu! I shall never pedal again!!" Roll Eyes

A year in prison. Please stop and think about that for a second. What did she actually do? Was anyone killed or seriously injured? She will face fines and civil suits and I am certain the French will dole out what they consider to be le Justice, to satisfy all the upset fans.

Let us call upon the ghosts of all the great detectives of French literature and film. The manhunt must go on. Justice must be swift. Find this demon at all costs! She caused men on bicycles to FALL OVER!! Don't you understand that she's literally Hitler!!

Get the Guillotine out of mothballs, sharpen and oil the blade!

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Typically the first week of the Tour is pretty ragged with crashes. Its amazing fan caused crashes don't happen more often as close as they tend to get. I remember Armstrong going down one year when his handle bars got tangled up in a ladies purse strap.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A year in prison seems a little harsh.
Maybe A smoking head noogie, atomic wedgie and a chipped tooth would do the trick.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could give her the Steve Bartman treatment. Cubs fans still remember his name. The guy got death threats and had the police surround his residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Typically the first week of the Tour is pretty ragged with crashes. Its amazing fan caused crashes don't happen more often as close as they tend to get. I remember Armstrong going down one year when his handle bars got tangled up in a ladies purse strap.

and he was able to get back up and retake the lead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7TCVQQeaw0

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry some of you guys got your panties in a wad over a legit question.

Did not really get into the woman thing. Seem's funny though and appropriate considering things there. Razz

Enjoy the show. I have no issue with it. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
One dude broke 4 ribs, another fractured both elbows and still rode (adrenaline). Both are out of the tour now.

DNF: Cyril Lemoine (B&B Hotels-KTM) - broken ribs, punctured lung, cut on scalp
DNS stage 2: Marc Soler (Movistar) - fractured radius, left and right, fractured ulna

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Up to a year in prison? Please. Let's regain our perspective, shall we? Roll Eyes

This gal wasn't motivated by malice; she was merely entirely self-absorbed.

Oh, my, how dramatic! "Mon Dieu! I shall never pedal again!!" Roll Eyes

A year in prison. Please stop and think about that for a second. What did she actually do? Was anyone killed or seriously injured? She will face fines and civil suits and I am certain the French will dole out what they consider to be le Justice, to satisfy all the upset fans.

Let us call upon the ghosts of all the great detectives of French literature and film. The manhunt must go on. Justice must be swift. Find this demon at all costs! She caused men on bicycles to FALL OVER!! Don't you understand that she's literally Hitler!!

Get the Guillotine out of mothballs, sharpen and oil the blade!

I'm not necessarily saying she should get a year in prison, but being charged with a crime that carries a maximum possible sentence of a year doesn't seem that out of line.

In Texas, one of the definitions of assault is when someone "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another." There are a number of additional conditions that can make assault a felony, but without any of them, it is a class A misdemeanor carrying a maximum sentence of up to a year in county jail. So punching someone could conceivably get you a year of jail time.

She certainly seems to have "recklessly caused bodily injury."

The average casual bike rider probably bikes around 10 mph, maybe 15 mph if they're in decent shape. The average speed on the Tour de France is around 25 mph, that's closer riding a motorcycle on city streets (in gym clothes and a helmet, not moto gear).

I commuted to work on an e-bike for a while and would huff and puff and pedal hard to go 28 mph for a few blocks on a busy street where I didn't want cars swerving around me. I've fallen off bikes going slower than that and gotten hurt (bad scrapes and cuts and once a broken rib) and fallen skiing going about that fast and gotten hurt, despite snow being a lot softer than pavement (sprains and huge bruises and two separate falls with broken ribs).

I would MUCH rather get punched than fall off a bike going 25 mph on pavement, even WITHOUT having dozens of other people crashing all around (and probably on top of!) me.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
One dude broke 4 ribs, another fractured both elbows and still rode (adrenaline). Both are out of the tour now.

DNF: Cyril Lemoine (B&B Hotels-KTM) - broken ribs, punctured lung, cut on scalp
DNS stage 2: Marc Soler (Movistar) - fractured radius, left and right, fractured ulna

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/0...-the-tour-de-france/

According to this article, those injuries actually happened in a later crash (although 9 riders were seen by doctors following the spectator-caused crash and one has dropped out of the race), but either way, they should make it pretty clear that "falling off a bike" isn't a joke, especially at world-class race speeds in a tight pack of riders.

The second crash also had someone get knocked unconscious, someone get 10 stitches, and someone get a separated shoulder.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:

and he was able to get back up and retake the lead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7TCVQQeaw0

I remember that. I also remember a guy crashed hard on a decent and broke his hip right before a switch back. Armstrong picked up his bike and on foot cut the course and mounted again and off he went. I was sure he would get DQ'd, but he had the presence of mind to know who was ahead of him, and made sure he got in behind that rider. He wasn't DQ'd because he didn't advance his position because of cutting the course. Still I don't think many other riders would have gotten away with that.

posted Hide Post
I saw the tour in 2005. Those speeds are no joke. Two years ago I crashed doing about 20mph, causing road rash and my pinkie to point the wrong way. Yesterday, I finished a 3-day, 290 mile ride down the coast, with dozens of downhill stretches of 35-48mph. The pucker factor is real.

The woman was negligent and should be charged and prosecuted to the laws on the books. She shouldn’t doxed or anything.

The TdF is a huge 3-week carnival, major cultural event that generates millions for local economies. Its quite serious. It’s not a run of the mill 5k.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I start braking when I hit 35.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember that. I also remember a guy crashed hard on a decent and broke his hip right before a switch back. Armstrong picked up his bike and on foot cut the course and mounted again and off he went. I was sure he would get DQ'd, but he had the presence of mind to know who was ahead of him, and made sure he got in behind that rider. He wasn't DQ'd because he didn't advance his position because of cutting the course. Still I don't think many other riders would have gotten away with that.

Not exactly. Armstrong rode his bike off road, or more accurately was forced off road by the crash. He really had no choice or he would've ended up on the deck as well. I remembering watching it live when it happened and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The rider who crashed was Joseba Beloki, and I believe it effectively ended his career with a shattered hip. Nasty injury.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a period during Armstrong's heyday when San Francisco held a Grand Prix with a number of big name teams. It was an interesting race where the riders would actually haul ass up some of the steepest hills the city had. What was equally impressive was the support vehicles for each team, all performance Audi, BMW, Mercedes, with the drivers mashing the suspension attempting to keep up with the pack and not wipe-out spectators as they would come down or, up a hill and have to make hard turn at 20-30+ mph on a city street.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
What was equally impressive was the support vehicles for each team, all performance Audi, BMW, Mercedes, with the drivers mashing the suspension attempting to keep up with the pack and not wipe-out spectators as they would come down or, up a hill and have to make hard turn at 20-30+ mph on a city street.

Watch the bikes on a serious alpine descent. There are very few drivers on the motos or in chase vehicles who can keep up with them. A good descender can easily hit 70+ mph on a down hill on a road bike! I think the highest recorded descent speed was Sean Kelly at close to 120kph (nearly 100mph)!!

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
What was equally impressive was the support vehicles for each team, all performance Audi, BMW, Mercedes, with the drivers mashing the suspension attempting to keep up with the pack and not wipe-out spectators as they would come down or, up a hill and have to make hard turn at 20-30+ mph on a city street.

Watch the bikes on a serious alpine descent. There are very few drivers on the motos or in chase vehicles who can keep up with them. A good descender can easily hit 70+ mph on a down hill on a road bike! I think the highest recorded descent speed was Sean Kelly at close to 120kph (nearly 100mph)!!

Crazy.
My personal bests were ~32mph on flat road (drafting in a group of 9 & I was about 7 from the front) and just over 40mph downhill.
40mph with that tiny contact patch was a bit unnerving.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post